1. Ryan Elder

Ryan Elder Contributing Member

What would these villains do in this situation?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Ryan Elder, May 2, 2016.

For my plot I am having trouble deciding on what the villains would do in this situation and why.

Basically a gang of villains is being pursued by the police, to the point where crap hits the fan, and the gang leader decides to turn himself in, and take all the blame for his gang members crimes.

He decides that he does not want his gang members to be punished for crimes that were his planning, and wants to take the rap, so the rest of them can be free, since he feels sorry for putting them into this position of their lives being ruined by the police, unintentionally.

So he tells his men that he is going to turn himself in and take all the blame for the crimes, and that the men are free. He tells them this so they know they are free, and will not try anything that will get them into further legal trouble.

However, would all the gang members agree to the leader's decision? Would some of them into be okay with him turning himself in, and try to stop him for any reason? What do you think? How would they react in this type of situation, since it's very questionable?

2. DeadMoon

DeadMoon Contributing Member Contributor

I would think police would have something to say about one man taking the blame for an entire gang, more so if they believe members of that gang have already been a part of criminal activity. But that being said it would depend on the loyalty of the gang to their leader. Sure some may wonder off to honest lives but a few most likely would return to the life they know. at least that is what I think.

Oscar Leigh and Simpson17866 like this.
  3. Sack-a-Doo!

Sack-a-Doo! Contributing Member Contributor

No matter the character, he will think of himself as 'good.' Give him a motivation that makes sense to a good guy.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  4. Ryan Elder

Okay thanks. So the police would not give him all the punishment even if he volunteered and plead guilty to all counts? Basically he would say that the other members were under his influence and that he was to blame. However, he is the only one turning in evidence of the crimes, and the police would have no proof on the others, so would they charge him with all counts, if that was the best they could do?

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  5. Raven484

Raven484 Contributing Member

The police would want the case cleared. If he confessed to it all, they would take it and get the others another day on another crime. Unless it was personal, if they killed a cop or something like that, the cops wouldn't be satisfied.
    Most of the gang members wouldn't care less if he confessed. They would remember it and probably take care of his family a little. You might have one or two that will think he would turn against them if he had a long prison sentence. Basically it would be better him than me to them.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  6. Raven484

In the show "The Wire" on hbo, there was a character called Webay that was basically an assassin. When he got caught and knew he would be locked up for life, he started confessing to all the murders that were committed by the gang, even one's the cops knew he was no part of. The police were just happy for the clearance rate for murders going up.
    The guy really took one for the team in that show, I think he confessed to like 14-16 open murders. Confessing to them kept him from getting the death penalty and just life in prison. What a system we live in.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  7. Ryan Elder

Okay thanks. Well for my story, the ending make sense when it comes to this villain's decision to turn himself in. But, I feel that the ending is anticlimatic when it comes to the other gang members.

I mean the villain just turns himself in, takes the rap, and the others are just not seen again. So I feel something should be done about them. You say one or two may come after him, thinking he will rat them out, is that what you mean? Do you think maybe the majority would, which would give me more options for a possibly better ending, or would the majority not act this way about him turning himself in? If this is the case though, would he even tell his gang, he was going to take the rap, or would that be illogical of him, since the gang may not agree with it, and he would logically turn himself in and not tell them?

But if he doesn't tell them, and they don't know, than they could screw up their changes of freedom, and not know that the boss is taking the rap for them, and they will be free. What do you think on how that would go?

Also, one of the murder victims in a cop, so would the police be still okay with only the leader taking the rap, if the leader can convince them that it was all him to blame, and not the others?

8. Selbbin

Selbbin I hate you Contributor

First, it wouldn't matter if he said the others were under his influence. They still broke the law. Second, you usually get less punishment if you plead guilty.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  9. Ryan Elder

That's true. How did the TV show The Wire do it with that assassin, where the cops gave all the punishment to the one guy, and let the others go? What was it about that one particularly that worked out that way?

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  10. Raven484

I think they would pretty much know he is taking the rap. The ones who might turn against him would more than likely be the next leaders. Regular members would probably have a lot of respect for him. The leadership would fear he would eventually rat them out.
    It would go two ways. They would change up most of their operation. Or they would have him killed in prison. The first is more likely to happen. Time would tell if they decided to take out the original leader.