1. wolferz

wolferz New Member

A Tale of Double Transference

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by wolferz, Jul 4, 2010.

My idea for a story is based on previous posts I've made, but with a different twist. The character is a young female college student who develops an infatuation with a professor. She desires him very much and wants to be noticed by him; it's an emotional attachment.

As she gradually allows others to know about it, she quickly finds that others are developing what is known as transference (in Psychology, the tendency to unconsciously redirect feelings for one person to another). So therefore, this professor becomes the object of other people's longing, as well - sort of like "double transference." Example, her counselor that she discloses this information to makes statements that encourage her behavior and the counselor almost seems to develop a crush on the man the main character describes.

Another example, her best friend thinks that her desire is really interesting and he encourages her to fantasize and act upon it more. He even states that he "wishes he had his own stalker" and gets excited when he accidentally finds out the the professor was in the same bathroom as him, etc. Another example, the professor's coworker begins to make statements like "I never wanted to hug a persona like him more in my life!"

The plot would revolve around this internal conflict within the main character, who externalizes it to other people. She soon believes that it's similiar to the eye of the hurricane in which other people are going crazy and she is the calmest one in the middle of all of it.

Do you believe it would be an interesting read or a creative twist? I need suggestions for how to strengthen the plot and end it.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has all been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no benefit in asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read this thread about What is Plot Creation and Development?

3. LaPetitePierrot

LaPetitePierrot New Member

Hmm, so what are some conflicts that could arise about this? An interesting situation means nothing without struggles. Try to go for something that most people wouldn't think of, but is still understandable and clicks with the target audiences mind. It's a very good idea. Work off of it a bit and you'll have yourself an awesome story.

4. TerraIncognita

TerraIncognita Aggressively Nice Person Contributor

Trust yourself as a writer. Don't seek approval from others. If you want to write something then write it. Brainstorming with others is great but don't seek approval on it. If it's in you to write it then go for it.