What word processor do you use?

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by Veronica0406, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Howard_B

Howard_B Active Member

As an alternative to Word I can understand the use of GD simply because it keeps all in the cloud and a few other limited bells & whistles. But it belongs firmly in the basic word processor group of apps.

2. theoriginalmonsterman

theoriginalmonsterman Pickle Contributor

I personally use Microsoft Office 2007. It might not be up to date, but it works pretty well.

3. eg8hardcore

eg8hardcore Member

A little bit. Occasionally I will have a sudden epiphany about how to overcome something, and if I don't have my notebook with me I'll pull out my phone and write a few lines from my phone.

It's not often, but I enjoy it for those infrequent moments when I need to get something in writing before I forget it.

4. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I now have the Note 4, and I've been writing a few things here and then with the stylus. I love how it writes with the note-taking app they have.

5. Howard_B

Howard_B Active Member

The reason I ask is that I also make notes on my iPhone. Scrivener has a function built in to it where it syncs with Simplenote for OSX and iOS. So it is easy to use Simplenote on the iPhone (not sure if Simplenote is also on Android) when out and about, and have to synced into Scrivener when you get home.

6. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

I love the hand writing function on the Note tablets. I've personally owned an old Palm m505 for probably a decade now. That device was the first time I encountered hand writing recognition and it is also the reason I fell in love with it. It just feels so much better to use than touch (or physical, for that matter) keyboards.
    I've actually even done some serious (short story) writing on a Galaxy Note 2 (my father brought his along during a 1-week holiday), and the sole reason it worked out was due to that function.

7. Yelnoc

Yelnoc New Member

Since my computer is a Chromebook, my one and only option is Google Docs. It gets the job done, I suppose.

750words.com is also pretty great, though I use it more for introspection than fiction/non-fiction.

8. Steerpike

There are text editors like Writebox and others available for Chrome. You can also install Linux via Crouton and run any number of different applications, including the beta version of Scrivener.

9. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

For a first draft, Google docs it great. Raw and spontaneous. Wouldn't want to imagine editing without Scrivener though. It's an extremely helpful tool.

10. Howard_B

Howard_B Active Member

I cannot imagine trying to deal with continuity or any level of complexity with it.

11. Steerpike

My first drafts are on paper, with one of my two trusty fountain pens. Second draft comes from typing that into something like Scrivener or Focuswriter.

Also, I forgot to mention, even if you use a Chromebook, the following sites will work:

http://www.litlift.com/
    http://hiveword.com/

Both have organizational capability.