What's in a (User) Name?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by JessWrite, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Tantrika

Tantrika New Member

Tantrika is a practitioner of Tantric Buddhism. I am a Tantrika.

2. nomadpenguin

nomadpenguin Member

In elementary school, we used to make up stories about roving warrior penguins.

3. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

I bought a huge vintage book on slang at a used book store and laughed myself silly over some of the entries.
    Couldn't resist peachalulu which was under extraordinary exclamations - their versions of cool. But to me it sounds kinda
    daffy which suits me to a t.
    I'm kinda daffy.

4. inkyliddlefingers

inkyliddlefingers New Member

Mine was because I use fountain pens all the time. I clean them out on a Sunday evening, and then refill them. On Sunday evenings my fingers are always multicoloured...

On another forum I'm known as duracelldizzy. This was a name we used to give to our friends who used motorized wheelchairs at school ( I am disabled myself). We referred to ourselves generally as Dizzies (from 'disabled') and those who used battery operated chairs were naturally called Duracell Dizzies. People who used crutches were Sticky Dizzies; people who used manual wheelchairs and got around under their own steam were called Whizzy Dizzies. I started as a Sticky Dizzy, became a Whizzy Dizzy and now Im a Duracell Dizzy :-(

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Or you could be a Spindizzy id you are into science fiction (google it if you are unfamiliar with the term).

6. Show

Show Contributor Contributor

Show was a nickname I got on other forums where I was Showcreator. That came from my desire to create TV shows. (And I did do some very amateur online serials back then too, so it was kind of my thing.)

7. Woolyloach

Woolyloach New Member

The saga of the Great Wooly Loach

This is somewhat long, but here goes!

Up to about 4 years ago I kept tropical freshwater fish, at one time having 30 50 gallon tanks and one 135 gallon tank. I kept angelfish, corydoras catfish, discus, and several species of loaches. Loaches are known for being very long-lived fish (being in the carp family) and having interesting and unusual personalities. The 135 gallon tank contained my favorite fish, clown loaches.

Clown loaches can live upward of 40 years and grow to a foot long in the wild (generally 9 inches in a tank). They sleep on their sides and will actually turn upside down in their caves and see how you react to it! I had to find new homes for them all when I moved from California to Texas, to this day I get photos from their new owners.. it's like getting pics of your kids, I guess.

Anyway, I belonged to a loach-specific message board called Loaches On-Line. In one random thread, someone postulated the existence of loaches in the Ice Age, and we developed the myth of the Great Wooly Loach!

The Great Wooly Loach was 20 feet long, covered in fur and scales, and would routinely suck saber-tooth tigers and mammoths into the water and eat them. Alas, they're almost extinct now - most of the remaining Great Wooly Loaches are living in the Bermuda Triangle and will eat the occasional ship, airplane, or unwary tourist.

When it came time to get my own Web domain name, everything I could think of was taken - so I tried woolyloach.com and YES! It was available!

So ever since, I've gone by Woolyloach. :D

8. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Gigi because it was my nickname from the Niceklodeon boards (don't judge me :p ) and GNR because Guns n' Roses was my favorite band at the time I joined.

9. AmyHolt

AmyHolt New Member

Hm, you get three guesses where my username came from and the first two guesses don't count.

I use my name because if something ever comes of the books I'm writing then I'm building the brand called me. And then you can say I knew her when she was a nobody and made silly comments on my writers forum. If nothing ever comes of the books I'm writing then you probably won't even remember me so it doesn't matter. I also have a website www.AmyHolt.com for the same reason. I will succeed or I will make a fool of myself trying, both sound like fun.

10. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Alive in the Superunknown

Mine is an old Air Force nickname. I was a firefighter in the service, and one of the nicknames I picked up was "Thumper", for some reason that I don't really remember. The brothas in the station took to extending it as I spell it now.

I've been using it for 12 or so years as an online handle now. I like it because it's got an element of the ridiculous, and because it's pretty gender-neutral.

Before this one, I used a variety of handles on AOL, usually punnish in nature.

11. Lady Amalthea

Lady Amalthea Member

When I was a kid I was obssessed with the movie "The Last Unicorn". I even started to grow my hair long because of Lady Amalthea -- her hair goes down to her ankles, mine only goes down to my lower back, but still, it's a tribute. From this movie also came my love for unicorns. I read Peter S. Beagle's book many years after that, and I loved it as well.

In classical mythology, Amalthea was Zeus' foster-mother, a goat who lived in a cave somewhere in Crete. Amalthea suckled the god when he was just a tiny immortal infant. But you know, I'd rather be a unicorn than a goat. :D

12. Quabajazzi

Quabajazzi Member

Quabajazzi Meow is usually my full net name. I don't know how it surfaced. It was like a brain twitch and ended up being one of my first personified image which is a pink cat with violet eyes.

13. Mercissa

Mercissa Member

LOL at Quabajazzi! Mercissa is the name of a character in my first full length novel. The name came out of improvisation but really fit the character's cool nature. Since she holds qualities that I aspire to have, I decided to use it. Also, my real name starts with an 'M' but it isn't as suave or fantastical as Mercissa.

14. Feivel

Feivel New Member

I took my username from Fievel from An American Tail. It was one of my favourite films growing up. For one reason or another I've ended up living in different countries, and whenever I feel a little lost I always think of Fievel (although I prefer the spelling in my name!).

15. vVvRapture

vVvRapture New Member

Nothing special really.

My username used to be CCM30 for a while. That was when I first started joining forums when I was younger. It stood for "ChainChompMasta30" referring to the special item that Baby Mario and Baby Luigi used in Mario Kart: Double Dash, while 30 is my day of birth and lucky/favorite number. Because the first forum I ever joined was the now-defunct Nintendo Nsider Forums, it fit.

I kept using CCM30 online but never used it as a tag in games, mostly because I only owned Nintendo consoles until I got an Xbox 360 in 2007. On Xbox Live, I just used random usernames, never CCM30, which was relegated to forums primarily.

Then, in 2009, when I joined vVv Gaming, I decided to change my tag and chose, "Rapture", which was a quick decision based on my love for Bioshock at the time and Rapture is the setting of that game. Once I became vVv Rapture, I began to use that for both all forums and all online tags and CCM30 was retired.

Nowadays I just go by vVv Rapture, as I do now at this forum.

16. NumberOneChin

NumberOneChin New Member

A close friend of mine considers my chin to be disproportionate to the rest of my face. Well, her exact words are more likely to be, "Your chin is massive!" but you get the point. As such, she has very cleverly conjured up the nickname 'Chin' for me, which, after months of protesting, I now consider affectionate.

I simply added the 'NumberOne' bit on here because it matches my YouTube user name. And I chose the 'NumberOne' bit on there because I am the friend's number one. It's quite pathetic, really. Pathetic or cute. Probably pathetic.

17. Momenly

Momenly New Member

My username is basically my name plus "ly".

18. BriT

BriT New Member

I wanted to keep it simple. I just refused to be goofy. Plus it never comes across well when I do. -__- So I chose to use one of my nicknames and the first letter of one of my other (middle or last I don't want to say which) names. :redface:

19. El Chacal

El Chacal New Member

I like jackals.