1. J.P.Clyde

J.P.Clyde Prince of Melancholy Contributor

Novel A Title Change

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by J.P.Clyde, Jul 3, 2011.

I have been working on a couple of not so top secret classified novels here and there. Which I have been sharing around with some folks. My not so top secret classified novels are okay to share to the world, but the top secret one has never been expressed or uttered in public eyes.

But, now, I was in a bit of a top secret meeting with some top secret writers. And were handing another our books, for top secret editing. But my partner, whom also is a bit of a mentor/friend thing, wouldn't read my novel. It was both based on her Christian values and that she is cruel for judging a book by its title.

She said she couldn't read it because the title seems like it would go against her Christian values.

Now I am not here for a religious debate. I accept and respect her decision and her beliefs.

What I am asking is, if I want a wider range of audience should I change the title of my top secret novel?

2. HBAdams

HBAdams New Member

You could always call it The Top Secret Classified Novel. Then everyone would be curious about reading it!

All kidding aside, is your editor friend your target audience? If not, I wouldn't worry about it. If she is, then you might want to think about tweaking the title a bit!

3. aimi_aiko

aimi_aiko New Member

Judging a book by its cover, as well as its title is a big "no-no" for me. I always tend to become either intrigued or disgusted with the book by simply reading the exerpt located either on the back of the book, or inside the cover. Others may look to reading the first few pages of the novel to become interested or not.

IMO, religious views shall not come in between yourself and a novel. I am not religious, but if I was, I would definitely read something (even if it looked like it was against my views) to find out about many different opinions and views through something else. I'm very interested in knowing what others have to say, rather it is regarding their religious views or just their average opinion about common issues. If I had been your "friend/mentor" I would've definitely given your novel a chance, ignoring my thoughts of the "title".

If you feel the need to tweak the title for this said reason, then do so; but if I were to give you some advice, I'd say keep your original title and either persuade your friend to give your novel some time, or find someone elsewhere to read it that will be more than willing to do so. I wouldn't put my entire dependibility on one friend to read my novel. You need a wider range of "top secret" people who can help you, as well as keep it a secret.

Hope this helped. Good luck and happy writing.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I could answer, but my response would be top secret. ;)

In all seriousness, I would stick with my instict on my own title. You cannopt please everyone, and no one knows your story like you do.

The time to not stick to your guns is when the submissions editor recommends (or insists upon) a title change. The publisher knows the market, and the title is the branding that will go on the package they will take to market on your behalf. It is in their best interests to make sure that branding will appeal to the target market in th ebest possible way.

5. wolfi

wolfi New Member

I'm going to dis agree with the above DO NOT try to presude this person if your their freind you will respect their wishes, just becuse you dont agree with it dose not mean its ok to try to change it

Also don't think all christains are like that we are not, now if the book is about christains like that then thats a defreint story but if its about sex and drugs then well obvuisly wrong persdon to ask ion ther first place

6. Anonym

Anonym New Member

I would imagine, or at least hope she's exceptional in her.. sensitivity. I know plenty of devout christians who read harry potter, watch war movies, supernatural movies, etc - things one might think would be against their values. Albiet, the people I'm speaking of are pretty open minded, within their faith. I suppose if you're trying to snare the sliver of your prospective audience that is big into christian mental hygeine or somethin you could reword your title. But I'm guessing they are not only a minority, but one that is hard to please.

I avoid targetting rather sensitive subgroups myself, lest I contrive and contort my work to appease them. Not to generalize but yeah.

7. J.P.Clyde

Half of the population where I live is Christian. So I'm only worried about the fact that I'm losing an audience over said values. I respect and accept their beliefs. At the same time though, I would like to make sure I make them comfortable.

So I suppose I'll put the top secret title, that cause my friend editor to not read:

Demon's don't like Chocolate

8. wolfi

wolfi New Member

Just so you know there are so many Christin branches that you will almost never find the same one twice, don't lump all christains in to that (or any other group for that mater)
    If you keep the title christains will read it some wont
    but so will some non christains

9. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributor Contributor

Never judge a book by the cover. Just saying.

10. aimi_aiko

aimi_aiko New Member

Based upon the title that you provided, I understand why your friend had expressed the fact that she cannot read it. I've noticed around where I live that Christians will, in fact, avoid anything that has anything to do with demonic practices, ideas, etc. I'm not saying your novel has anything to do with demonic practices, for I do not know what it is about. But by simply seeing the word "Demon" will only cause them to run, or simply avoid said subject.

But like I said in my previous post, select a wider range of reviewers that will be more than glad to help.

I hope your problem becomes resolved soon and your novel has been reviewed.

Good luck and happy writing.

11. J.P.Clyde

All right.

I understand a little more now.

12. thewordsmith

thewordsmith Contributor Contributor

OMG! (Disregarding the erroneous possessive comma) That is riotous! I LOVE that title. I have no idea what religious group your friend belongs to (I['m guessing he/she also does not read Dan Brown?) but you will find a wide range of religious fervor both within any particular group as well as among the many sects. Many groups still harken back to concepts similar to muslim strictures where women are something of a sub-species which should be seen and not heard. They grow up subservient to their fathers until the father selects someone he considers to be an appropriate spouse and, from there on, the woman is subservient to her spouse. At the other end of the spectrum there are ecumenical Christian groups which favor equality, acceptance and forgiveness over judgmentalism. In Judaism, it is considered blasphemous to even write the name of the Almighty because that paper it is written on might be dropped onto the ground, stepped on, rained/snowed on, and/or tattered and this would be tantamount to doing likewise to the entity whose name is written on that page.

Obviously, this scenario covers a wide range of religious adherance. You cannot spend all of your time worrying about whether or not everything you write is going to offend someone. In your writing, you have to be true to yourself and your own instincts. After all, Salman Rushdie literally put his life on the line for his belief in his writing. Trust yourself.

13. J.P.Clyde

The comma was a typo. I was just writing it instead of copying and paste. Its Demons Don't Like Chocolate.

14. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Just because she doesn't like the title doesn't mean you should change it. Judging a book by its title is stupid, and most people judge by the excerpt in the back or inside the cover.

15. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Most people do take their first impression from the title. It's meaningless to say they shouldn't or that it's silly. The fact is, before they pull the book out to open to the first chapter or to read the blurb on the back cover, the title will have caught their eye.

The title is the branding of the product, especially id the author's name is not yet recognized. It may take more than that to make the sale, but a weak title can certainly lose sales.

16. teacherayala

teacherayala New Member

Don't change your title. Trust me. If she's taking issue with the title, then she'll find something else to take issue with in the book itself. In which case she probably wouldn't be the best of reviewers for you anyway. I am speaking as an English teacher who used to work in a Christian school. For some people, literature is always going to be controversial for them because they see the world itself as controversial. For others (dare I say "true" aficionados of literature), it's the controversy in which we see ourselves and the world around us in a truer light. We learn from both the light and the darkness of humanity. Certainly she is well within her rights to protect her own conscience in the way she sees fit; I'm just saying that you shouldn't necessarily cater to her particular religious beliefs. The title wouldn't turn off a fair degree of people, in my opinion, at least not those who are truly dedicated readers.