1. Winged-Walls

Winged-Walls New Member

Do retellings count as fanfiction?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Winged-Walls, Jul 25, 2013.

Hi, I was wondering what the exact definition of fanfiction is? For instance, would the rewriting or retelling of classic tales be considered as such? How about sequels and prequels? Alternate universe retellings?
    I'm asking because I'm currently working on a short-story retelling (which I may or may not expand) of Peter Pan where genders are swapped. I don't mean to get it published, but I was wondering regardless if a) it is considered fanfiction from a legal and/or litterary perspective, and b) which part of the forum I should post it in when it is done. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

2. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I'm not sure about the legality involved (I'm not a lawyer), but I think this kind of thing doesn't really qualify as fanfiction. If retellings were fanfiction, then all the film versions of Dracula, Frankenstein, Sherlock Holmes, James Bond, Hercules, etc. etc. etc. would be fanfictions. John Gardner's novel Grendel (the Beowulf story retold from the monster's point of view) would be fanfiction. John Steinbeck's The Acts of King Arthur and his Noble Knights would be fanfiction.

I think fanfiction is telling new stories about characters and a world that someone else created and made famous. Retelling classic stories is simply retelling, not fanfiction, because the stories aren't new.

3. Uberwatch

Uberwatch Active Member

If it's made by a third-party that identifies him/herself as a fan, I would say fanfiction regardless of "Re-telling".