1. Wynter

Wynter Active Member

What Tense Do You Like the Most?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Wynter, Dec 7, 2014.

I myself don't mind Present, but lately I seem to really like writing into the past, like having a character recount their journey so it gives a more reflective feel.

What do you guys like?

2. daemon

daemon Contributing Member Contributor

It depends on whether or not the narration itself happens in-universe.

3. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Staff Supporter Contributor

I used to always write in present tense, for some reason... Lately though, I've come to like using past tense in all my writing. I personally find past tense to fit better with third person perspectives than first person (unless the first person story is written as a journal, after the events of the story).

4. jaebird

jaebird Active Member

I used to write all in the past tense, probably because most of what I read back then was in the past. I'm sort of testing out present tense right now, and I like it a lot. I wrote one book that was a mixture of the two. As far as picking which one to use, it can depend on the perspective (I'm more inclined to use present with first person) and the type of characters I want to use in the story.

5. Lancie

Lancie Contributing Member

I really like present tense but I find it difficult to write in, I usually slip up grammatically if I do that.

6. peachalulu

peachalulu Contributing Member Reviewer Contributor

Whatever best fits my tone and story. I love past it's easy to work with. You don't have to over think it. It's my go-to tense for most stories. As for present I love it for whenever I want to present a dry characterization. It can be very immediate but it also has it's limits as it can show the inner story workings ( it can draw attention to itself ) a lot more than past. And it can also sound very script-y if you're not absolutely cautious with your wording.

7. Wreybies

Wreybies The Ops Pops Operations Manager Staff Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

I like pretense, but you have to be clever to pull it off, else the reader will see right through it. ;)
    I like intense, but depending on the topic, we may need a safety word. :whistle:
    I don't like hypertense. It's murder on the kidneys when not controlled and cutting salt out of one's diet is a bitch. :unsure:

8. theoriginalmonsterman

theoriginalmonsterman Pickle Contest Administrator Contributor

I like all of the tense put together into one story...if that makes any sense :confuzled:

9. Chinspinner

Chinspinner Contributing Member Contributor

Rarely. Past for me.

10. Lilly James Haro

Lilly James Haro The Grey Warden

I prefer reading present tense but prefer writing past. I am however awful at keeping my writing all in the right tense.

11. Renee J

Renee J Contributing Member

Past tense. Mostly, though, it's not a recalling of something that happened years ago. But, rather, something that happened seconds ago. It feels more like present tense in that the POV character doesn't know how the scene will end.

Komposten likes this.
  12. the_evil_ted

the_evil_ted New Member

I love reading in past tense.

Find it hard (or multiple re-writes) to restrict myself to one tense while writing. That said, whatever I write is 90% present tense on the first draft unless I consciously decide otherwise.

13. Michael Pless

Michael Pless Active Member

I'm new here but thought I'd offer my thoughts. I agree with Lancie. For a long time the only way I wrote was past tense, but I picked up a collection of short stories by an Australian author Richard Lunn. He wrote predominantly in present tense, either first person or third but sometimes even in second person.

I tried to do it and gradually got in the swing of things, and like the immediacy that present tense brings to the story. Now it feels a little foreign to write in the past tense.

14. SwampDog

SwampDog Contributing Member

From time immemorial, the history of story-telling is to recount events of the past. I would find it odd to sit round a fire and listen to an elder tell a tale in the present. Stories are about past events.

Yes, the art continually evolves. But for me, at present, it's the past.