1. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

What would you do about this submission?

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Steerpike, Jul 7, 2010.

Short story submitted to a publisher at the end of March. Professional-rate market. The guidelines say to allow 6-8 weeks for response. So far I've heard nothing. I sent a query about a week ago, and still nothing.

I'm tempted to email the publisher removing the work from consideration and submitting it elsewhere.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Also, they accept simultaneous submissions, so I could send it elsewhere, I suppose. With an email to this market to let them know?

2. Steerpike

Ah...the OTHER market I want to submit to won't take simultaneous submissions. Blast them.

3. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

I'd recommend you try calling the publisher to give a friendly reminder.

4. Steerpike

They don't provide a number. I might be able to locate one, but I get the sense they don't want phone calls.

5. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I would wait another week or so and then send them a polite email asking for the status of your submission. They sometimes require more time, especially if they have a lot to read. Anyway, a long wait could mean a good thing.

6. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Steerpike,

Waiting is part of the game, and the estimated reply time is a best case scenario. Pestering the market for a decision isn't likely to earn positive results. If it's a market you would really like to see your work in, then wait and, while you're waiting, write something else.

Constant checking of your inbox will drive you batty. And if you put yourself in the editor's POV. How would you respond if you have a very large and never ending queue of slush to read (in addition to all of your other responsibilities) and you're getting emails (or phone calls) from a writer, wondering if when you're going to read that writers work and make a decision? Is it: "Well, I am certainly behind and quite a few over the days listed on the website indicating response time for that writer's submission. I'll bump that one right up to the top of the list and read it."

If it's a market worth waiting for, then wait. Consider that they may be holding your piece as a 'maybe', or they're just behind. You might be thinking it got lost or misplaced. Yes, that does happen, but twice the posted time is pretty common. What will pulling the work accomplish, other than taking that market off the list that that piece can be submitted to? Will you do the same if another market takes longer than the listed time as well?

You could go to duotrope.com and check out that publisher and see what others reported as response times (they give longest, shortest, mean, median, etc.).

In any case, good luck with the submission in question. I hope to hear good news. And good luck on the next piece you complete and submit! :)

I know waiting isn't fun. But waiting, just like rejection and even acceptance of a piece, is part of the process.

Just my two cents.

Terry

7. Steerpike

Thanks TWErvin2.

My main concern isn't the wait per se. I'm more concerned that maybe the submission never reached them, or that it fell through the cracks somehow.

I will check out Duotrope.

8. izanobu

izanobu New Member

I'd give it 6 months, then assume it fell through the cracks and either resubmit or send it elsewhere. I had one story I thought fell through the cracks but they bought it after 5 months. Longer response time often means you are getting more consideration. Be patient :)

9. Steerpike

Thanks everyone.

Duotrope reports the average response time as 91 days, even though the market itself says 6-8 weeks. My submission has been out about 97 days, so I'm still in the ballpark of their average response time. I'll sit tight :)

10. eratos

eratos New Member

I wouldn't sit on it for six months.

This is your work and the only one looking out for you is you. If they do not respond in a reasonable amount of time push forward and get it into the hands of someone else.

11. maureencooke

maureencooke New Member

I wouldn't wait six months either, but I would give it another week or two and then send a follow-up, ask them what's what.

12. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

you can also call them, y'know... mss have been known to get lost in the mail... and a polite call to ask if it had been received won't hurt, can help...