What's the Point of Fan Fiction?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by grnidone, Apr 14, 2009.

1. SisterShirk

SisterShirk New Member

Personally, I enjoy to write with fan fiction because as an unexperienced writer it is helpful for me to work on really getting into the character's heads. Fan fiction gives writers the chance to work with characters who have predisposed dispositions and to really get inside their thoughts and the meanings behind their actions. For me, when I write something new, I find that no matter how hard I try, my characters get lost in the setting or the action before them. Fan fiction is a way for me to drill myself beyond that point of losing them to the background noise.

:)

2. elfen

elfen New Member

I like writing fanfiction. Sometimes. I've always written mine around more music based ideas, as there is usually a LOT more room to expand and give the characters backstories and lives of their own, without having to pay too much attention to the reality.

I don't really like fanfiction that isn't well plotted. I mean, you could take a character out of ANY book, and it would be useless if you didn't or weren't able to write well. However, I do find it intruguing sometimes when a character has his motivations turned around, so he/she's a complete 180 of their real character (for example, Harry Potter is worse than Voldemort....or Edward is really evil)

I also like being able to see how people view these characters. Do they try and stick to canon, or do they want to go completely out of it, and why? It's the motivation more than the result that interests me. And yes, I do write fanfiction, I have done since around 2005/06.

3. SayWhatNow?

SayWhatNow? New Member

I tried writing fanfiction and found it immensely boring because you have iron shackles made up other things called "Screenwriters".

This species is notable for its ability to restrain good writing.

The only known way to survive its attack is to think of an idea yourself

4. SarahBrightmanfan

SarahBrightmanfan New Member

I only ever write fanfic if something doesn't end the way I want it to. For example, when in Eastenders they dragged on that storyline with Danielle and Ronnie, but in the end they just killed Danielle of anyway. It annoyed me so much I had to write an alternate ending to get it out of my system lol.

5. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I think it's all about the what if factor.

"What if they had done... instead?"

6. mistressoftheflies

mistressoftheflies New Member

Fanfiction for me is like a processed meal. It doesn't require much effort to create as all the elements are already there and it's instant gratification. A story of my own takes longer, on the other hand, but gives me more satisfaction. :]

I enjoy both!

7. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

To me, at least, that's the crux of fiction writing in general, not specifically fanfic.

8. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I find this to be most true.

Just the other day, in one of the other threads, I found myself (yet again) at the defensive end of the, "Why science fiction? Can't find what you want here with us in the real life?" question.

When it comes to my writing, the answer is no. I don't.

I need more what for my if.

9. UnknownBearing

UnknownBearing New Member

You don't think this is how it should have been?

10. HeinleinFan

HeinleinFan Banned

There seem to be about five reasons to write fanfic. Of course, I'm a bit of an outsider to that particular genre, so I'm bound to miss a few.

First, fanfic lets avid fans further explore the world they've enjoyed reading. A novel can be very long indeed, but even the longest book has to leave out some of the details. Many fans want to fill in those details.

Second, fanfic is a sort of soft-and-gentle way to ease into writing. For one thing, there's no pressure - you can't sell what you write, so you don't have to ever worry about having to send it off to a publisher.

Third, fanfic generally involves an attempt at characterisation. You can't know how the characters would act for certain, but you can speculate - and you can practice until you get into the character's head. You know you've succeeded when a friend reads your fanfic and says, "Yeah, I agree - the character would definitely do that / act that way / say what he says."

Four, fanfic lets you write something you're really excited about. Instead of being nervous about the characters and setting you've created, you can be anxious to write more about a set of characters you've followed for however many books or episodes or chapters you've been reading about their adventures.

Fifth and last, fanfic gives you writing experience. The more words you write, the better you will become, and if the general rule is that 1,000,000 words make an "experienced" writer and 10,000 hours make the master, every bit helps.

11. sprackles

sprackles New Member

I enjoy writing fanfic, in fact i write fanfic for the bbc series 'Robin hood' for the people of the RH2006 forum. thats how i got hooked on writing so i still like to write it. :D