1. Lotgrinder

Lotgrinder Member

What's the best way to go about a good pen name?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Lotgrinder, Apr 2, 2013.

I've always posted on forums as Lotgrinder.

You can't use that as a pen name though, right?

I was thinking of going with L.G. Blazo.

L.G= Lotgrinder

Blazo= The old name tag that was left on my condo's buzzer for a month when I moved in.

I want to use a pen name because there's no way in hell I'd ever want my family or friends to know about some of the stuff I am trying to write.

2. ChaosReigns

ChaosReigns Be Still and Know Contributor

go with whatever makes more sense for you, i have the same reason for wanting a pen name, i dont want friends and family knowing what i write...

ive always had a name to use, Lupo Xenon, the first is Esperanto for Wolf, thats a nickname of mine and i thought that Xenon made a nice flow, despite being a chemical element

3. SwampDog

SwampDog Contributing Member

I'm intrigued as to why an author wouldn't want friends and family to know what they write. :eek:

But I can see the benefit of a pseudonym to get near the middle of the alphabet on a bookshelf, or to make an alliterative name or have syllabic rhythm:

Jo na than Kell er man
    Clive Cussler
    Frederick Forsyth
    Bill Bryson
    Daniel Defoe

4. ChaosReigns

for me, i write horror, which, to my family and friends, seems like the last thing i would write, i want to keep it that way, but still get things out there, also, because i can write in more than one genre, if i do write in another genre and use my own name, it seems like i am still writing.

also, being someone who has a name that sounds like 3 first names, it gets irritating trying to explain it to people, thus, taking out any need to question the name, i can get on with the writing

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

pretty much anything is ok as long as it doesn't lead anyone who knows/knew you to guess it's you...

should be something you're comfortable with, not anything we like...

6. ChaosReigns

exactly, itll be something i know no one that i know, will know, except from the person i trust to read through it

7. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

I'd avoid something like Lupo Xenon. It's too obviously a pen name, and people would go "Oh, come on!"

I'd also definitely avoid something deliberately offensive or provocative, like "Adolf Hitler Smith" or something like that.

Just pick a normal name, something easy to spell and remember, and preferably something that does not deliberately hide your gender (like just using initials instead of a full first name).

8. ChaosReigns

fair point dude, should really reconsider the name...

9. CatnipCupid

CatnipCupid Member

I have two I will use: One is for children's and YA. The other, for adult readers. I like how they sound.

10. madhoca

madhoca Contributing Member Contributor

I always use a surname that starts with "A", and something short and easy to remember rather than overly artistic. It's a big advantage online when writers are listed in alphabetical order, or on the publisher's website for readers to post reviews.

11. funkybassmannick

funkybassmannick Contributing Member

I agree with madhoca that it should be easy to remember. Also, if it can fit the genre to some degree, it might be even easier to remember. For example, I think "Garth Nix" is a perfect name for a YA fantasy writer. It's so good I thought it was a pen name, but it's actually his real name. It's easy to remember and fits the genre.

My name is soooo common; I definitely need a pen name of some kind. I've personally met two other people that share it, AND there's even a fairly successful writer with my name. So... yeah.

12. DeathandGrim

DeathandGrim Contributing Member

I always go under my name usually

I remember using the name Dennis more than once but I don't remember why I chose that name
    I figure using DeathandGrim or just Grim would be a bit morbid

If I'm trying to conceal my identity I probably would use the name R.A.N. (Random Ass Name)

13. iolair

iolair Active Member

I assumed that about "Karin Slaughter" - after all, the surname "Slaughter" is way too obvious for a crime writer. But I was wrong; it's her real name.

14. blenderpie

blenderpie Member

I just picked another name that I liked (not that it matters. I've only been published in a university publication under my real name). I didn't want it to sound crazy or have a lot of meaning. Just another normal person name of someone you might meet. I want it to sound like a person's name, not a screen name.