What to do with a 40k-word story?

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Dr. Mambo, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

You can remove the work from CreateSpace anytime you like.

As for First Rights--no publisher is required to get them. It's a matter of the policy of the publishing house. If a book that is already published isn't successful enough to warrant attention, they're not likely to be interested to begin with. For self-published books that are successful enough to attract the attention of a traditional publisher, they waive any applicable policy in favor of first rights.

2. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

The section I added italics to could use some clarification, I think. I agree that a book, once self-published, that doesn't sell well isn't likely to attract publisher interest. But I think it's important to separate that from the idea that a book that has not yet been self-published isn't likely to attract publisher attention.... I'm having trouble saying what I mean in a clear way, sorry.

Okay, when I first read your paragraph I thought you were saying that a book that doesn't sell after being self-published is probably a book that never would have been attractive to publishers, regardless of first publication rights. And on re-reading, I'm pretty sure it's not what you're saying; I think it's the "to begin with" that's throwing me off. Because I absolutely agree that if the book doesn't sell well when self-published the publishers will almost certainly not want it. But "to begin with" maybe suggests that the book wouldn't have been attractive even before being self-published... I assume that's not what you're saying?

(Have I successfully made this small point of confusion into a much bigger point of confusion?)

3. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Sorry for the confusion, @BayView. I was just thinking that the examples of self-published books that I'm aware of that were picked up by traditional publishers have done pretty well as self-published works, and the traditional publisher goes into the negotiations knowing that they want the book. In that case, whatever their normal policy is for first rights doesn't apply. I don't think the traditional publisher who bought The Martian, for example, was concerned that the first rights they normally wanted were unavailable.

4. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I agree.

Yay! It may be the first time we've agreed on something in a self-publishing thread! Yay, us!

Steerpike likes this.
  5. Lew

Lew Contributor Contributor

6. Lew

Lew Contributor Contributor

I did something odd in the above post, embedded my comments in a quote. SOrry!