1. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

What's this called?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Mckk, Feb 1, 2015.

What's this called? That open balcony bit on the first floor:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ee/Padova_-_Loggia_Amulea.jpg

I keep thinking roofed balcony but there's surely an actual term for this!? I'm not convinced it's loggia, considering google images in general bring me pictures of an actual functional room inside the building with an open side, which isn't what I'm after. Gallery seems the closest but isn't that primarily indoors?

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

A veranda or open gallery... maybe? :)

3. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

Portico?

4. stevesh

stevesh Banned Contributor

Catwalk?

5. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I did an image search, and while some images show a very modernly appointed area complete with furnishings and the like, most of the images show various takes on the same idea as the one you presented in your OP. I think the permanent furnishing of such areas is a modern twist. Loggia seems like the best fit to me at this point.

6. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

I could be way off the mark here.... is that not a form of cloister?

jannert likes this.
  7. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

8. Mckk

Veranda is always on the ground floor, whereas a portico is an extended roof over the entrance, usually supported by columns or a small colonnade. I googled catwalk and the images don't look like what I have in mind. Cloister, according to the links, as well as google images, seem also to be generally on the ground floor? Cloisters, according to images, seem to also usually overlook a sorta enclosed courtyard.

Perhaps loggia really is the best one then?

Actually, another word I'm at a loss for. The raised barrier/wall in a loggia and/or balcony... What do you call that?

Here's what I'm trying to describe - does my description describe what I'm trying to get at? Should I keep what I have now, or instead go with loggia?

The temple came into view, a hexagonal, six-storey structure made of smooth, honeyed stone. Balconies enclosed in gold-painted lattices stretched across every level, sheltered under the slanting roof of the floor above. A marble figure of one of the five elemental goddesses draped in coloured silk looked out towards the city from each floor, aligning above the huge temple doors.
    If I go with loggia, I'd probably reword it like this:

Loggias with gold-painted lattices stretched across every level, sheltered under the slanting roof of the floor above...
    Or I could go with "walkway" as I've seen that a few times in the definitions of various architectural terms by now:

Walkways protected by gold-painted lattices stretched across every level, sheltered under the slanting roof of the floor above...
    I don't honestly care which word I use as long as it actually describes what I need it to lol. What do you think, kind forum peeps? :D

9. obsidian_cicatrix

Not necessarily so... I've found plenty of examples of second floor cloisters, and they don't have to be arranged around an inner space/quadrangle either.

To me, loggia has become the name some peeps pretentiously call their PVC conservatory add-ons.

Mckk likes this.
  10. Mckk

Re the conservatory - looool :D I'd never even heard of the term loggia till today after a google search.

So you'd still say "cloister" is the word I'm actually looking for then.

11. obsidian_cicatrix

Komposten and Mckk like this.
  12. stevesh

stevesh Banned Contributor

Widow's walk?

13. Triad Editing

Triad Editing New Member

I like balconies. As a reader I immediately get a mental picture of height and walkway sized spaces. Since the rest of the sentence describes multiple levels stretching up to the room, I think balconies fits the context of the description.

The word loggia would throw me off as a reader, since I really don't know what to picture when I hear that.

Mckk likes this.