1. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

What song(s) best describe your character(s)?

Discussion in 'Word games' started by Link the Writer, Oct 8, 2011.

I'm not sure if this should've been in the Lounge instead, but since it's a "game", of sorts, I'm going to put it here.

Like the title says, what song(s) best describe your character(s)? To prevent one-word posts, explain why that song best fits that character.

You can do more than one character, btw. ;)

I'll start:

Heridon Copper
    His song seems to be the the theme of the Atlanta Braves baseball team. I think it's because he's a college baseball player and aspires to become a professional baseball player. He also loves the Atlanta Braves and the state of Georgia. :p

Your turn!

2. Space_Goose

Space_Goose New Member

The main character in the current story I am working on is based on me and my personality or at least the way I see my own personality.

So to answer this question, i would have to give the song that I feel best describes me.

I think that has to be "Here I go again" by Whitesnake. I think that fits my character very well.

3. jnk1296

jnk1296 Member

This is a question that I myself have yet been unable to fully answer. At least, I haven't been able to find that one 'perfect' song.

My main character Izzy seems to have quite a few songs that could describe her. These are just five of a playlist of 90 songs I have for her on iTunes:
    "She Don't Want the World" by 3 Doors Down - Because she feels hopeless at times, but finds new life at the end of the story.
    "On My Sleeve" by Creed - Because this is just about how she feels at the beginning of the story.
    "Life Must Go On" by Alter Bridge - Because she needs someone to tell her to pull through, which is what this song sounds like it's saying to me.
    "It's the Only One You've Got" by 3 Doors Down - Mainly for one single line in the song. That is, the part where it says that they think they're the only ones that don't have to try.

That's the bad thing about complex characters. They're often hard to describe! Which is why this is such a big post. :p

4. AtAvi5t_Ev3Nt

AtAvi5t_Ev3Nt New Member

One of mine is named Ben Raevll. His song would have to be "Cowboy" by Kid Rock. (Although, Trapt's "Headstrong" works too...)

5. Quezacotl

Quezacotl New Member

Guile's Theme works for all characters.

Renke: Always With Me, Always With you (Joe Satriani) The song's tone fits his character: very relaxed, calm, but can get into a fury quickly. Directionless.
    Kurt: Persona (Machinae Supremacy) often has good intentions, but can be blunt, insincere.
    Maia: Come on Home (Franz Ferdinand) Needs some sort of understanding, love, etc. Lost.
    Luciana: Destiny (Statrovarius) Confident, active, over a depressed mask.

Sion: Architects or Broken Mirrors (Rise Against) An activist, very passionate, philosophical. Can lose sight of his goals.
    Crowd Chant (Joe Satriani) Very extroverted, friendly.
    Free (Powerman 5000) Very liberal.
    Reese: Lemonade (Tsunami Bomb) Moving on from the past, passionate, but needing to express some anger.
    Satch Boogie (Joe Satriani) Otherwise a free, peppy spirit, very vocal.
    Don't Stop Me Now (Queen) Teasing, fun-loving.

1 person likes this.
  6. suddenly BANSHEES

suddenly BANSHEES Senior Member

It's always such a relief to see other people talk about having character/story playlists. Makes me feel like less of a dweeb for having one.

For my character Sawyer, "Flagpole Sitta" by Harvey Danger fits him almost to a T. He's a really anxious person, and tends to overthink things and jump to wild conclusions.

"Clint Eastwood" by Gorillaz suits Benji, because he's usually pretty content, but knows that something big is coming and he's going to have to be a part of it. "Mowgli's Road" by Marina and the Diamonds fits him, too, because he's not totally sure what is and isn't "right."

7. pk.

pk. Active Member

"To here knows when" by My Bloody Valentine. It's hard to explain why I associate it with myself, it's more the "feel" of the song...

8. Jonathan22

Jonathan22 New Member

When I think of the two main characters in my novel plan I always think of The Modern Leper by Frightened Rabbit for their relationship, and Jesus of Suburbia to describe the protagonist individually (by Green Day) because he wants to find a place to call home.

9. Liza

Liza Active Member

Ariza: She's too complicated for one song, and she has these "phases" that pop out in her personality, since she goes through a lot. So, first book: Playing God by Paramore. She's very rebellious here. Second book: Unbreakable by Fireflight. Third Book: When It Rains by Paramore, it would be about her. She loses someone she cares about dearly and withdraws into this state.

Jei: If It Kills Me by Jason Mraz. I think this suits him because he's good friends with Ariza and he teases her all the time.

Seah: Don't worry, be happy by Bobby McFerrin. He's very easygoing and good natured.

- Way too many major characters to find songs for. I'll stop now.

10. bobnr32

bobnr32 New Member

Dave the Rave from Atheist in the Holyland: Nowhere Man by the Beatles.
    "Making all his nowhere plans for nobody" sums up his limited philosophy of life.

11. Seraph751

Seraph751 If I fell down the rabbit hole... Contributor

Slept So Long - Jonathin Davis
    "I see hell in your eyes..." is an impression many get when seeing Cherry. "I've slept so long without you" How long she has been waiting for Zane.
    There are a lot other things this song has in direct correlation to Cherry's character that I am smoothing out.

12. Phens97

Phens97 New Member

Laura Barnes: "Guerrilla radio" by Rage against the machine. she is a literal rebel, passionate and fierce in all she does. i refer to her as 'the showstopper' as, though she may be dominutive, she can walk into a room and commands the attention of all present with both her beauty and her blunt personality

Stacy Styles: Marilyn Manson- seizure of power. an average woman in a harsh world. she has been thrown into a place where every choice, every second decides whether you live or die. running on adrenaline, she adapts quickly and well. if you knew the story the song would make more sense

John Sitori and Natalie Wilson: Glitter and gold- Barns Courtney. because nothing quite says "i'm playing to win by not playing" like shafting a criminal kingpin and stealing the key to a hole containing ten billion in gold from him

Carolina Cassidy: (not sure on the artist, found it on youtube) Gonna need a grave - Urban country. Rocky mountain woman turned mercenary then conscripted at gunpoint into government work bringing down a gang of post-apocalypse bandits. she isn't especially tough or the best fighter, but she makes up for it in sheer, unadulterated tenacity.