1. Published on Amazon? If you have a book, e-book, or audiobook available on Amazon.com, we'll promote it on WritingForums.org for free. Simply add your book to our Member Publications section. Add your book here or read the full announcement.
    Dismiss Notice
  1. Lotgrinder

Lotgrinder Member

What's the best way to go about a good pen name?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Lotgrinder, Apr 2, 2013.

I've always posted on forums as Lotgrinder.

You can't use that as a pen name though, right?

I was thinking of going with L.G. Blazo.

L.G= Lotgrinder

Blazo= The old name tag that was left on my condo's buzzer for a month when I moved in.

I want to use a pen name because there's no way in hell I'd ever want my family or friends to know about some of the stuff I am trying to write.

2. ChaosReigns

ChaosReigns Be Still and Know Contributor

go with whatever makes more sense for you, i have the same reason for wanting a pen name, i dont want friends and family knowing what i write...

ive always had a name to use, Lupo Xenon, the first is Esperanto for Wolf, thats a nickname of mine and i thought that Xenon made a nice flow, despite being a chemical element

3. SwampDog

SwampDog Contributing Member

I'm intrigued as to why an author wouldn't want friends and family to know what they write. :eek:

But I can see the benefit of a pseudonym to get near the middle of the alphabet on a bookshelf, or to make an alliterative name or have syllabic rhythm:

Jo na than Kell er man
    Clive Cussler
    Frederick Forsyth
    Bill Bryson
    Daniel Defoe

4. ChaosReigns

for me, i write horror, which, to my family and friends, seems like the last thing i would write, i want to keep it that way, but still get things out there, also, because i can write in more than one genre, if i do write in another genre and use my own name, it seems like i am still writing.

also, being someone who has a name that sounds like 3 first names, it gets irritating trying to explain it to people, thus, taking out any need to question the name, i can get on with the writing

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

pretty much anything is ok as long as it doesn't lead anyone who knows/knew you to guess it's you...

should be something you're comfortable with, not anything we like...

6. ChaosReigns

exactly, itll be something i know no one that i know, will know, except from the person i trust to read through it

7. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

I'd avoid something like Lupo Xenon. It's too obviously a pen name, and people would go "Oh, come on!"

I'd also definitely avoid something deliberately offensive or provocative, like "Adolf Hitler Smith" or something like that.

Just pick a normal name, something easy to spell and remember, and preferably something that does not deliberately hide your gender (like just using initials instead of a full first name).

8. ChaosReigns

fair point dude, should really reconsider the name...

9. CatnipCupid

CatnipCupid Member

I have two I will use: One is for children's and YA. The other, for adult readers. I like how they sound.

10. madhoca

madhoca Contributing Member Contributor

I always use a surname that starts with "A", and something short and easy to remember rather than overly artistic. It's a big advantage online when writers are listed in alphabetical order, or on the publisher's website for readers to post reviews.

11. funkybassmannick

funkybassmannick Contributing Member

I agree with madhoca that it should be easy to remember. Also, if it can fit the genre to some degree, it might be even easier to remember. For example, I think "Garth Nix" is a perfect name for a YA fantasy writer. It's so good I thought it was a pen name, but it's actually his real name. It's easy to remember and fits the genre.

My name is soooo common; I definitely need a pen name of some kind. I've personally met two other people that share it, AND there's even a fairly successful writer with my name. So... yeah.

12. DeathandGrim

DeathandGrim Contributing Member

I always go under my name usually

I remember using the name Dennis more than once but I don't remember why I chose that name
    I figure using DeathandGrim or just Grim would be a bit morbid

If I'm trying to conceal my identity I probably would use the name R.A.N. (Random Ass Name)

13. iolair

iolair Active Member

I assumed that about "Karin Slaughter" - after all, the surname "Slaughter" is way too obvious for a crime writer. But I was wrong; it's her real name.

14. blenderpie

blenderpie Member

I just picked another name that I liked (not that it matters. I've only been published in a university publication under my real name). I didn't want it to sound crazy or have a lot of meaning. Just another normal person name of someone you might meet. I want it to sound like a person's name, not a screen name.