1. Jillie415

Jillie415 Member

What to do about Writers' Block?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Jillie415, Mar 26, 2015.

I'm just posting this to see what kind of suggestions or solutions that might be out there for writer's block. Currently, I'm working on a novel but I'm stuck. I don't know where to take the story from the point it currently is. I haven't written the characters into a corner, and I do know how the story is supposed to end, I just don't know how to get it there. I've tried outlining the story and I've tried going on to other projects and coming back it I haven't been able to make much progress. Does anyone have anything that works for them that they'd be willing to share with a novice amateur writer?

Please and thank you! Happy writing!!!

2. RachHP

RachHP Contributing Member

Hi Jillie, I get the feeling there's a thread about writer's block elsewhere which may contain some handy tips (okay I'm going to go looking.....)
    :I'm back:
    http://www.writingforums.org/threads/writers-block.15171/
    http://www.writingforums.org/threads/avoid-writers-block-and-create-a-story.137224/
    This isn't directly related but made some references and had some good ideas http://www.writingforums.org/threads/just-write.136935/#post-1303821
    Tah dah!

Anyway, since you asked: I skip ahead and write the bits I'm not 'blocked' about (so in your case, skipping the middle and writing the ending), make bullet points/generally list and plot out the route so I have a blueprint, or write a list of what CAN'T happen because that shakes the cobwebs loose and helps me narrow down what I do want to happen.
    Sometimes you've just run out of steam and writer's block is your brain's way of saying I'm tired! Then it's time to feed your brain via films, tv, books, music - generally anything story related or inspirational, or just take a nap.
    Hope that helps :)

3. Renee J

Renee J Contributing Member

If I write my character into a corner, I back up and think about how it could go differently. If I'm still stuck, I back up even more. Eventually, I get moving forward again. And keep the old stuff you wrote because you may be able to put part of it back.

4. Jillie415

Jillie415 Member

Thank you everyone for the great suggestions!

5. AASmith

AASmith Contributing Member

I do not always write in order. The last story i completed, the last page was written first. If you are stuck then try writing backwards.