What's your current novel/story about?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Orcalot, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Wharton16

Wharton16 New Member

Mine is about two young men in 16th century England who fall in love. I am giving them a tough time at the moment, poor things.

2. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

I'm working on a number of short stories, the most prominent being a tale of Lovecraftian vein. It is about a novelist in the early 20th Century who retreats to his family's summer house in northern Ireland, where a series of disturbances and occurrences based in Gaelic folklore and mythology ultimately drive the character to madness.

3. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

I was trying to finish off, edit / re-edit and then edit some more a sci fi adventure novel, but about a month or so ago I got a brain wave and wrote a novella, forty thousand words, about a wizard who acts as an advocate / barrister for other magical people and tries to work out where things went wrong. I published that about two or three weeks ago, and since then have been working on the sequel, Wizard At Law: The Glimering.

Its about someone, a caster of course, who's randomly turning people into glowing yellow figures, threatening the secret of magic, and my MC who's neck deep trying to work out who's doing it and at the same time advocating for those poor normals who are damned near fluorescent yellow as they get locked away for a make believe illness. Anything to stop the general public from noticing them and realising it must be magic.

Its going more slowly then the first, after nearly two weeks I'm only eight thousand words in, but I'm quite happy with it so far, especially as it lets me add new layers to my world build. When its done, maybe another month, not sure if I'll start on a third novella in the series, I need to think of more bizarre magical cases and oddball solutions first, not to mention more enchanted objects. So maybe I'll return to finishing off my sci fi.

Cheers.

4. Cordoma

Cordoma New Member

If you insist.

Part One
    John Jameson lays pipes for a living in the texas urban landscape, but the company he works for goes belly up and all the workers are laid off. Suddenly with a large amount of free time on his hands, Mr. Jameson decides to travel to Germany to see the berlin wall, where quite unexpectedly he is scouted by a modeling agent who recruits him into a prestigious modeling agency. In this world, John meets the beatiful, luscious Nakomi Shinoda, whom he has quite the dalliance with, ending up getting her pregnant. Her father, a powerful man in the world of japanese manufacturing, is furious, and refuses to recognise any male child. When Nakomi gives birth to fraternal twins, a boy and a girl, the boy returns to america to be raised by John Jameson in New York with their newfound wealth, while the girl returns to Japan with Miss Shinoda to be raised by the Japanese Family.

Part Two

Eric Jameson has just won a prestigious architecture award for his work on one of manhattan's most coveted projects, as well as having been promoted to partner in one of new york's top architecture firms. He has wealth, power, prestige, and he then recieves a letter from tokyo from someone in tokyo Japan, claiming that his mother is seriously ill and on her deathbed. Her dying wish is to see her son before she passes on. Confused and enraged and hurt, Eric confronts his father about having been told that his mother had died in childbirth. The two leave on bitter terms as Eric travels to japan and discovers that his mother is alive, though sick, and that he has a sister.

The grandfather, however, refuses to allow Eric to see his mother, so Eric Jameson uses his consider connections to rent a property nearby and visit the estate each day, asking to see his mother, and each day, he is turned down. In his off time, he gets to know his sister, and they often tour the neighboorhood. As thei relationship deepens, the grandfather becomes more and more agitated. Then, one day, their relationship ebcomes borderline incestous, causing the grandfather to forbid her to see him.

During the monsoon, she sneaks out of the house to see her brother, and driven into a frenzy by the craziness of the night, the two of them break taboo and comitt an unspeakable act. At the moment of climax, their mother passes away.

The final scene ends with Eric Jameson departing on a train, thinking about his sister, heading for the airport back to new york. We don't know his thoughts.

5. Robert from Ky

Robert from Ky New Member

Currently, I am finishing up my second novel. part of a s/f series. The story begins with the coming of age a a young man on earth who was placed here to start convincing humans to stop destroying their planet with the ongoing and constant taking of the planets resources. To them, it is only taking what they see as an abundance. They fail to see the destructive patterns that will begin to make the planet self destruct. The ones who found earth, hundreds of years before, in its reborn state after destruction from meteors striking the planet placed the inhabitants here in a process they called seeding. The new settlers awoke one day to their new world, but to them, it was just another day. Left alone for hundreds of years, their benefactors have returned to discover that the Eden they had found for their people was being destroyed by the people in the same manner in which they had previously destroyed their own home planet.

6. natsuki

natsuki Active Member

I haven't started writing mine yet because i'm still researching and plotting. I plan to start writing in the next NaNo, although I may start earlier, haven't decided yet. It's almost fully plotted, anyway, I'm just trying to research the historical period as well as I can.

It's set on Early Modern Florence and Venice. Annabella, my MC, discovers the body of her maid inside her estate. The body has clear signs of violence and struggle, and there are drawings on the woman's skin and a letter written for Annabella in her hands. In face of this threat, her father hastens her marriage with an older man, but on the eve of the ceremony Annabella runs away with a servant. Struggling to survive in a place she doesn't know, she hides from the murderer but continues receiving letters from him every time another woman is killed. As Annabella tries to solve this mystery, she'll discover that the answers are in her past, hidden in the secrets of her family.

7. Cordoma

Cordoma New Member

Natsuki. Seems like you have a good start. But you're right in that there are lots of possibilities that it could turn. When you discover more details about it and the way in which you want it to go, I'd love to hear about it.

8. Tallandboring

Tallandboring New Member

Project A, B, and C all can be summed up similarly - Post apocalyptic world, new races of people, each with their own abilities. Each project has their own plot, A is an action adventure, B is a more character revolving dramaish ordeal, C is more deep and emotional

Project D is about the high school experience as it is, no sugar coating it, or dramatizing it (I'm finishing my senior year and have been through are closely know someone who's experienced every aspect of highschool) I want to write it exactly how high school is, I think this would be interesting and fun to write.

9. epipsychidion

epipsychidion New Member

I'm writing a story from the perspective of a tree. It started as a challenge to myself at first but now that I've gotten a good 50K words in, it's still just as fascinating.

My other story I decided to scrap because I realized it was beyond the point of redemption. It was about a missionary in Africa who, after being mauled by a lion, ended up being assimilated into an animist tribe. It got to the point of being tedious and I might one day pick it up again, but it's remaining shelved for at least a year.

10. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

I've written a non-serious short story today.

Very randomly, about a frisky octogenarean millionaire who goes on a spa holiday.

11. Flashfire07

Flashfire07 Active Member

My current project is a romance/supernatural thriller with a sprinkling of action elements. It revolves around two men who have recently developed feelings for each other. One of them can see creatures known as Unreals (Interdimensional invaders from Over There... or was that refugees?) and is hunted by the Iron Guard out of a misguided desire to protect Over There from the Reals (denizens of our world). Along the way he attracts the attention of a young man who may not be entirely Real.

12. nowordswriter

nowordswriter New Member

I cant believe I havent written here yet...

My novel is based around 5 different people who meet each other and become friends. It dabbles a little into the supernatural via an inheritable ability to see mythical/otherwordly creatures. However, the supernatural, while helping the plot move along, is not at the very forefront of the story.

It begins with twin sisters separated at birth. One of the twins has inherited the Sight and has formed a supernatural connection with her sister (however the connection and the Sight are largely unrelated). The connection allows only one twin to be awake at any and all times. So while one twin is awake, the other, all the way across the world, would be asleep. While the other twin is asleep, they dream of their sister and see whatever she sees. Except only one twin actually remembers their dreams after they wake up and the other only has vague snippets of it.

When one of the twins, Sara, has a chance encounter with someone claiming to know her sister, Sara jumps at the chance to meet the girl of her dreams. She is the twin with the Sight and had been largely persecuted by her peers along with her Dad. She had been meaning to run away, she just didn't know where until now.

This sets off a chain reaction as old acquaintances meet once more and a family that was torn apart is slowly brought back together again. Sara ends up meeting not only her sister, but also her sister's bodyguard, as well as the cousin and uncle she never knew she had. And as Sara trudges along her journey, she uncovers the secrets behind her Sight and the mystery surrounding her family since the BC era.

Ummm, there's a lot more shenanigans involving a flighty Grandma and an old WW2 General and... maybe aliens and a robot. But really, the story focuses on Sara, her sister (nicknamed Sissy), her sister's bodyguard Alex, her uncle Raphael, and her cousin Eva, along with the crazy coincidences and accidents that lead to their meet up.

13. Sasori

Sasori New Member

A story for teens ages 13+ I guess. Haven't thought of many names for the characters, but it's an anime-based story focusing on the life story of Brown, a mysterious samurai who travels through worlds of dreams and nightmares, fighting demons and fallen angels on his journey to save a young girl from possession. Included in it is a nice amount of fantasy action and a satisfying amount of adventure and thrills, and of course, romance!!!

14. Archangel66

Archangel66 New Member

mine is a semi-present semi future horror/romance/action novel.my main character Azaezal Morningstar is a rogue assassin that deserted his clan or "creed" because he was tired of being a killer and taking the lives of people he had no knowledge of. By deserting his clan he was named a Rogue Deathdealer and proclaimed a threat to the foundations of society and has been hunted by his clan brothers for the past 4 years while on the run.While he is in the city of Eden (possible plot twist there) a massive metropolis built by humans,he meets a woman named Lilith and is startled when she does NOT try to take his head off..... (Im thinking of putting an Albert Wesker-ish character as a sub-antagonist..) she,lilith finds him interesting and slowly finds herself falling in love with him.(same for Azaezal) sometime in the first book he learns that his entire society or clan has a plan to end the known world.