1. Ryan Elder

Ryan Elder Contributing Member

What type of ending sounds better to you and why?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Ryan Elder, Apr 22, 2016.

For my story, I am not sure how to end it, as I have several directions I could go. I am halfway finished and the rest depends upon what ending I decide to build into.

The story is about a serial rapist/killer type villain who goes around doing what she does, because she suffers from involuntary celibacy, and having to deal with it growing up and all her life, never becoming close to the opposite gender, causes her to take what she wants in order to feel power.

The protagonist is a cop investigating her, and the cop becomes her latest rape victim, but survives and escapes. The justice system fails to catch her for him, and he then wants justice himself. There are two ways he can get it. He can try the legal way, but cannot find any evidence legally, thus causing him to go vigilante on the villain, and either killing her, or framing her with illegal methods to take her down.

Or he can still play within the rules of the system and beat them at their own game, showing them he was better at getting evidence on her and catching her, than they were. Although because he was one of her victim's would this legally be a problem of a conflict of interest in the investigation though?

So he can either come out like Columbo, and arrest her with evidence, the smart, but legal way, or he can come out like Jack Bauer, and get total revenge. Of course these aren't really endings, but more like third acts. Each one would have their own different endings each.

Which direction to go do you think sounds better? Or should I combine the two and possibly have the cake and eat it too, or would that go against character motivation?

I know I haven't given a lot, but I am getting writer's block on this one and do not know where to go after the first half, in the MC's way of achieving his goal, that would be better for that type of story premise.

What do you think?

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  2. Lilith Addington

Lilith Addington Member

Just personally, I think the first one would be more satisfying in this instance. I often like it when the protagonist catches the antagonist by being better than the system at gathering evidence, but I don't feel like it would be as exciting here, and like you said, it almost seems like a conflict of interests. I would go with the first option, but I wouldn't have him kill her. That seems a little extreme - but then again, I don't know his character. Would he kill her if he had the chance?

Your character's motivations and personality are going to be a major deciding factor in this. Is your protagonist the type to take risks and go behind the system? Would he try to stay safe and arrest her with legal evidence, or has he been so traumatized that he would present false evidence just to get her in jail, or even kill her himself? What is your protagonist truly most likely to do? You don't want to force your characters to do things they wouldn't actually do.

Have you figured out what the rest of the plot would be if you took each route? If not, I highly suggest you should - if your character could plausibly make either decision, then looking at the projected plots may help you decide which one you'd want to end up writing more.

Hope this helps! :) Good luck with your writer's block, and happy writing!

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  3. Ryan Elder

Well I am writing a screenplay so I tend to use movies as examples. In movies like The Fugitive and The Negotiator, the heroes still stayed within the system as much as they could while catching the villains, but in the end relied on the courts to do the job, with the evidence they collected. But the climaxes of both still managed to be exciting and suspense packed.

With the revenge and how far the MC would go, it depends on how I write it as to how much the rape effected him. I have seen movies where the rape victim will go as far as killing out of revenge, and some where they want to plant evidence and frame, out of revenge, but no killing. So it all depends on how far the MC's victimization pushes him I guess.

4. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributing Member

I agree with @Lilith Addington, it depends on what you think the character would do and what the effects of that decision would have on the rest of the plot. It also depends on the feel. Having the protagonist go vigilante killer will increase the feeling of grit. How gritty is this story supposed to be?

5. Samuel Lighton

Samuel Lighton Contributing Member

You know your character the best. In those sort of situations I tend to try to, well, channel my character briefly. How are they feeling? Are they lost? consumed by the need to get justice? Are they dedicated to being the 'good cop' so much so that they can't bend the rules? Or are they broken beyond that, to the point where that method has been lost in the face of the justice system's failure? That's how I would decide what my character would do in that situation. In the end, you have to feel how your character feels - and get that across to your reader at the same time. That's the best solution I can offer you I'm afraid, as my opinion to how you should go doesn't have any relevance without the precedent of the rest of the story, and the character you've built.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  6. Ryan Elder

Well as far as Lilith's suggestion goes that killing her would be extreme, if he chooses to go outside the law and get revenge, how would he punish her, if he does not kill her? If he cannot put her in jail legally, cause it would be a conflict of interest, then what can he do other than kill her?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016