1. MRice

MRice New Member

Non-profit?

Discussion in 'Research' started by MRice, Feb 21, 2012.

I've looked around on-line and have a vague understanding, but any deepening of this would be wonderful. As a rule, are most battered womens shelters run as non-profits?

It looks that way from what I'm seeing, but I could be not seeing it right.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Yes, either non-profit or not-for-profit (the distinction is subtle, except to the tax collectors)

3. MRice

MRice New Member

Ahhhh... well, tax collectors split hairs and get blood from rocks soooo... ;) Thanks Cogito

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i've worked in homeless shelters, which often connect with battered women's shelters, and have never heard of any that aren't non/not for profit... can't see how one could possibly make a profit on such a thing...

5. MRice

MRice New Member

I was pretty sure Mamma, but... as I'm oft reminded.. I can be wrong. lol. Huh... I don't know either... huh... something to ponder. Perhaps if our society and culture changd radically?

6. mammamaia

meaning what?... changed how?... they're already about as greed-driven as possible...

7. MRice

MRice New Member

Sorry.. was musing out loud I suppose. I didn't mean it literally. One of my charactures in my current project runs a womens shelter, but has a a VERY nice condo in a very expensive part of town. I had someone ask me how that would be possible with her current job.. I actually hadn't thought about it until now.

8. mammamaia

people who run shelters generally do it to help those in need, certainly don't do it for the money, as shelters are run mostly on donations, don't have funds to pay even decent salaries...

so if she lives that well, then she must have supplementary income from another source... family money, a well-paid husband, etc....

9. Afion

Afion New Member

Non-profit means a charity. :D

10. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

some charity workers are well paid for what they do - maybe it is part of a larger charity and she is the adminstrator.

OR maybe the shelter does have a business attached which helps the women back to work and turns a tidy profit. She could write books on the side,

11. Nakhti

Nakhti Banned

LOL, people who write books on the side don't have any money... :D

12. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Kathy Reichs does OK with it ;) hence Temperence Brennan getting large cheques in the TV series. There is another thriller writer that still does his fulltime spy type consultancy work, forgotten which one lol but he's had enough bestsellers to inject cash into his life.

Most people who write books on the side don't, but there are always exceptions.

I know a couple of historians who are much better off than the average because of writing and TV work.

13. mammamaia

then they wouldn't be a 'non-profit' charity, unless every cent of the 'profit' goes right back into running the shelter... and in that case, it couldn't be supporting the luxurious lifestyle of its director, unless she was embezzling...

every non-profit venture has a board of directors who oversee how the money that comes in is spent, so the director would have to be supporting her upscale life with totally private funds such as an inheritance, money earned from prior jobs, divorce settlement, and so on...