1. seelifein69

seelifein69 Active Member

Where are you, and what is it like?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by seelifein69, Dec 2, 2011.

I love the world :]

So where are you, and what is it like?

What's your town like? How are the people? The weather? Special customs? You're home?

2. Felipe

Felipe Active Member

I live in the woods on a river with five laid back dogs and 5 dysfunctional, bipolar cats. One of the smaller cats rubs all over the biggest, baddest Rottweiler's nose and face. It's quiet, I have a large porch and a fireplace out there. The neighbors all take turns cooking on the weekends and invite everyone over. All you hear is hawks in the day and coyotes at night. I love it.

3. seelifein69

I live in SW FL (aka paradiso) and it's chilly today!

My town is super quiet. Pretty safe and it's a beach town.

People are either very snobby or kinda fakeish. Mostly the good people leave because it's kinda boring here.

I have a special custom, I shoot guns every Thanksgiving!

My dad has a cool key west-y style house. And I rent a room a few streets down from my pops (the rent is way high here)

4. seelifein69

That sounds amazing! I lived on a river once and the wildlife was amazing. Sounds like paradise too, Felipe!

5. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

For the last eight years, I've lived in a large town near London.

Previously I lived in London for five years, in several places in New Zealand, and a couple of places in Germany. Also spent a short time in Canada (where my parents were wanting to emigrate, but did not in the end.)

Where I live is ok. It's good for work and it's nice to be able to get into Paddington in 20 mins.

However I've been spending a bit of time in the West country (esp. Somerset) over the last few years, and I think I could easily spend more time there. There's something about the lifestyle I really like.

6. seelifein69

I want to go to New Zealand really bad! How is it there?

7. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

I live in my old hometown, a small farming community (:love:000 people) near the Iowa border in Minnesota. I can walk (leisurely) from one end of the town to the other (either direction) in about 30 minutes. Four blocks east is cornfields and the two local cemeteries; five blocks south is cornfields and the city park. Our idea of a traffic jam is getting caught behind farm machinery in the spring and fall. I live in the old homestead (family's been here for 61 years) which has five bedrooms and two bathrooms (ie, more than enough room for my brother and I :D - although sometimes it doesn't seem like it). One of the two main highways runs a block from my place, up a hill, so the rumble of semis coming up that hill is a life-long familiarity. We've had everything from deer to loose cattle run through our yard, and you can't walk or drive in town without having anyone and everyone wave or smile. We have all four seasons with a vengeance, and I wouldn't have it any other way (although every year I swear I'm moving south for the winters!).

8. cheesecake

cheesecake New Member

I'm in the south (not at my will or my first pick). Lonesome with a weenier dog, who's very stubborn, stinky, spoiled yet cute and adorable. :D

9. Cacian

Cacian Banned

I live in London, next door to the Olympic Stadium and the Channel Tunnel from London to Paris.
    It is vibrant, mutlicutural and busy.
    As they say if you ''are tired of London you are tired of Life''.
    It is cold at the moment but the colours of autumns are a real treat.
    No snow as yet :p

10. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

I live in Southern California, about ten minutes from Disneyland and about thirty to forty-five minutes from LA (depending on the traffic). But to be exact I live in Newport Beach. The weather is usually always awesome at the beach. It is normally ten to fifteen degrees cooler than inland (which I love). The people are well, Californians. Do I need to say more?

11. Pallas

Pallas Contributor Contributor

In ny...it's typical as urban settings go. There is always something to do as long as you got money. I suppose I have been too long in ny to say anything good about it; for one thing it needs more bike lanes and oy the people :(....better do as Felipe and stay in the woods.

12. Felipe

Felipe Active Member

It is nice, we have roadrunners, coyotes, fox (red and gray) wolves, alligators, wild hogs, deer and an abundance of birds. the dogs have fun as do the cats chasing the squirrels in the yard. It does get lonely at times but when that happens, I just go sit on the porch with the dogs and life is good.

13. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

I live in sweden and everything is so nice and well organized it's boring. It's a lifeless place to me. I've lived the last 4 years in Italy which is the complete opposite, and now I have an ever harder time than before settling down here. I miss the people, the chaos, the atmosphere, the food, the traditions, the culture and everything about Italy. I wish I could go back. it has everything I miss here. (And yes, despite the crisis and all, I worked more there (and had a more interesting job) than here, even though crisis hasn't affected us much yet.)
    And the weather? Long, cold, dark winters and short, not so warm summers... right now I'm enjoying what must be the warmest winter I can remember, it's still like 7 degrees C and no snow yet.... (I hope it will keep staying away from me.) I hate winters.

14. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Down in Alabama? Not bad. Apparently I live in a part of Alabama where there's only two seasons. Freakin' Cold Winter and Freakin' Hot Summer. Summer is worse. Thanks to the humidity we have, any temperature abouve 80 degrees makes you feel like you're in a desert. Sometimes it hits record highs of 105 degrees.

There are hurricanes, though. Luckily we haven't had a severe one in a while, but when it's hurricane season and there's a hurricane, rest assured that just about every eyeball is glued to the TV screen which is firmly locked onto the weather channel.

15. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

I live in a college town, where I attend school, in Indiana. And it's cold outside today, but at least the sun is shining for the first time in several days. There is still a little snow on the ground (and on my car!) from our surprise 1-2 inches of snow that visited on Wednesday. Right now I'm in computer lab area of the Union, which to me looks a little more like Hogwarts than a student union (it's said that our student union is the second largest in the United States --and I believe it!), where I should be working on my linguistics presentation, but I'm not.

I lay my head in a teeny-tiny room in a teeny-tiny, two-bedroom townhouse that is smaller than most studio apartments overall... but at least we have stairs, right? Stairs that I trip down on a regular basis. :) I like it though. It's on campus, so I don't have to drive everywhere or rely exclusively on the bus system, but it's a very quiet part of campus, and I like that. There is a swing set just outside my house that I like to swing on when I cant sleep or when I'm doing homework, and I can see my best friend's window from my front door. My roommate and I are just starting to put up fun decorations for the holidays, too; she put up a wreath, and I have a miniature white Christmas tree that I'm bringing from my parents' home this weekend. No furry friends live with either my roommate or me, but I hope that by the time I leave this teeny-tiny townhouse in 2013, I can start having pets of my own again.

Indiana is not a bad state to be in. What they say about Midwestern hospitality, for the most part, is true. And I live in the quintessential college town, with lots of old houses and everything is walkable. There are a million and one locally-run shops, restaurants, nightclubs, and bars. You can never visit them all if you manage to come, earn a degree, and get out in the four years that you're supposed to. The distinction between the university campus and the rest of the town is very clear, but the edges are blurry and natural. People take their dogs on walks a lot here, and it's adorable. Most of them let me stop and say hello. ;) (I miss my dog, who lives at my parents' house, so much.) Our campus has been named several times as one of the most beautiful campuses in the country, and I like how the color scheme of the architecture and also the decorations with our school colors compliment all four seasons we get very nicely. Sometimes when the weather is warm, our Spanish class will go outside and have class near the edge of a small creek that separates the old part of campus from the new part.

I like that it has a small-town feel (if you stay long enough, it's a place where everyone will know your name) and is within a two hour drive of our state capital and two other large cities with lots of fun. But if you want to just get away, all you have to do is take a drive to one of the lakes or reservoirs, and you'll see thousands of massive trees but no other people for miles. There is a special spot on one of the lakes that a few people (mostly townies) know about that is called the Edge of Space, because, if the weather is right and you have the right angle, at night the lake reflects the sky so perfectly that all you can see with your eyes is outer space (and the illusion of outer space). It feels like you are literally standing on the edge of the earth and one step will put you into space. I like to go out there and stare up at the stars.

I often get the itch that I want to run far, far away from here... and when I leave, I probably wont come back. The quintessential college town, like I said, has everything, and that can feel very isolating and stuffy. This town tends to turn people into one of two types: for-lifers or never-againers. I'm probably a never-againer, but I'm in no rush to leave either. It's a very pretty town full of very pretty people. I like it here.

16. cheesecake

cheesecake New Member

I hear ya! I'm hoping for a white christmas again. Last year was great. Got snowed in and time off work :)

17. Pallas

Pallas Contributor Contributor

Whoa merc I want to visit the edge of space! @_@

Your current town sounds a lot like my native home in Ecuador, just a sleepy place where all the neighbors know each other and its hemmed in by just amazing hills and mountains...caught a sunset once there, man the cloud aura and rays blew my mind...:eek:

18. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Right now I live in Southern California, in the west end of the San Fernando Valley, about 45 minutes from downtown Los Angeles. Our house is in a gated community. It's sort of beautiful here, but after a year or two, it's BORING. The rest of the world thinks the weather here is perfect, but I come from Canada, and I just hate this climate. Hot, dry summers, no real winters, no springs or falls. And there's TOO MUCH TRAFFIC and nothing interesting on the radio. It seems like everything and everybody is made of plastic.

I yearn to get back home to Canada. Preferably to Vancouver Island, where I lived for five years. Even Toronto (shudder!) would be acceptable to me now, despite the fact that I grew up there and left it thinking I hated it. But it's better than SoCal. More real. More interesting. People made of people instead of plastic.

One day I'm going home.

19. Jhunter

I so agree, I wish we actually had seasons (I made a seven year trek to Boise where there is real seasons, so I feel your pain). And what I meant by the weather being awesome at the beach was that it is more cool than inland (I hate the heat). But all in all I greatly dislike the weather in California.

Traffic is ultra terrible and makes me want to kill myself, haha. There is so many things wrong when it takes two hours to go fifteen miles.

91.5 KUSC is an awesome radio station (if you like classical). They rarely stop playing music and I do not think I have ever heard a real commercial on there, since it is a fan supported/run station.

I myself really want to go to Canada for vacation. But I am not allowed inside, haha. :rolleyes:

How you can think Southern California is boring is beyond me though. There is so many things to do and see here even for locals.

I will agree that the people of Southern California tend to be fake (figuratively and literally) especially in LA. I miss the people in Boise, they seem like the people you miss in Canada. But I am lucky enough to have grown up in Southern California so I have real friends and family here that are not made of plastic. :)

20. Boomfog

Boomfog New Member

I live in Irvine (a city in Orange County, California). The weather can't make up its mind (one minute it's raining, the next two minutes, it's sunny) and the people can't stick to one mood/personality/whatever. I would rather live in Northern California, but that's just because I'm tired of the constant sun (even though I used to live in Fort Lauderdale, Florida). Irvine sucks because there's not much to do here and the cops will be on your ass if you're a teenager riding a bike without a helmet.

Some people are pretty chill here, but I've met awesome-r characters in LA (specifically Santa Monica). But California as a whole is great; I just really don't like Orange County, heh.

Oh, and I would love to visit New Zealand, too. Then again, I'd love to visit a lot of places...

I'm waiting for something big in the weather here. Very different from Florida, I'll tell you that---no tornadoes, hurricanes, floods, or sticky weather here!

21. Jhunter

Cops in Irvine are total dicks because they have nothing else to do. Irvine is a quiet city.

22. Boomfog

Boomfog New Member

Yeah. I know.

The most activity I've seen here is the Occupy movement near city hall.

23. Cerika13

Cerika13 New Member

I live in the Philippines (yes the hottest country during summer). Correct me if I'm wrong but, am I the only Asian here?

Our town is completely quiet and relaxing. The people here are extremely helpful, amiable and nice. They're more of a religious people actually. It has lots of exciting place for tourist. You'll quite enjoy the hot sun, the foods and our culture.

Although there has been some problems about our economy and chaos. For me it's quite boring and hot here that's why I dream of traveling around the world than staying in one place. Mostly we get lots of typhoons and volcanic eruptions in some islands.

24. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

As a holiday destination, there's little to fault there. Beautiful nature, animals, cities and towns. If you go, I'd say see everything you can, both North and South Islands. I lived in Auckland, Nelson and Christchurch - all of them very tourist-oriented.

Of course living somewhere is a bit different. I lived there for six years, and the job opportunities can be limited. Understandable perhaps in part; it's a small country.

25. Jethelin

Jethelin Member

I live in a small town in Missouri (misery ;) ). If I don't know someones name, I know their face. We don't have a Wal-Mart, and the best place for high school kids to hang-out is the school parking lot at night, the McDonald parking lot until they get kicked out, the town with the Wal-Mart 15 minutes from here, or with found alcohol driving in a big truck on the back roads (back-roading). It is a town that every little thing that is worth hearing is heard within the day. once someone spray painted a racist statement on a back road 3 miles from town. An hour later everyone at my old high school was talking about it and making plans to get back at our "rival town" who of course, had to be responsible. That "rival town" then apparently issued a statement that they were coming to my town to fight my town. Which more or less meant half the bored teenagers in town appeared at the parking lot with the broken street lamp to watch said fight. Nothing happened.

I love my small town, I love how friendly the people are, I love the comparative quiet. I will probably miss it later in life, but for now I just want out.