What's the Worst Comment You Got?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Lmc71775, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Sabreur

Sabreur Contributor Contributor

At the combination pizza hut and taco bell
    There is a certain other forum I have visited in the past. It touts itself as a place for serious poets to get serious reviews. What it actually is was a place for the owners to stroke their over-inflated egos by demolishing the "noobs" with reviews that often amounted to literally these words:

I find that when they want to, they can give genuinely helpful, harsh (which is not a bad thing in and of itself) criticism. Unfortunately, the site mods and regulars seem to delight in being bastards to everyone who isn't them. I'm not complaining about harsh criticism, when it has a purpose. But being needlessly harsh and acting as if someone's writing somehow wounds and insults you simply because you view it as bad is unacceptable.

Though, the worst comments I get are usually those gushing with praise. I'd rather have a harsh, yet fair, critique than one that is full of blatant, baseless praise.

Bit of a catch-22, I suppose ;)

2. Lmc71775

Lmc71775 Active Member

This is another problem I have too. I get "I love it" or "Great Job" and that's it. Sometimes I wonder if they even read my post.

3. Sabreur

Sabreur Contributor Contributor

At the combination pizza hut and taco bell
    I suspect they do. But rather than a "proper" reading, they give it a cursory glance and then spout off meaningless platitudes in the hope that you will do the same for their works, thereby aiding their floundering self-esteem...

...I'm really a positive guy once you get to know me ;)

4. Nervous1st

Nervous1st New Member

Bad valentine – You know when they say you should be strengthened by your trials and not hardened? I’ve calcified.

I should mention, I do take reviews of my writing seriously and I appreciate people’s comments. I shouldn’t say that I don’t care, because I do. That comment was more in relation to everyday life rather than writing. I should stick to the topic.

Also, as far as I know, I am not rude when I review others work because I don’t think that achieves anything.

5. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

Mine isn't so much ignored/passed over, but the comments that bothered me the most when I was in college were the "great job, loved it" type. Seriously? I didn't take creative writing classes to have people tell me that...if all I wanted was a pat on the back, I would just ask my mom to read it. :rolleyes:

6. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

Yeah I hate that people only say "Good Job" and "I loved it" While I am happy that someone enjoyed it but I sometimes wonder if they even read it at all. Especially on a forum I go to I post my writing from time to time and now I am wondering if they just type it without glancing at it.

Tell me why you loved it! Why you thought it was great despite that now obvious mistakes and wonder how it managed to stay. Also I wished people would tell me what they didn't like about it. Anything but the crappy "I loved it!" or "It was Great!!"

Again I am happy that they enjoyed it but... it would be more helpful as to know why atleast.

Though I have been known to do the same sometimes. Not anymore though, I try and atleast give a reason and point out things that I think could be improved.

7. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Actually I don't mind its great or I love it, sometimes I know I just love something and I don't know why.

Some of my comments have been based on the fact they shouldn't like first person present tense but they like this lol And thats all I have had by way of comment from what I can gather they are annoyed with themselves for liking it against their prejudices.

My favourite two comments have been, I don't normally read fantasy but I would read more of this. One wasn't very specific on why but ultimately I am writing for people to enjoy it and not sit there analysing it.

8. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    Whenever I get mean comments about my work, I just either fish out the helpful stuff, or ignore them. Harsh reviewers usually do nothing but defend their right to rudeness, purely because they read your work. Otherwise, I just dont let it get me down; besides, the ability to slate somones work doesnt make them any more of a good writer themselves, so I never feel inadequate.

As for mean comments on this site? Nobody worth my attention has ever offended me, and even if they did, the mods here are always helpful. At the same time, I wont sit here and pretend Im nice as pie whilst everyone else around me is nasty behind one anothers back; I give as good as I get, and I expect whatever consequences come to me. What I dont like is people who do nothing but bitch and moan about others, whilst only having good things to say about themselves; those kinds will always remain "confused" about peoples responses to them. Tough, Is what I say to that. ;)