Tags:
  1. Smoke

Smoke New Member

What was your first story?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Smoke, Mar 30, 2011.

Maybe not the first time you tried to tell a story, but perhaps the first time that the muse / writer state gripped you. I use the term pre-pupative simply because of the butterfly metaphor. Some are gripped by wanting to be a writer, go through an embarrassing stage, then start buckling down and really try to be good.

My first story involved a super-sue. There was a mash-up world where all of my ideas for species lived, and there might have been some human-descended abominations that were brought there by a highly-advanced race of scientific lizards.

There were two different ideas of dragons, methane-blimps and more muscular examples, in addition to gargoyle-like dragonkin. There were a mostly catlike-people who had a few wolf-like attributes. They were quadrupeds with opposable thumbs.

(I'm thinking that the scientific lizards and the primitive gargoyles were the same species, just some broke away and learned, while the rest were stuck in a medievil state.)

The main character was a self-insert from when my ego was all-powerful. Probably the only true human of the whole story. If I tried to fix the idea today, it would resemble Avatar the Last Airbender vs Final Fantasy X.

The role of the savior of the world is passed down, and retains the memories and skills of the previous chosen. The chosen would draw the attention of the ultimate evil, and so the peoples of that world would shun the chosen for fear of suffering the evil. That's why an outsider was brought.

The greatest thing I remember is the fatal sword duels, and how the sue would only win because death was preferable to having to take her place.

My Sue didn't even win. One of the dragons that considered her a mother inherited the power and beat the bad. She was a sideline lending strength.

2. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Well if I discount school and work related short stories. One month before 9/11 I wrote a satire based on the way people see archaeology as infallible - however I began it with alien spaceships crashing into the twin towers and blowing up New York. (I have yet to share that one with anyone).

My first real story is my first completed YA Novel Someone Else's Life which is about seventeen year old Angus who is a rebellious punch first think later teenager. He has skiived school and had a massive row with his Dad the King of Covesea Island. He is sent to his bedroom whilst the rest of his family go to his siblings birthday party on a yacht. His sister kidnaps and kills his father, the yacht with most of the government on is torpoedoed by a neighbouring country, his brother attempts suicide but then abdicates to live with his boyfriend. Angus suddenly finds himself king of a country that is overrun with corruption and the 'magic' (not really magic as it is natural to the world but is no longer taught in schools) has been subjugated. His girlfriend Beatrice bullies him into marrying her and together they set about sorting out the corruption and restoring knowledge. He discovers Beatrice was brought up by two dads, one of whom is the Abbot who has full access to his mind lol and is happy to give his daughter advice on sex (creeps my MC out lol).

3. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

I guess my real first story was when I was 10. A mythical world with fairy's, gnomes, and a warrior who was trying to save the land from an evil darkness. It had no known origin, but the only way to stop it was to find the last unicorn. I was 10:p Anyway, it ended up being about 100k if I remember right. It's long gone now. :(

4. Smoke

Smoke New Member

Ach, I know how you feel. My dad recycled the Bibliophile without harvesting the hard drive.... Mostly my dream journal, but also a story concept. The greatest strength of that machine was that it could load a word processor from a cold-boot faster than any other machine in the house. The weakness is that it was about the only thing it would do.

5. spklvr

spklvr Contributor Contributor

I wrote a surprisingly long story at age 8 about me owning a horse. Wrote it in paint so that I could draw horsies in the background. My first good story was at age 12, about a group of friends living in the farm country and trying not to go insane from boredom. I always wish I could find the time and energy to rewrite it and make it good, 'cus I think it would make a good YA novel.

6. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

haha, funny, Even my first stories was about a girl having horses and participating in show jumping-competitions, about her friends, relations and life in general. I think i might have been around 12 or 13 when starting and I kept writing that one for years. Eventually it ended up to concentrate more on her life and not so much about the horses anymore, lol. And then there was a crossroad when one person appearing in this novel got a novel of her own, parallel to this one. That second one actually is what I based my first real attempt of writing "for real" on, with a goal of being published one day, because I really grew to love this person and the people around her. Of course the plot has changes a LOT from then to this actual novel, but that was the origin. :)

7. DeviouSquirrel

DeviouSquirrel Member

Mine was about a land inhabited only by penguins with human-level intelligence and how they faced a horrific threat and all ended up exploding to death... It was quite long, too, I must have been about 10, 11? I liked it though :D

8. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

Ha ha, one of my first stories was about a pony. :p

I also wrote something that now I think about it was basically Dr Who, but I never really watched TV as a kid so I genuinely knew nothing about it. :p

Er...

my first really long story that I spent months writing, and got to over 50 pages (in tiny cramped handwriting in a big blue binder) was this stupid thing about kids who live in this big house and basically used candy as currency and had random gang fights with some other kids who did about the same thing, but most of it was about a holiday to the beach or something. That seems to be looong gone, since I have no memory of what I did with that folder afterwards. :p I was in primary school when I wrote it, and I think since it was my first effort at something really long and I know I wrote at least 2 other novels (and a load of other short stories that made a massive mythology that was half art-project and covered all my walls :p) before I was 10, I had to have been 7-8. Hmm, just remembered the teacher who I had at the time. Definitely was at oldest 8. :) Don't know when I started the story though.

9. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

I think the first story I ever wrote was about a butterfly...only I think I called it a Flutterby, because I thought that was what it was called.

My first legit story was about my cousin murdering me and a bunch of other family members one by one to score all our massive riches. I wrote it as a joke because he requested that I write a story for him, and now everyone who reads it thinks I'm insane. It's awesome.

10. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

One of the first stories I remember writing was about a skydiver capturing a bank robber who was escaping by jumping out of a plane with a parachute. I was about seven at the time. It was based on one of my favorite TV shows, Ripcord.

11. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan New Member

My first story was not written out, but I had developed it more or less to a full extent in my head. It was a multi-part epic I thought up between the ages of 6 and 12 about how I would eventually take over the world as the greatest, most noble and heroic president of the entire world. My main enemy was this spoiled kid I knew and my younger brother, who were the leaders of South Africa (for some reason... not that I have or had anything against South Africa). The entire epic spanned about 150 years and was basically a series of episodic smaller stories about how I rose to power during the second American Civil War, slowly and peacefully absorbed the entire world under my benevolent grip, got to meet the most beautiful (but awesome) women, made all of my friends my various military and bureaucratic officers, and eventually defeated the evil forces of South Africa around c. 2150 CE.

Despite the fact that it was a blatant childish fantasy, and it's extremely blatant portrayal of me, its main character, as some kind of superhuman almost godlike figure, many of the stories actually focused on my friends or my descendants (since I lived to 150 years, that meant I had lots of them) and their adventures or romances. Ultimately it was actually a pretty good way to help me gain some of the basics of storytelling.

My first story proper that was fully written down... I really don't remember, but it was probably some sci-fi-ish story set in the future.

12. barnz

barnz New Member

I dictated a few to my mother at a young age, but my first real creative writing endeavor was in the 7th grade on a "freewrite" assignment, I wish I still had the file.

I remember it being about someone that escapes from prison, or a psycho ward, but keeps having flashbacks to their time in some sort of conflict, eventually leading to their death as they walk off a bridge during one of these impaired states. I remember thinking it was wicked deep!

13. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

When I was in first grade I wrote a series of stories about me and my friends exploring the Solar System. Rocket ships, exotic planets, all the cool stuff I loved as a kid. Very scientifically inaccurate! I wrote them in little stapled-together booklets that the teacher stapled to the classroom walls. I was famous in our classroom.

A few years later, when I was about ten, I wrote a story about me and my friends as a team of boy superheroes. I was a kind of spider-boy, with super-strength and agility. A friend of mine had human torch powers and could shoot fire from his hands. I don't remember the others, but they were all ripoffs of Marvel Comics superheroes. It's actually really embarrassing to think about right now.

I remember about the same time writing a story about some engineers building a city under the ocean - I was very much under the influence of Robert Heinlein at the time. After that, I started getting more serious.

14. LikeLightToTheFlies

LikeLightToTheFlies New Member

About 3000 miles from where I want to be.
    When I was in the second grade, I wrote a several page story about a bunch of teens who have to kill a sea serpent at some lake.

Didn't have blood or anything, but the fact that I wrote a book involving teens using guns when I was in the second grade must have been quite alarming to my teacher.

15. iz.

iz. New Member

Not counting stories written for school, I distinctly remember a time when I was around 10, my brother, cousin and I were seriously fascinated by our idea of a 'cool gang' and violence, and my cousin came up with this idea of three boys who pretty much lived out in the streets since their orphanage burnt down, and they cross roads with the 'bad guys' of the story, a gang of older boys who don't like the younger ones being on 'their property'. And that results in...fights. It was called Gang Wars (surprise, surprise...) and we named the characters after my bro, cousin, and their mate. xD It was actually pretty well written, from what I remember, considering we were 9 or 10 years old, and our ideas of gangs were inspired from movies like Bad Boys and Men in Black (more like, we incorporaed whatever we learned from movies like that into our own definition of a gang...). It was also very violent. But that's to be expected, coming from two guys and an overly-tomboy girl. :p

We never did finish that story... shame.

16. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

A tale of a master thief who steals flowers. From underground :eek: I was seven and I remember it all made perfect sense to me at the time.

For larger-scale stories, I have an ongoing epic space opera I started when I was 13. I don't think it will ever be finished, and if it is, its ending will be the last thing I write. By this point it doesn't quite make sense, and certain parts of the mythology are no longer compatible with newer additions, but I think that only adds to the charm. Every time I read an early section of it, and every draft, I can find pieces of my interests and influences. It's like a compendium of my journey as a writer. In terms of plot, the main character is trying to root out a coven of terrorists. At the same time, he has to deal with his extended family, who in turn are representatives of various sides in a vast, multi-universe mythological game. His first girlfriend is a terrorist, and his 2nd one has perfect memory, including of her previous lives. It's... kinda out there.

17. Iconoclast

Iconoclast New Member

From what I remember, I was about 11 or so and I wrote a screenplay (I forgot the name of it). However, the story I had also choreographed. I based it off the martial arts flick "Drunken Master".

As for story, my first completed one was called "Unforeseen"; about a teenager who likes an old time childhood friend (female), but she is in an abusive relationship with another teenager and winds up being killed and her body hidden.

18. MidnightPhoenix

MidnightPhoenix New Member

I don’t know if this counts but when I was little I had to write a story about a picture at the side of the page and it was a bear with honey and bees. I found it and I saw that I had killed off the bear, he had swallow a bee and it killed him. I’ve hidden it, thankfully I can’t find it unless my brother has took it again.
    I used to write my own version of Star Trek Voyager, with my friend.
    But my first story that I finished when I was 9 year old, `Falling Angel`. I look over it, I constantly raped the word `as` a lot, and it is only 60 pages, so basically just short story, I do want to work on it but after I finished the one I am on now.
    I have finished a small story, called `Red Rose`.
    Hopefully finger cross that I can actually get this story finished this year.:rolleyes:

19. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I don't remember my first story, I think I repressed it. The first one I remember is this weird one called 'The Cell', which was about someone in a coma having a nightmare.

20. Del

Del New Member

Hmmm, well, My first story...that would have to be back when I was 13, I was an avid reader who never really wanted to be a writer.
    I originally wanted to be an artist, so one day I was looking through my sketches and while I looked through them, I strung them together into a story, after a few days of thinking, I started typing it into a story.
    But in the end the story, One Hero, ended up short and very rushed. But it was good for the age I was, and now I'm re-making One Hero as a full novel, so it just shows that something small can eventually turn into a life term goal/dream.

But, basically, my first story was when I was 13, it ended up being mediocre at best, but now I've improved.

21. dizzyspell

dizzyspell Active Member

Yours all seem pretty good! My Mum actually kept the first 'story' I wrote, which was when I was 4. Something about me standing on the dog's kennel, and her not liking it...

My first 'real' story was about jewel thieves who hid diamonds in carrots, and also ate so many carrots that they turned orange. A group of girls (and their dog) caught onto the plan and saved the day. I think pirates were involved, too, somehow... It made absolutely no sense, anyway! :) I wrote it when I would've been about 10 or 11... I prefer to think of it as 'imaginative', rather than just plain bad :)

22. aimi_aiko

aimi_aiko New Member

In all, the first thing I wrote whenever the "writing" idea gripped me was a poem called "Someone's There". I can't quite remember the first thing I wrote, but the very first story I completed was about a group of friends that, in reality, weren't really friends at all. Two of the friends were actually killers and they killed off all of the friends except for two.

Just your basic/overused story line.

23. DeNile

DeNile New Member

My first real story is also an entire universe. The storyline itself is called "Farfetched City" and it really was farfetched. The entire thing revolved around me and my friends in a 'what-if' universe. The main story in the beginning took place when I was in high school, it revolved and played on my want to help my friends and fear of crowds. I turned myself into an awesome-sue, which has since been changed, and took charge of the school.

Other stories included my love of gay couples and reading into things, which meant I paired up male friends I thought would be cute together, my little sister becoming the monster she is today and my friend Tanessa discovering her sexuality as Damien.

The 'arcs' so to speak involved the forming of Farfetched City, my taking over the world and colonizing the Moon as well as moving Titan with slingshot satellites to orbit with us. And the Soviet Union, not Russia, Russia was clueless, trying to take over the world and my friends taking them out.

The first Farfetched saga I wrote though was about Harmony Brown and her 'cousin' Destiny Matthews. Harmony had an older brother named Nathaniel who was in college and they had parents named Lacey and Ian, which were the same as Lacey and Eyan, me and my friend, at Farfetched High. Harmony and Destiny were spies working for the CCIA, the Canadian Central Intelligence Agency and fighting crime. Harmony was in 9th grade and fell for a boy named Matthew that she didn't end up dating until 12th grade, Destiny was 12 and skipped ahead to 9th grade. Her catchphrase was "Well nobody TOLD me it was dynamite."

They had two friends, Tereso and Kiki, Tereso was secretly their second greatest enemy and and Kiki was from a rival spy organization. Those two were my first lesbian characters, they ended up together. H, D and K all teamed up to stop T with the power of friendship!

Destiny was actually Harmony's sister but lived with her uncle and aunt who weren't actually related to her but people from the future. The greatest enemy of theirs was Yecal, my time-travelling evil clone created my Kiki's employers.

Lacey and Ian the parents were from an alternate timeline with robot zombie plants, they had travelled back in time to stop it from happening and ended up in the 80s and started a family together. In the future Eyan, the guy who helped me take over the world, were aware of who Harmony and Destiny were and travelled back in time to make sure everything happened as it would. Including talking Lacey and Ian into splitting up Harmony and Destiny, starting up the CCIA, making sure Farfetched City was formed to begin with, and trying to make sure Yecal didn't destroy the timespace continuum, all the while being my Advisor!

He was essentially the Doctor, but I don't watch Dr. Who so you'll have to take his word on it.

Oh yeah, and there were test tube babies designed to protect me! So yeah, that was my first story. It's...complicated to say the least. But I love it :D

24. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

My first stories were horror ones -- I was trying to imitate the style of R.L. Stine, who I was really into when I was younger. This was around 3rd grade. After a period of imitating the horror style, I branched out into my own ideas and own style, and have been expanding ever since. :) That's one of the things I love best about writing -- there's always room for improvement.

25. cheesysalsa

cheesysalsa Member

My first story was about a bird that was confined in a cage for his whole life until one day a boy wanted to take the bird out with him to explore the world. The bird eventually has to go back into its cage but ever since then it dreams of being free again.