1. D-Doc

D-Doc Active Member

What speculative elements are most sought after these days?

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by D-Doc, Nov 21, 2016.

I was just wondering what you all think about this. On F&SF's submission guidelines page they said that they receive plenty of fantasy fiction but never enough science fiction (or humor). Assuming a story is excellent, do you think a science-fiction approach will be an easier sell than fantasy? I've submitted plenty of stories to various magazines and no dice yet, but I've got a very basic concept for a story that could really go either way. I understand that a setting is supposed to be tied with the narrative, or even chosen from multiple options that best compliments the story. I'm unsure about this one, though. I think a fantasy approach might work better but I want to maximize my chances of a sale. Perhaps it's just the typical high fantasy or sword & sorcery style that's getting played out?

2. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

It's pretty tricky to try to play the market, especially before you're IN the market. Like, once you've started selling editors may give suggestions for things they're looking for that they think you could do well, but until that happens you're just chasing rumours.

I'd suggest you write what you're passionate about and what suits the heart of the story you want to tell. It's frustrating to write something you love and not have it sell, but it'd be even more frustrating, I imagine, to write something you don't love and not have it sell.

Alex R. Encomienda and D-Doc like this.
  3. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

I think it's more important to write a good story. If you think this story works better as fantasy, you should probably write it as fantasy.

D-Doc likes this.
  4. D-Doc

D-Doc Active Member

Thank you. Sounds about right but I'm still torn on this one. I could see it playing out well either way, but one option might be harder to write (but perhaps that's the most marketable option). I've heard that fantasy novels are still published more than science-fiction, though I'm unsure what's the case with short stories.