1. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Joni Mitchell hospitalized and in intensive care

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Wreybies, Apr 1, 2015.

The 71-year-old was rushed to hospital on Tuesday afternoon. It is not immediately clear what illness she has.

A statement released on her website said she "regained consciousness on the ambulance ride to an LA area hospital".

The Canadian-born artist is "currently in intensive care undergoing tests and is awake and in good spirits," it added.

Los Angeles fire officials said paramedics had answered a 911 call in Bel Air, where Mitchell lives, and had taken a patient whom they did not identify to hospital.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-32142332

A woman of profound genius. A writer of intimidating truth, honesty and uncompromising commitment and conviction to her words. One of the most influential people in music of the 20th century. Were I to have a diva to follow, it would be her. I hope she comes back from this ok. :(

2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

This is sad, the article says she suffers from Morgellon's Disease which is pretty much considered a psychosomatic thing. People itch like crazy and believe there are crawly things in their skin. They claim to have fibers coming out of their skin. Biopsies have shown the fibers are nothing more than threads from external, not internal sources.

If she's awake and alert, that's a good sign.

Wreybies likes this.
  3. Wreybies

I'm listening to her For the Roses album right now. If you listen to the whole thing all the way through, you realize that it's a story in chapters, a novel, a life, many lives. It's stunning.

4. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

I hope she pulls through. This is very sad. :(

5. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Sorry to hear this. She is a gifted artist. I hope she recovers.

Wreybies likes this.
  6. Wreybies

For the younger members in the forum who perhaps don't know her work, as aspiring writers and artists, I would beseech you to add her lyrics to your reading list, if perhaps not the music itself for not being your cuppa. Though, of course, to me, the music is inseparable from the lyrics. Her albums from the very late 60's and early 70's like Blue, For the Roses, Ladies of the Canyon, Court and Spark, The Hissing of Summer Lawns, were released at the very hight of her influence in the music scene and where she was given the greatest license to explore themes and writing that perhaps weren't so commercial, but were amazingly revealing and committed. Her genius leaves me humbled.

Mike Hill likes this.