what would cause 9 colonies to go to war?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Defender, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Defender

Defender New Member

Thank you everyone, i will try and take what you have given me and work with that to formulate a story....
    dang its nice when you have people who have a better imagination than you come in and help you out! thank you guys for the ideas! :)

2. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

I don't think you necessarily have a worse imagination. You probably could have conceived a solution, and one example is not a trend.

Defender likes this.
  3. Defender

Defender New Member

How about this, this is an exert from a major timeline for the story:
    Pre- Age of Eden
    21st Century

• The present day- As overpopulation and unrest mount on Earth, an organization dedicated to scientific advancement is formed and tasked with attempting to avert the crises of the next century by solving governmental unification issues of colonizing non-Earth territories.

• The technological innovation of terraforming half a century later, allowed humans to construct its first line of colony ships to initiate the expansion of human habitation, spurring the colonization of the Solar System and relieving the growing pressure of overpopulation on Earth. The Age of Eden, a centuries-long era of widespread prosperity and technological advances, begins.

The Age of Eden

• During the initial exploration of Mercury, a number of scattered alien artifacts are discovered. Early research outposts attract Earth's brightest minds, leading to a colonization rush on the planet. The researchers found a famed center of research and learning to study the mysterious artifacts.

• The xx is formed to conduct top-secret research and development programs and eventually exert virtually complete control over the research and information.

Eventually the new organization begins to suppress information on the technology eventually using it to create superior weapons and technology using them to control the civilian population which leads to uprisings and civil war. But, then during the war an artifact is activated and opens a portal, but how would that occur so that it happens in a subsequent order with what i have so far?

4. Defender

Defender New Member

Would this work? This is an exert from a major timeline for the story:
    Pre- Age of Eden
    21st Century

• The present day- As overpopulation and unrest mount on Earth, an organization dedicated to scientific advancement is formed and tasked with attempting to avert the crises of the next century by solving governmental unification issues of colonizing non-Earth territories.

• The technological innovation of terraforming half a century later, allowed humans to construct its first line of colony ships to initiate the expansion of human habitation, spurring the colonization of the Solar System and relieving the growing pressure of overpopulation on Earth. The Age of Eden, a centuries-long era of widespread prosperity and technological advances, begins.

The Age of Eden

• During the initial exploration of Mercury, a number of scattered alien artifacts are discovered. Early research outposts attract Earth's brightest minds, leading to a colonization rush on the planet. The researchers found a famed center of research and learning to study the mysterious artifacts.

• The xx is formed to conduct top-secret research and development programs and eventually exert virtually complete control over the research and information.

Eventually the new organization begins to suppress information on the technology eventually using it to create superior weapons and technology using them to control the civilian population which leads to uprisings and civil war. But, then during the war an artifact is activated and opens a portal, but how would that occur so that it happens in a subsequent order with what i have so far?

5. MelFyre

MelFyre New Member

It could be an act of sabatoge - it could be an attempt of that new organization to further utilize the artifact in populace control ( of course it all goes wrong ) - it could be the result of damage to an artifact through an uprising of test control subjects during their escape - maybe they just thought they knew how to activate the artifact properly but didn't - maybe they DID operate it properly but didn't really understand the results - maybe they knew what the results would be but decided this would be a better way to achieve their ends - possibly the artifact is an exit marker ( like it comes in pairs and the one that the aliens have is the 'entrance' to the portal and wherever they plant the 'exit' one is where the portal will land them - but dumb humans moved the freaking 'exit' point )

Defender likes this.
  6. Defender

Defender New Member

I think i am going to use some of your ideas, but i have another question, in the story i want some kind of conspiracy, so in other words the device that opens the portal can be given coordinates. So my idea is that the Perverted came to our galaxy by way of trickery, someone or something gave them coordinates to the another universe and effectively let them into our galaxy, but who would know of their existence, or who would try and bring down human civilization without being obvious?

7. MelFyre

MelFyre New Member

Subtle influence from the artifacts 'enlightens' one of the researchers / political leaders / new organization members - possibly opening them to mind control?

or some embittered genius who was maybe rejected from the researchers group got info on the artifacts and then figured out stuff that your core group doesn't know - act of revenge motive?

Some societal reject ( horrible backstory, never loved, hates everyone etc etc ) says f this all and wants a suicidal homicidal end of the world kind of thing and thinks the aliens will do that for him

8. Defender

Defender New Member

Maybe, those are all great ideas, some of which I will use for the story... but how would it work if maybe something they made based of of the technology gave them the coordinates, or even opened the portal itself, seeing that the technology is alien and the artificial intelligence is based off of it, he would act with the same intent no?

9. MelFyre

MelFyre New Member

I'd say same intent - and deliberate actions or not - it's alien technology it can use it's own locator system or have a homing beacon style setup -

but even if you can't read the language or understand the directions you can still push buttons until something happens

maybe someone is upset about something and just slams it down harshly or tries to destroy it and activates it instead

duplicating alien technology may be a bit beyond my imagination ( I can do well with spur ideas but getting into the harder SF I'd just start winging it ) but there is always the issue of human error through interpretation or transcription or whatever, or there's the sabotage idea again where someone maliciously inserts bad code

Defender likes this.
  10. Defender

Defender New Member

You know, I am starting to grow fond of it your ideas!
    I especially like the one with humans misinterpreting the artifacts.
    Thank you for your input and advice, hopefully one day you will see your ideas in my published story. :)

MelFyre likes this.
  11. MelFyre

MelFyre New Member

I'm just glad I can help. There are plenty of times I need help nudging ideas around in my head too.

And I'd love to see the end result!

12. Defender

Defender New Member

Hey guys, i have another question,
    while experimenting with an alien artifact, researchers on Venus in the hopes of gaining a secret power, accidentally open a portal to another region of space, letting the Perverted into this realm, so my question is, what would be something important that they hoped to achieve to help them during the war?

13. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

All kinds of things possible. Something do with resources is a realistic option, because the greatest threat to humanity going forward is problems with resources, particularly simply running out. Perhaps they were trying to use to some energy as a power-source and the energy made the portal?

14. Defender

Defender New Member

well while that is a good idea, the machine, is only a portal, and it if programmed can lead to a variety of places and times, it cannot produce energy. :)
    however if they were trying to go to another place for resources, that would be different......huh...I'll have to think on it, thanks!