1. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

Bad Driving

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ValianceInEnd, Jun 13, 2008.

Gawd! I just experienced one of the most infuriating things ever while driving! So I'm driving up to 2 cars stopped at a red light who are in the middle lane and I'm in the left. It turns green before I get there and the first goes, but the second car changes to the left lane. Since this is a three-lane street, they still needed to go over one lane to turn left, and they knew it. Instead they put on their blinker and pull into the middle of the intersection and stop. Thankfully I was paying attention and stop in time. I honk at them, but instead of relinquishing and only going 100 feet to the next light to make a u-turn they continue to wait. I honk again and they don't do anything. Since this is rush hour, there are about 30 cars backed up behind me. Ridiculous! Finally the light turns yellow and they turn. I had to jet out of the middle of the intersection since I was right behind them. I definitely stuck my "special" finger out the window as I went by. Complete A-hole. A Grade A jerk-off! Why are people so selfish!!!!!! :mad:

2. SnipSnap

SnipSnap Active Member

Hmm ... I hope you don't live in Illinois, because I definately did that today. :)

It's pretty bad when you see a thread entitled "bad driving" and you automatically think "Who's talking about me?"

I try to stay off the road as much as possible though. I can handle just about anything, except driving.

3. ChimmyBear

ChimmyBear Writing for the love of it. Contributor

Oh God...don't even get me started...I can't stand inconsiderate drivers...That is one of those things that gets under my skin. GRRRRR!!!!

4. ValianceInEnd

Haha, don't feel bad. I live a long way from Illinois. If so, I would be the angry teenager driving a Ford Bronco. :p

And thank you for collaborating with me Chimmy. I think it gets to all of us.

5. Mousie

Mousie New Member

I don't drive, so I don't really notice things like that when I'm in the car. Sure does sound annoying, though.

I don't know if this counts, but when I was in seventh grade, I was gonna cross the street. I was in the crosswalk in front of my school, even though the street was pretty much empty. This guy turned the corner just as I started to walk, and he was really far away so I figured I'd be on the other side of the street by the time he passed, or that he'd at least be able to slow down when he saw me if he came to close. But, this guy just zooms right up to the crosswalk and skids to a stop, nearly running me over! I'm, what?, thirteen, so I run passed him and onto the sidewalk, all freaked out. So, what's this guy do? First, he rolls down the window and calls me a "little shxt", then starts yelling at me to tell him my name and my parent's phone number and to "fxcking pay attention". I just kinda ran off without saying anything, but after I got over the freaked-outness, it just pissed me off. The guy was on his cellphone for god's sake!

Maybe I'm just confused, but aren't you supposed to slow down a little in a school zone, especially if there's a kid crossing the street? Or is that only during school hours? I don't know, but it still bugs me when I think about it.

Oh, and now that I've posted here, this thread's probably gonna die. Sorry.

6. SnipSnap

SnipSnap Active Member

I read stories of bad drivers and I think ... that's gonna be me one day. But I never drive whilst on my cell phone. I've got that going for me.

7. Mousie

Mousie New Member

Ha ha, don't worry, I'm probably gonna be a terrible driver!

Wouldn't it be weird if, like, ten years from now we somehow crash into each other?

./cue Twilight Zone music

8. SnipSnap

SnipSnap Active Member

That would be humorous.

Unfortunately, I shan't know it is you. Mainly becuase I know not what your face looks like to mine eyes.

I have an idea. How about when you get in a wreck with someone, tell them "I like sardines in my lasagna." And if they reply with "I like you in my lasagna." then you know it's me. :D

I think it's foolproof. :cool:

9. Mousie

Mousie New Member

Genious! :D

I'm on my profile. I haven't changed a bit since I was 12, so I'll probably still look the same when I'm, like, 30 :p

10. Flightlessfoofaraw

Flightlessfoofaraw New Member

I hate driving at rush hour for precisely this reason :D Nobody is prepared to co-operate or do anybody else a favour, however slight the inconvenience to them. It's a depressing commentary on the human condition :p

11. LibbyAnn

LibbyAnn New Member

Rush hour traffic really gets to me. And it's HORRIBLE where I live. I used to have an hour commute each direction...now I work at home :D suits me much better!

My big driving pet peeve is people that go under the speed limit in the left lane. At the very least, drive the speed limit! But don't go under, please. It's an unwritten rule of courtesy!

12. Flightlessfoofaraw

Flightlessfoofaraw New Member

I have a story about that. I was once driving to Liverpool (I'm from the UK) at a relatively quiet time, and came across a solitary gentleman in an SUV. He was sitting in the right hand lane (the equivalent of the left hand lane for you - i.e. the fastest one) doing just under the speed limit, on an otherwise empty 3-lane highway. Obviously, i was a little puzzled by this.

I was in the innermost, left-hand lane (the slowest). Not wanting to undertake him (that's illegal here) I pulled out into the outermost lane; he moved in to the middle lane; i went past him; then I pulled over into the "slow" lane. To my shock, in my rear view mirror, i saw him pull out again into the fast lane :D

Some people are a law unto themselves on the roads.

13. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

I never noticed how crappy other drivers are until I passed myself...

I'm always being cut up, having cars pull out on me and all sorts...

14. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    Best solution ever, MONSTER TRUCK.
    If anyone annoys you drive over them. If a pedestrian gets in your way, drive over them as well. As long as they duck they'll be fine.
    Also if you have to pass anyone it is very simple to do so.
    So I hope I'm getting a Monster Truck for my next birthday.
    And yes I hate bad drivers to. Thats why I don't drive in cities that often, I would make some mistakes from lack of city experience and get annoyed at myself.

15. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I know I'm always singing the same tune, but come to Puerto Rico, where I live, if you want to see some REALLY bad driving. It will shave years off of your life.

No rules!

Do what you want!

Left-hand turn from the right-hand lane? ABSOLUTELY!

Is the shoulder a lane? You betch'a!

Miss your turn on the highway? Just put it in reverse!

Turn signals? What are those?

And last, but not least..... YOUR CELL-PHONE CONVERSATION IS WAY MORE IMPORTANT THAN WHAT IS HAPPENING ON THE ROAD!

p.s. In the year and a half I have lived here, I have seen, no lie, swear to god with my right hand in the air, NINE car fires on the side of the road. No idea what that is about. :eek::confused:

16. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

wreybies that sounds like China. Except I haven't seen the car fires.
    Its one very special reason I've told my fiance, there is no way I'm buying a car if I live in China.

17. Wreybies

Dude, I am 38 years old, and not prone to shedding tears.

In the first week I lived here I came home half a dozen times, in tears of panic and frustration at the driving.

I don't blame you for your choice not to drive in China one bit. :(

18. LibbyAnn

LibbyAnn New Member

I have to admit, I'm very guilty of talking on my cell phone while driving. :redface: It's either that or singing, off key, at the top of my lungs...which is quite possibly just as distracting as talking on my cell phone! ;)

19. ValianceInEnd

Haha, I like the sound of that solution! :D

And wow Wryebies, that sounds like it would turn a toddler's hair gray! :eek:

20. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

I can believe it. I've avoided the worst of the traffic in China, but just from the ordinary stuff I have seen, and pictures of the usual congestion and bad driving from other cities I'd be crying to, or beating someone to within an inch of their lives.
    Even taxi's can be a pain. Trying to hit a non-existent break has become a common part of my routine while riding in a taxi.
    How long did it take for you to get 'use' to the traffic?

21. Wreybies

Eight.... Nine months-ish. I still find myself getting road rage at times when I see people doing crap that works my nerves.

Example: People in Puerto Rico will pull over, get out of their cars, sit on their car hoods, and spectate bad accidents on the highway (autopista.)

There should be a special place in Hell for that kind calouse, morbid insensitivity.

22. Klee

Klee New Member

I'm....guilty of a little road rage...not that I do crap like go over the speed limit or cutting up, but I do tend to insult people and honk and stuff...

This one time I was driving a friend to her house from college. Everything fine. We come to an intersection so I stop and wait for my turn. I had to turn right, so I put my light to turn and right when I'm turning this dude come from nowhere and just turns like there's a fire, almost crashed into me! I honked, let out a string of curses, honked again, beat my steering wheel, went super fast to catch up to the guy (who was also talking on the phone!) to pass him.

My friend was so scared, she was so like "What is WRONG with you?!?! You're so quiet in class!!!"

23. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The quiet ones are the ones to fear! ;)

24. Klee

Klee New Member

Definitely ;)

25. ValianceInEnd

Another incident of bad driving has plagued my life today! :mad:
    My dad and I were driving on the freeway (my dad was driving) and merging on. Some guy behind us kept speeding up and tried to get around us in the merge. The merge lane ran out and he almost swerved into us. My dad had to make a quick turn into the middle lane to avoid being side-swiped. But it doesn't end there! Later on we see this same guy literally swerve again into another lane. If the car in that lane had not done the same thing my dad did, they would have been completely smashed! Then this crazy car swerves across to get off on an off-ramp and swerves and nearly hits the wall. My dad called 911 and told them about the incident and were the car got off. It was crazy... and infuriating. My life is suddenly filled with complete idiot drivers! But probably not as bad has what Wreybies has to deal with... :p