1. MarlzBob

MarlzBob New Member

Band Fics?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by MarlzBob, Jul 22, 2009.

I'm not sure if this question should go here, however, I was wondering, would you categorise fiction featuring real bands under Fan Fiction?

Thanks.

2. Seppuku

Seppuku New Member

If it biographical story, then I'd say no, though it's something you'd need to ask the band about. If I were to tell the life-story of James Hetfield then I doubt it'd count as 'fan fiction'.

If it's a story that features a band - for example if I made character who followed every Metallica gig, I'd say the gigs would have to be real (which of course requires some research) but the story isn't, then it wouldn't be fan fiction either.

If you had a totally made up story about Metallica or another band that never actually happened then I am unsure as to what you'd call it, however, I doubt you could get it published because of 'misrepresentation', because the story would essentially not be true but could be read to be true and I am sure bands wouldn't want lies and rumours spread about them...though it depends on the band and the story I suppose.

Fan fiction from what I understand tends to just involve fictional characters or fictional worlds made by other people.

But there's no harm in using a band's story or life as a starting or reference point to invent your own. I think some films have done that - though of course there is the mock-u-mentary of Spinal Tap though that's stepping over into parody, but it bases itself quite cleverly on the bands around that time. Sum 41 did a mini mock-u-mentary on 'Pain for Pleasure' on an 'extras' DVD, a made up band, which was quite funny but it based itself loosely on Judas Priest.

3. MarlzBob

MarlzBob New Member

Well, we in bandom call it Fan Fiction because it's fiction about the bands...

For example I have one story featuring Simple Plan, where the frontman is a vampire...

Not cliche by the way. But, yes it isn't Fan Fiction strictly speaking. I guess. Thanks for your response. It's definitely not Biographical lol.

4. OneMoreNameless

OneMoreNameless New Member

Bravely adventuring beyond the fourth wall.
    You are (presumably) a fan, and you are writing fiction about that which you are a fan of, ergo the term should still apply.

5. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Yeah, that would be fan fiction.

But don't forget, you have to post two constructive reviews of other people's works before you post a piece of your own.

6. MarlzBob

MarlzBob New Member

I know, I wasn't planning on posting my Band Fics here at any rate...I was just curious as to how people would categorise them.

7. Kirvee

Kirvee New Member

My question is: WHY would you write fan fiction based on REAL people? That has eluded me for the longest time. I mean...what if the people actually go and read your story? They'd be pretty creeped out, don't you think? >__>

8. MarlzBob

MarlzBob New Member

Why? Because I enjoy it. And sure, maybe they would read it and think it was weird...but it's just fiction andin a way it's a form of flattery I guess.

I personally enjoy writing it. For some people it's a way of fantasising about being with the guy from a band or whatever. For me, it's about characterisation of a person.

I don't think it's creepy. But that's just my personal opinion.

I don't like to write about books or movies. Does nothing for me. Writing about real people is easier.

EDIT:

I mean it's not like FanFic hasn't been done corporately. In a way when The Simpson's features bands and other famous people...that's FanFic of a sort.