1. Gee-zus

Gee-zus New Member

Mathew Reilly - The Shane Schofield series

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Gee-zus, Apr 28, 2011.

Hello

I really like Mathew Reilly - The Shane Schofield series. in particularly Ice station. it had moments of James bond. die hard, even Escape from L A. ( area 7 ) it felt like a Hollywood blockbuster. I just wondered if there were more fans of this series. as i get the feeling he may be underrated as an author. but that could just be me

I just wondered what everyone thought on his books are:).

oh and can anyone recommend any more books like this by different authors ?

2. Midnight_Adventurer

Midnight_Adventurer Active Member

Hello Gee-zus,

You're not alone :) I'm a fan of Matthew Reilly and I'm sure you'd be excited to know that his new writing project is a Shane Schofield book. I'm not too sure how popular he is in Scotland, but here in Australia he's one of the top selling authors. Have you read his Jack West series?

3. Gee-zus

Gee-zus New Member

hello Midnight_Adventurer,

i read only tonight that theres going to be a new Shane Schofield book. scarecrow and the army of thieves i think it said. i will be looking forward to it. i do have one of the Jack west books to read but i'm shamefully behind on my reading thanks to terry goodkind sword of truth series. so i haven't had the chance to read it. are they good?

4. Midnight_Adventurer

Yeah, The Army of Thieves, sounds interesting. The Jack West series is a good read, they're like the Indiana Jones series only ten times more dangerous, lol. Typical Matthew Reilly intensity, with twists and turns. His books actually inspired me to try and write my first novel, unfortunately it's collecting virtual dust at the moment. Coincidently enough my characters are currently in Scotland, just outside St Andrews to be exact. I love the Scottish accent, I've got some heritage there too.

5. Gee-zus

Gee-zus New Member

Thats cool and kinda freaky to. but i'm near the bottom of Fife. just oustide Dunfermline. I got the feeling that the other books had an indy feel to it. and i loved indy, well the last film was questionable to say the least. so i am look forward to reading the books soon. Mathew Reilly made me want to explore outside of sci fi and fantasy novel and that takes some doing.

6. Midnight_Adventurer

Kinda freaky? lol, just a coincidence. My characters' Grandfather (who's Scottish) lives in an old castle on the river Tay, I modelled it off Birkhill castle, if you've ever heard of it.
    Yeah I agree, the last Indiana movie was a bit...disappointing, but what was even worse was I saw it like five times cause my friend loved Shia LaBeouf! What a good friend I am, lol. I heard they're thinking of making another Jones movie and Harrison Ford is interested :O. Oh, and Ice Station was the first MR book I read, the only one I don't have is Hovercar Racer, have you read it?

7. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributor Contributor

I've only read Temple but it was an awesome read. My friends keep telling me to read his other works, but I haven't gotten around to them yet.

8. Gee-zus

Gee-zus New Member

Wow you are a good friend indeed. you'd have to drag me kicking and screaming to watch that guy. transformers 1 was OK but by the 2nd one i was kinda hoping they'd stamp on him. well there's always the third one. lol

I haven't read hover car. it's harder to find that. ( i might go order it online after i'm done with my pile of books. )

9. Gee-zus

Gee-zus New Member

I really fancy reading that book. but i just havent gotten round to that. partly because i fear it wont be the same as the Shane Schofield books. In terms of how much i liked it and just the pace of it really.

10. Midnight_Adventurer

Yeah my friend owes me big for that, lol. The second Transformers movie was a big flop in my opinion, kinda like the 2nd, 3rd, and by the looks of it 4th Pirates of the Caribbean movies. I'm sceptical of the third Transformer movie; I might wait for the DVD.
    Oh it is? Strange. It's a kids kinda book, so unless you're dying to read it I don't think it's really worth searching the net for.
    Temple is a great read, one of his larger books too. Seeing as you're an MR I don't think you'll be disappointed. It's fast paced, full of action and adventure. The only difference is it's a standalone book, but I think you'll still like the main characters.

11. Gee-zus

Gee-zus New Member

Midnight_Adventurer i thought you might like to know I've went and ordered temple, so i will wait on that. and maybe try finish off terry good kinds blood of the fold which is my main read while i wait.

yeah i total agree on pirates 2 and 3 and i'm going to say the same about 4 as well. even thou i ain't see it. movies are becoming like fast food. good for a while but not a long term thing. why can't we create modern greats like shawshank redemption. pulp fiction. alien. scarface. theres black and white movies and shows i still watch compared to the one hit wonders I've seen lately. like Joanah Hex or the green hornet.

i wonder if you agree? p.s feel free to add me as a friend or send a friend request.

12. Gee-zus

Gee-zus New Member

Just order temple. so i will let you know when i get it and if it's good. you should try the other stuff you will love it.

13. Velox

Velox Member

I haven't read anything by him yet, but I've been trying to find Ice Station. Once I can find it at a used bookstore somewhere [they're pretty much the only places I shop (unless it's a brand new book that I'll order off of BarnesandNoble.com), as I don't have all that much money (almost no money right now, as I recently went on a book shopping spree =P) being only sixteen].

But it's good to see that the general consensus is that he's a good writer.

If I were to get something out of his Shane Schofield series [as I'll only want to get Ice Station to begin with (rather than any book I see, for example), as I like reading series in order], which do you guys think is best?

14. Midnight_Adventurer

Hi Gee-zus :)
    I'm glad you're getting Temple. It's a big book, but it's not a bad thing when it comes to MR books, lol. Good analogy--movies are like fast food. I totally agree it's rare to have a movie come out that's decent and entertaining and something you want to get on DVD and watch again. I can't remember the last time a bought a movie for that reason, *sigh*.

Hi Velox,

I'd recommend the one you're getting, Ice Station because, mostly because it was the first MR I read and it's the first in the Shane Schofield series. It's a great read.

15. Chairman_Xi

Chairman_Xi New Member

My two cents: WHY DOES HE HAVE TO USE EXCLAMATION MARKS WHILE NARRATING?????

But yes, that aside, his books are quite a gripping read.

16. Daydream

Daydream Contributor Contributor

He's definitely one of my favourite authors! Read all his books. If you like his books I reckon you'll most likely enjoy Tom Clancey.

17. Kade Logan

Kade Logan New Member

I recently read "The Trojan Device" by Jeff Edis. It reminded me a LOT of Reilly's earlier stuff like Ice Station!

18. SteamWolf

SteamWolf New Member

I've only read Ice Station, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. You can tell he was pretty young when he wrote it so I'd imagine his later stuff will be very good when I do find the time to read them.