1. nhope

nhope Member Reviewer

Of all the writing that you do, what makes you feel most connected...

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by nhope, Feb 27, 2011.

...to yourself?

Is it when you blog? Pen stories? Journal? Is it early in the morning or late at night when it's just you?

Is it what you write or where you write? Does all you write have to matter to you, or do you just write to get stuff out of your head?

I have been thinking about this all morning and am hoping I'm not the only one who feels like it all has to matter.

Does it?

2. Halcyon

Halcyon Contributor Contributor

Hmmm...I'm not best qualified to answer this, as I don't write anything other than novels. No blogs, no journals, no short stories etc.

However, yes, it certainly matters to me, and it's all done late at night when I'm alone. :)

3. Chudz

Chudz New Member

Hmm. . . .

It doesn't matter if it's late at night, early in the morning, or what have you. The writing that I feel most connected to happens when I'm trying to type as fast as I can, just to keep up with the images/narrative that is playing through my head.

4. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Characters and locations doesn't matter if it is a flash piece, a short, novel, blog etc

5. evelon

evelon Active Member

All my writing has to matter. The deeper the thoughts, the better I like it. I like to make people feel. I like to get a reaction.

I think every single word is important; if it doesn't fit, if it isn't neccessary, it's out.

I do funny, sometimes, but it's not my favourite thing to do. Love to write about life and emotion, usually in short stories, sometimes in poems.

Doesn't matter when or where I write, although early morning and late night are good, but I don't even start until something really grabs me. Then I'd love to be able to disappear for hours at a time until it's done. Doesn't happen, but it's a nice thought!

6. joelpatterson

joelpatterson New Member

It's when you really succeed in capturing the feeling you're trying to describe... you have this vague (but potent) sensation about something that matters and you finally work out the way to present it in words that distills and conveys it.

I was talking to a guy the other day, really into the cutting edge of linguistics theory, and his whole rap was that you have to use words to think about anything, and this structure leaves you doing no more than choosing which word or association to leap from and to.

So I said, "well then, the question is, what would it be like to think without using language?" Which is when the girl on the next stool started talking about her days of being a crack addict...

7. Silver_Dragon

Silver_Dragon New Member

I feel most connected to myself when I'm working on my novels. I do some journalling, and only occasionally update my blog. The blog always feels as though it's for other people, not for me, which why I can't really get into doing it.

Keeping a journal, for me, is more about noting things down so I don't forget about them than anything else. It's almost more like documenting things than really expressing myself, though I know that seems strange. I'm best able to express myself in fiction.

8. w176

w176 Contributor Contributor

When I write longer works of fiction. Either violence, sex or both as long as it gets my adrenaline pumping. Or some heartwrenching scene of anger and bittersweet sadness.

9. Mystic_snowfang

Mystic_snowfang New Member

i don't write to feel "connected" I write because I see it as a means of escape from what this world has to offer. Why not create my own world then?

10. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

I guess it'd be when I write in my diary because that's practically the only time I express how I really feel. Although, a lot of the time I write allegorically so I can usually feel connected to myself in some way or other in some of my writing. Everything I write matters for some reason, whether it's to get it out of my head or I just like the idea so I'm going with it, and so on.

11. Leonardo Pisano

Leonardo Pisano Active Member

I am a morning person. Then I am sharpest. Ha, on this forum I am usually in the late evening, hence my not so sharp posts.