Whats the inspiration to write : fame, fortune, self fulfillment ?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Arslan786, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Clearly you've never visited Lemur Society. :p

Lemex, minstrel and Fullmetal Xeno like this.
  2. DeadMoon

DeadMoon The light side of the dark side Contributor

To be anti social, to examine in words the demons in my head i writing, to connect with another person who finds joy and happiness or even just a distraction a common story.

3. Lyrical

Lyrical Frumious Bandersnatch

Or some of us do not need books or groupies :bigwink:

Welcome Ursla!

For me, it's a little mixed. Like others have suggested, most of my motivation comes from self-fulfillment, but as an artist there is something deep inside that longs to be recognized and validated for my art. It's hard though. I try not to think too much about the fame and fortune aspect, I don't want that to be my motivation, but it's hard when enthusiastic, well-meaning loved ones (particularly my husband and sister) try to encourage me by citing very popular authors as role-models. Of course I'd love it if my works, which I cherish, were valued by the public as well, but I can't let that get into my mind too much or it starts to affect my writing.

4. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    To keep what little sanity there is left. Sure staring off into the void is fun, but you will definitely will feel awful once it stares back. (Longest staring contest with the void a full week. Not recommended to past 1 full day, cause it only goes down hill from there.)
    That and it is far easier to create a story than drawing. A picture is worth a thousand words, so what are these words? :p

5. Sack-a-Doo!

Sack-a-Doo! Contributor Contributor

I've never really been clear on this.

Part of me wants to tell stories that others will have fun reading.

Part of me wants to be rich beyond the dreams of Avarice.

And then there's the part of me that gets depressed when I'm away from writing for too long and the only way out is to start writing again. (sigh)

6. Wild Knight

Wild Knight Senior Member

This will sound vain of me, and I know that it is probably strongly unlikely to actually happen in real life, but I'd be lying if I said that I didn't want the fame and fortune that comes with being the author of a beloved story.

That said, at the end of the day, I write it for a form of self-fulfillment, and I'd be perfectly okay with it if I don't hit it big. I'd be okay, what I really want is probably not even fame, but for there to be some sort of change to my current life, even if it's just a little off-setting ripple.

7. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

I do it to create the illusion that I'm the kind of guy that people might want to listen to.

And that thing about not leaving the house, too.

Cave Troll likes this.