1. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

Critique Exchange A Novel Buddy?

Discussion in 'Collaboration' started by Charisma, Jul 26, 2014.

I'm not sure if this kind of thing has any prognosis, but there's no harm putting it out there.

So, I was thinking it would help me and (and my prospective "novel buddy") if we worked on our novels together--something along the lines of a progress journal and a critique exchange, . Kind of like having a skull to bounce ideas off of. Well...a skull with brain tissue, and such. :D

A better analogy would be a weight loss buddy. We can track our progress together, discuss our novel's plot, characters, complications, etc. A full-out critique could also be a possibility once we've established trust of some sort, I suppose. I'm not sure what exactly it will accomplish, but I always benefited from having someone to talk to my novel about extensively, even if they didn't have any suggestions. I guess in reciprocity it would help only more.

Since this is pretty vague from the outset, interested "novel buddies" (gosh, I need a better title) could post here, starting with what they think should be the operational rules and outcomes of such a partnership. People with similar availability (so that neither feels ignored or overburdened) are probably preferred.

Let's see if this bears any fruit.

2. Ulramar

Ulramar Contributor Contributor

I could, if you wanted. I write low fantasy based on the second story down the series that I'm working on.

What do you write? If it's something I'm not familiar with, and vice versa, it wouldn't be a great pairing.

3. Charisma

Low fantasy sounds like something I am relatively more acquainted with and attuned to, than, say, not-so-low fantasy. :p I have to be honest, I don't strictly follow any genre so my writing style is not as typical of any particular one. However, my current project is a crime/suspense/thriller. How do you find that?

4. Ulramar

My main concern was romance, so yeah crime/suspense/thriller sounds good to me.

5. Charisma

Oh. *shudders* Romance frightens me.

So, what are your expectations from such a collaboration? How do you think we could go about it? (If you want, we can continue this conversation over PM)

6. Ulramar

It's fine with me right here. We're the first ones to do this on the forums so if others do it they may have a base point with what we do.

Oh gosh, I don't know. I need a beta-reader that I can tie down to read my book. The last few disappeared before they got to actually reading my work, so when this one is finished I'd like to have someone. I guess we just check in regularly once a week or twice a week just to see how things are going, unless we need a, "Hey does this make sense?", then we check in whatever. I check this forum at least once a day so I can get to you fast.

That's all I can think of right now. You?

7. Charisma

Oh dear. We're....rolemodels. *shudders* Too much commitment. x_x

Anyway.

That's sounds like a good starting point. Of course, now that you bring it up, where exactly are you in your book, and what's the timeline you're following? Our timelines don't have to be in sync, but I guess it would make a difference. For me, I'm at the start of my book. My timeline is around 7 months. What about yours?

Also, once or twice in a week sounds reasonable, however, someone like me might want something more frequent. Not a PM at 2 in the morning which I expect a response to within the first quarter, but perhaps more open to back-to-back collaboration. Of course, then, that brings me to your schedule. :p how much time do you give to your novel, daily?

8. Ulramar

I'm three chapters into this current book. The last one I wrote (the same length) took six months, so we're about on track with each other. I intend to work hard but not quickly.

More is fine with me of course, I'm constantly bouncing ideas around in my head so anything that pops up ~probably~ needs a sanity check. Back to back collaboration.... not really sure what you mean by that but I'm sure it'll work.

I spend at least an hour a day writing, but on a free day it's up to five hours.

9. Charisma

Yay, all tasks at hand have been cleared. (No idea why I'm quoting Code Geass.)

By back-to-back, I meant more like, when we have more time and more important things to discuss, we may give each other more frequent replies. Otherwise, well, we live and let live. :p

So, when/how shall we start?

10. Ulramar

I'm not actually sure... oh jeez. Start as soon as possible. How is my only problem.

11. Charisma

xD Well. Hm. I guess it makes sense we start off by explaining our plot premise (not the entire story, of course) to one another. In my case, I have already posted two excerpts which are from the first and second chapter of the novel. If you want, I can PM you a plot premise anyhow. And, well, you could PM me yours?

12. Ulramar

Yeah I'll PM it to you, though I kind of have to explain EVERYTHING. Give me a few minutes (or more).