what would your MC do?

Discussion in 'Word games' started by J_Jammer, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Inkwell1

Inkwell1 Active Member

"Well, that's not that bad," Elizabeth Athena says superficially, but it only takes about a second for the actual news to choke her up. A breath leaks out of her lips, laced with a sob.
    "They...they lied t-to me?" she cries, her bottom lip quavering. "So...who are m-mother and father?" A tear slips down her face, and she reaches up to shield it from view.

"I-I need to go," she says harshly, getting up from her plum, velvet chair and sprinting away, the only traces of her left being the large teardrops marking every foot on the pearly marble.

(By the way, @Darkkin I loved your answer)

What is your character's favorite quote?

2. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

"This world is rotten, and those who are making it rot deserve to die. Someone has to do it, so why not me?" - Light Yagami, Death Note

Who is your character's favorite fictional character?

3. SocksFox

SocksFox Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

Angel's back was flush to the wall as the door creaked open. Wielding her worn copy of Pride and Prejudice like Lizzy Bennet's sabored wit, she swung with all her might catching the hulking figure upside the head. The huge bear of a man went down with a heavy thud.

Winding up for another strike, a large hand lashed out, wrenching the abused book out of Angel's steely grasp. "Blast and damn, Angel Grace. How the devil did you learn to hit like that?"

Angel blinked, realising it was Myles she had toppled. "Damn you, Glostonberry. Whatever are you doing here?"

What is your main character's biggest pet peeve and how do they react to it?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2014
  4. Corbyn

Corbyn Lost in my own head Supporter Contributor

Mavis- Would have a crisis of faith...and never speak to her mother again.

What would your mc do if they were forced into a meal/ or other social environment with their nemesis....

5. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Amos Garnier: *ignores the arch nemesis while imagining shoving their face into a pig pen*
    Helen Chert: *forces herself to be polite even when she knows she'd much rather be anywhere else, concentrates on a conversation she hears from another table when she doesn't have to respond to her nemesis*
    Mishu Jerni: "Don't think this is a sign of friendship. The only reason we're even here is because my authorities sanctioned this dinner, I'd much rather be fighting on a warship."
    Mike Wolfletter: "Bet you think you're invincible, don't ya? Think no one can hurt you? Well guess what, you're looking at a Civil War veteran and a five-year trapper out in the wilderness. I've been snapping bear necks before you even came out crapping in your diaper and being a disappointment to your parents."

What would your main character do if he/she discovered a journal he/she had written long ago, back on their first adventure? (If they're still on that adventure, imagine them as an elderly person looking back to that time)

6. Miss Red

Miss Red Member

Ashburn sat down heavily, picking up the thick, leather bound book. It was heavy, and the paper was uneven and worn. A willow tree was embossed on the front, and the first page had the words "Scorchwillow" written on the front. Ash smiled wryly, the tangles in his heart tightening just a bit.

"It was such a long time ago." He murmured to Trout. "Scorch was my brother." His thin, knobby fingers gingerly opened the journal, thumbing through the first pages. The inking was sloppy and awful, making Ash squint to read it. "The authors from the City of Inkwell gave this us as a gift." Ash said.

"Tomorrow, we start training." the first line said. "The Paladin is growing old, and she wants the knights to be fit for the ceremony. I hope they choose me. Ash doesn't want to be a knight."
    Ash sighed. How wrong things had become.
    Trout gave him a confused glance. "If you didn't want to be a knight," he began, "Why are you Paladin now?"

Ash studied the page for a few heart beats, then turned his amber gaze on Trout. "It's a long story." He said, then waved the boy away. "Go, I'll put this away. Thank you for finding it."

---

Something called Zeirbello shrooms are growing between the cracks of a large, mossy stone, off to the side of a modest stream. Are they safe to eat? Does your main character know how to prepare these shrooms safely?

7. ChaosReigns

ChaosReigns Ov The Left Hand Path Contributor

Isake takes a look at them, before looking at Caspiar, a good elfen friend of his: "im not sure about these things, you know, after the last escapade that left Kilnir ill, id rather not risk it."

Caspiar, after looking at them: "id be inclined to agree, especially with, as you say, what happened to Kilnir. it might be best if i call on one of my healers to take a look at these before we can eat them"

your main character is friends with a dwarf, and he tells you some vital and shocking information: what is this conversation about and why does it shock your MC?

8. SocksFox

SocksFox Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

"Have you ever paused long enough in your headlong seige on life to actually read anything, Myles?" Rex demanded as he settled his short, distorted form in a nearby wingchair.

"What the devil are you talking about?" Myles barked. "It's always riddles with you, about one thing and another. I don't have time for this. You know what I'm dealing."

Rex nodded, his expression wry. Never had he seen his friend so rattled. "Angel and her seeming lack of a heart, in quiet a literal sense."

Seething, Myles slammed his fist against the mantelpiece. How could Rex be so calm in the face of this? What did he know? "There is silence where there should be sound, stillness that should mean death. Yet she breaths, talks, and lingers among us. How can it possibly be?"

Rex's smile flashed, feral and dark. He could see the cogs turning in Myles's overstuffed head. "Can you think of no other instance where you have heard of such a thing?"

Myles scoffed, waving away the possibility. "The faerytales and hocum of Old Eli's poems? The one about the girl with the frozen heart? Nonsense."

"Is it?" Rex countered.

Something flickered in the depths of a memory, realisation dawned. "What was the name of the girl?" he asked.

"Aster," Rex replied.

"And her parents, according to the tale?"

"The Man in the Moon and the Lady of Autumn."

Myles's rigid stance crumbled, his shoulders slumping as if the weight of the world had settled upon them. "It's Watch and Lady Autumn, Rex. That is who the poem is talking about. She's their daughter."

"Which would make your Angel, the flower with a frozen heart." Rex said.

"How is it even possible to do something like that?" Myles pressed.

"You know, old fellow, for a duke, you are woefully ignorant about the customs and skills of your Tribe, arcane though they are." Rex said, heaving himself out the the chair and reaching for his cane.

Lumbering over to his befuddled companion, he brought the walking stick to bear, catching Myles upside the head. "Idiot!" He roared. "This is Watch we're talking about. If anyone knows how to bind a darkkin's powers, it's him. What you need to focus on, is how to break that binding."

Myles peered down from his splendid height, even as he rubbed the swelling knot on the side of his head. "It's killing her, isn't it?"

Rex nodded. "Slowly. That much power was never meant to be constrained. Angel fears it, and her fear is only feeding it."

"So how do we break the ice?"

Rex's eyes darkened with worry. "That my friend is for you to figure out."

Your MC loses their prize possession: a.) How did they lose it, and b.) How do they react upon discovering it's loss or describe the process in which it is lost.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2014
  9. Miss Red

Miss Red Member

Ashburn's Amber Blade of Firelight slipped from his fingers as Adder barreled into him, and Ashburn shouted in dismay as the slim sword clanked on the wooden bridge, spinning on it's tip before swerving through the gaps in the bridge railing. Ashburn shouldered Adder off and rushed to the bridge rail, looking down. The blade spun in the air, broken sunlight rattling off of it as it sailed the tremendous emptiness above the water.
    Ashburn didn't even hear it as it splashed into the vast, rushing river, a tiny speck of orange disappearing into the depths of the water. A tiny part of Ashburn's spirit cried in remorse at the loss, deep inside Ashburn. He rounded on Adder, "You fool!" He accused. "That was our only hope! That was a gift from the Glade!"

Ashburn swung away, stalking back to his side of the bank. Adder didn't follow, but his expression was stil sour. "Next time, stay off our side of the bridge."
    Anger gnawed at Ashburn, but he held his tongue as he stormed back onto the ground, pebbles crunching beneath his feet. As the frustration faded, tendrils of cold anxiety and regret began to slither through his insides. What would Scorchwillow say? It was the last brother's gift he gave before he had disappeared. Ashburn shouldn't have tried to provoke Adder. Ashburn should have came with Plumrose and Horseshoe.

Ashburn tripped, making irritation flare up in his chest. He twisted around, spotting a protruding root that had the nerve to sprawl out onto the road back to the town. Feeling particularly immature, Ashburn stomped back toward the root and kicked it. "Trying to murder me?" Ashburn chastised. "I could have fallen and choked to death on a pebble!" He turned away, irritated. He gave a heavy sigh. "I'm sorry." He added to the root. "I've had a bad day."
    Laughter made Ashburn jump. He whirled around, half expecting that the oak tree at the side of the road could talk.

"Talking to yourself again?" A town villager queried. She gave him a wrinkly smile. "Come, I'm going the same way as you."
    Ashburn watched as she walked ahead a few paces. She was elderly. Chest deflating, Ashburn followed after.

----

Your Main Character finds a basket ball sized egg. (Not necessarily basket ball shaped, though.) It's about to hatch, with scratching/baby animal noises coming from inside it. What does it look like, how does the creature get out, and what's born from it?

10. LorenaTralala

LorenaTralala Member

"Well? What is it?" I ask Kam, more than a little panicked.
    "You don't just find eggs like this lying around do you?" I try again, glancing down at it.
    He just smiles in that annoying I-know-something-you-dont way he has and sits on the grass in front of the large egg. I frown and follow his lead, if he's sitting in front of it, it cant be too harmless right? I regard the shaking blue egg with caution and scoot around to Kam's side, careful not to take my eyes off it.
    "Shouldn't be long now, once it's hatched we'll have to take it to it's home right away. I'm not sure how you got it or why it was so far away, Hesia will want to know all about it." My eyes threaten to bulge out of my skull at the mention of Hesia.
    "It's a dragon egg?" I whisper in disbelief as if the baby dragon would hear me and come shooting out to singe my face.
    Kam shrugs and nods nonchalantly, resting back on his hands.
    "I've never seen one being born before, where were it's parents? Why was it so close to our house?" again, shrug. I furrow my brow and nudge him with my shoulder.
    "It's a mystery to me as much as you Ophelia, just because I'm a mythic doesn't mean I know much more about us than you. Remember, all I know is what I've read." After a seconds thought he frowns at the egg just starting to crack at the bottom. "Although it's highly unlikely any dragon would leave their egg anywhere unattended."
    "That's what I'm saying! I-" Snap!
    I hold in a scream as the top of the egg flies off at us, Kam sits up and leans forward as a small black talon hooks around the edge. The chihuahua sized dragon pulls itself up slowly, it's little head peaking out of the egg at us with bright fire blue eyes licking at the air like a snake. As it attempts to climb out I scoot forward as well, mesmerized by this tiny innocent creature. The egg starts crumbling around it under it's weight and Kam breaks away the remaining bottom half.
    It watches me with a calm patience, as if waiting for me to show it how to be a dragon, I look to Kam for help but he's staring as well, when it realizes I wont be moving any time soon it leaps forward into my lap and nuzzles my hand, unintentionally scratching my arm with the tiny spikes on the back of it's head and neck.
    "What now? I think it thinks I'm it's mom," before Kam can speak it suddenly gets very hot and I nearly throw it off me but it expels a burst of fire at it's egg like a burp and instantly cools.
    "Get it to Hesia right now," he looks around the surrounding forest and I know he's calling Euripides.

"Hesia?!" I call to the empty cavern as Euripides lands gracefully, shaking his wild onyx mane trying to catch the moonlight.
    Hesia scares me by flying over us and landing in the cavern next to us.
    'Yes- my, how did you find her?' her wise eyes land on the dragon sleeping in my arms against my chest.
    "She was abandoned in the wood near my house in the north and about to hatch so I brought her to Kam because I didn't know what to do, and now it seems she's taken a liking to me." I step forward to offer the little dragon to Hesia but she shakes her head.
    'No, Ophelia, she has imprinted, you are her mother now, separating you would only bring her pain,' Hesia watches us sadly.
    "What? But I don't know how to raise a dragon!?"

~*~*~
    You Main Character finds themselves lost in a labyrinth full of obstacles both physical and mental, at the end is the only thing they've ever wanted whatever it is (i.e. a wish, a person, a thing, etc.) how do they find it? Cheating is possible but comes with a price, not navigating the labyrinth at all will cost them their prize forever, what do they do?

11. RachHP

RachHP Senior Member

Well, Jess only recently escaped solitary confinement so PTSD would more than likely kick in and make her a bit useless.
    However, if she could pull herself together, she'd put a hand on one side of the wall and start walking - knowing eventually she would reach the centre. Thinking her brother waited at the heart of the labyrinth would motivate her to stay alive and do her best to tackle each obstacle and though she'd be hesitant at first, nerves would eventually cause her Gift to flare (making her a force to be reckoned with).

She'd reach the centre, but Andrew wouldn't be waiting for her. It would be a bottle that, if drunk, would heal her psychological scars and turn her into a human. Turns out that was her greatest wish, after all...

What would be waiting for your MC in the centre of the labyrinth?

12. GuardianWynn

GuardianWynn Contributor Contributor

My girl Victoria would want to see version of herself with her mother, father and sister. A version of herself in which her hands are not stained with the blood of evil.
    But she can't have that and she accepts it. That is why she wishes for it. As she says;
    "Wishes should be reserved for things we can't get. If we can get them then we don't need a wish."

WHAT IS YOUR GREATEST FEAR? DO YOU ADMIT IT TO OTHERS?

13. Daemon Wolf

Daemon Wolf Senior Member

Titans are brought up and bred not to feel fear or many emotions other than anger and violence. That being said Titan 215 is afraid of the emptiness of space due to an experience of being launched into space without a suit and into the void of space.

What kind of childhood did your MC have?

14. GuardianWynn

Victoria: My childhood can be somed up in one word. Harsh but I am certain you didn't ask seeking only one word. When I was young my mother died. In response my father decided to make me a warrior. It was hard at first. I stil remember when we started. How my father would induce magical pressure on me. Which felt like my weight was double. A bit harsh for a four year old right? I got used to it though. Because of my training the world at large seems rather simply by contrast.

What is your MC greatest hope? Is there realistic chance of him having this?

15. Daemon Wolf

My hope is to die in battle fighting for the peace in the universe I was promised, for once peace floods the universe what use is there for a death machine?

What is your MC's favorite tool and or weapon?

16. Bjørnar Munkerud

Bjørnar Munkerud Senior Member

My first choice is always my weapon (it's the term used in-story as there's only one type of weapon commonly in use (it's sort of like a lightsabre)). It's black with a magical glow to it, I can make it appear out of thin air and make it disappear just as easily, it doesn't cause any harm when it hits someone or something unless I want it to, it can slice through just about anything and I can shape it into a stick, shield or even a bow with arrows. When I use it I go by the nickname "Bladeslinger" because my fighting style involves swinging it about quickly and unpredictably.

What is your MC's secret weakness? Where, physically or emotionally, can you prod them the right way and have them reduced to a sobbing mess on the floor?

17. Link the Writer

^ Oooh! Good one!

Mishu Jerni
    The way to break her is to say that no one, not even her caretakers, really cared about her. She has a problem with authority because she never really had a very strong parental foundation to rely on. The only caretaker she remembers having is a priestess who just barely managed to convince the Temple elders that she was worth caring for. Have her believe that all she ever was was just another mouth to feed, or a means to an end.

Amos Garnier
    Murder his friends. As someone Amos thought he could trust the most. In a seedy town, friends are the closest thing Amos has to something normal. If you, one of his friends, murdered the rest of his friends, he'll give up.

Helen Chert
    Force Helen to relive the day she had to kill her brainwashed uncle. And mention the ghastly scar on her left leg while you're at it. It's still such a sore subject that it's the elephant in the room at family reunions. No one in her ship brings it up, because on a collective whole that was a mission that failed catastrophically. No one dares bring it up, especially around Helen, one of the sole survivors of that mission.

Mike Wolfletter
    Kill him. Seriously, kill him. Out of everything, the one thing he's afraid of is death. It's the one foe he can't just blast away and ride off into the sunset. It's the one thing he can't stop when it latches onto him. After surviving the Civil War, but losing his family, that's the one thing that makes him scream like a child.

----------
    What are your MC's personal opinions of his/her setting's culture, taboos, etc.? Do they try to fit in anyway, or do they split? Are they afraid of the backlash if they do so?

Bjørnar Munkerud likes this.
  18. LorenaTralala

LorenaTralala Member

Ophelia loves her life and the mythics she helps guide as a queen and the chosen/voice of Gaia. It took her a while at first to get used to this wildly different and ancient culture but knowing she was chosen helped, like she was needed there. After the war and all the happened she was a seamless part of the mythic world. She married the love of her life and built a capitol for them to live, while she will never be truly happy because she cant see her family again she's content for now with her life as the queen and voice of Gaia.

Kamoril however had a rocky start and horrible middle but the end was alright in his eyes. He was part of the mythics by birth but was never treated as such, having been shoved in a cave and told to stay under fear of death. He wanted so badly to hate everything but Tika changed his mind and when he found Ophelia his world flipped. Even though he has the peace he wanted, chose the path he hoped for, and lives in harmony with the mythics as their king and Ophelia's husband, he will never be completely happy. Part of him wants to run away and live the life he once had, climbing the large trees of the south and walking in the starlight alone. This he could never tell, he believes it would hurt Ophelia and create doubt and unrest among his people. For now he smiles a genuine smile and laughs with his whole body because while it isn't his perfect, it's still a great life.

If you could put your MC in any other universe (dr. who, harry potter, LOTR, etc.) which would you put them in and how do you think they would do living there?

19. Daemon Wolf

I would put him in the Star Wars universe and he would probably wander around curious of the new worlds.

Where would your Mc go on a Friday night?

20. GuardianWynn

Victoria: Unless I am on a mission or otherwise occupied. I would do what I do every free night. I would read at home. I prefer the newspaper. I love reading the newspaper. I read many of them. Though not usually from different companies. I usually read papers from different places. Though translating takes so long. So I have been working on learning more langauges. I currently can read German, Japanese, Chinese, Korean, English and Russian. I am going to try Spanish next.

What is a perfect day for your MC? In the context of something that isn't a dream or something they want to do but rather something they can do or have done.

21. Daemon Wolf

Titan 215 wants time alone. He is usually busy killing people and doesn't much like doing it and the only thing he likes to do on his down time is think and daydream. So time alone would be his perfect day.

How would your MC react if s/he had to kill the one s/he loved?

22. belgaer

belgaer New Member

As I introduce her my Andrina's simply no killer. It would take great and terrible events to drive her to such action (events that may well come to pass). She likes the world at arms length, likes the superficialities of thrill, risk, danger and adrenaline. Loving someone personally (as opposed to familially - may not be a word but you get the idea) would be realler than could be entirely comfortable for her. Her struggle would be physical, she might shake, cry or protest. She's strong enough to do it, and enough in the moment that all of these may happen later in extreme circumstances. after the fact she might struggle on the shoulder of crew or family, she might struggle to process on her own. Violence, alcohol or risk taking may very well ensue.

If your MC is a killer before you're considering them- describe the first personthey killed. If not, describe them killing their first person. What drove them to it, who is it and how will they feel about it?

23. Shandeh

Shandeh Active Member

We come into my novel when my MC is 27, but he killed his first enemy soldier when he was 16 (going on 17).

Shaking, I stepped back. I was naive to have ever thought I could serve my King in war and never have to kill a man. My blade fell from my hand. So much blood... who ever could have imagined it would all fit inside a single person?

"Gods forgive me, I-" I choked on my words and ripped my gaze away from the headless corpse. He was a far better fighter than I; it was impossible that I survived. Whether by some twist of fate, or the machinations of the gods, I knew not. I knew only that I was alive, and my assailant was dead, and I had just killed somebody. I had seen just seventeen summers - and sixteen winters - and a man twice my age lay dead at my feet.

"Hale, stop standing there with your mouth open like a half-wit!" Major Falkner bellowed. As I had been trained, I turned my back on my victim and ran to stand at attention before my commanding officer.

"Sir!"

"I thought you were finished, lad. You surprised me. Well done. Now let's go, before more of them arrive!"

I saluted. As the Major led his battalion onward, I fell into step at his right. I may have been a Captain, but I had earned that rank through education and social status; I might as well have been one of the Privates under my inexperienced command. It was the Major who made the decisions.

Would your MC steal a vehicle (horse, car, boat, truck, plane, any form of vehicle that befits your setting) if their life depended on it? Write a scenario in which they might have to.

24. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

"Alex!" Rachel shouted after him. Her feet unlocked, but it was too late. The sound of a door slamming echoed through the still night air, and he was driving off in his stupid, expensive, talking car before she had time to say anything else.

Enraged, the frustration of the past three months catching up with her, she kicked the tyre of a motorbike propped up in a space beside the front entrance. There was a jarring sound, a light tinkling completely at odds with the screaming in her head. Blinking, she saw a bunch of keys lying on the ground, where they had just fallen from the motorbike's ignition.

She looked around, slowly. The car park was deserted.

How hard could it be? They said you never forgot how to ride a bike. It couldn't be much different with an engine, could it?

Half-hoping the outraged owner would appear and stop her, Rachel sat on the bike and put the keys in the ignition. She revved the engine and turned the key, mentally thanking Sam for doing this in front of her so many times. The engine roared to life and the bike bucked slightly. It felt powerful. She felt powerful. He wouldn't get away with it this time. For once, she would catch up with him and the argument would end on her terms, not with him leaving.

What would your MC do if they passed a beggar in the street?

25. Link the Writer

Mishu would probably stop, give them some of her food and recommend staying at a shelter for the homeless.

Amos would feel remorse and guilt, knowing he's living with the rich and there's really nothing he can do for them besides toss paltry money their way. He'd probably pray fervently for them at a church.

Helen would buy them a decent hot meal and eat with them.

Your MC had been through trauma. Years later, he she is now face to face with the man/woman responsible for that trauma and he/she expresses remorse for what he/she had done. He/she is also suffering from terminal illness or is on their deathbed as they apologize to your MC for what they had done. What does your MC do?