What would my chances be?

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Dee_xx, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Allegro Van Kiddo

Allegro Van Kiddo New Member

So no one enjoyed Eragon, because it was that terrible?

I was trying to explain William Burroughs to someone the other day and could barely do it. I'd take a thousand Eragons over his obsessive squirting penis imagery.

2. popsicledeath

popsicledeath Banned

Sure, you have a point. People also enjoy reality tv and watching the news... but I wouldn't necessarily look to those sorts of programs if you're hoping to become a serious tv writer.

3. Allegro Van Kiddo

Allegro Van Kiddo New Member

Really?

4. FrankABlissett

FrankABlissett Active Member

All the talk about "Eragon" has got me thinking. It actually IS a good lesson for all those "I've been thinking about self-publishing" posts.

Tell them (using Eragon as an example) that yes, it can be done - you need to:
    1) Read, read, read.
    2) Study all you can on the art of writing.
    3) Write, write, write.
    4) Edit, edit, edit.
    5) Find investors (his parents), preferably ones knowledgable with publishing.
    6) Spend your every waking, non-writing hour self-promoting, just to sell a few dozen books a week. Forget a social life.
    7) Have sufficient quality work that if you're lucky and an industry insider does get hold of it, it makes a decent impression.
    8) If you're lucky enough to get attention from a traditional publisher, jump at the offer.

It's actually a really good case study on correctly self-publishing, and shows the reason most fail.

-Frank