1. LAHall

LAHall New Member

What's your favorite thing to read?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by LAHall, May 5, 2012.

What do you enjoy reading most? I wanted to say genre, but that's too broad. I'm a journalism guy, but if there's one thing I don't enjoy, it's pouring over boring hard-news stories. "4 injured in Kabul bomb raid," "Disgruntled mother seeks forgiveness." Headlines like this drive me crazy, but, there is one kind of journalism in particular I love reading: op-eds. Op-eds are great. They're long enough that you can get some meaty information in there, but short enough that it's bound to be saturated and hard-hitting (it will be the latter only if written well, obviously.)

So, anyways, yeah. I'm an op-ed guy, what do you like to read? Be as specific as you can.

2. Faust

Faust Active Member

I generally like to read short stories of nearly any genre. But I mostly read novels of a sci-fi/horror/fantasy nature.

But the nice about short stories is they are often available in anthologies, which allows me to try writing from different people. Always something to read. =]

3. KRHolbrook

KRHolbrook Member

I like urban fantasy--settings of the real world with a bit of supernatural spice added to it. I prefer novels over short stories; I just can't seem to get into them (though I will read them from time to time, and also enjoy flash fiction because of it's smaller word count.) Horror is another big thing I'll read. Anything that causes mass mayhem from a serial killer to an unknown virus.

4. BallerGamer

BallerGamer Active Member

Fantasy when it comes to novels, but the books I enjoy reading the most are the ones you learn from. My favorite book ever is ironically a book about helping you write a book (or more specifically with writing in general), which is "On Writing" by Sol Stein. I also enjoy self help books, but only when they're good; the majority of them are crap that feed you things you want to hear. There are some good ones out there that shed light on improving real issues of yourself. The reason why I enjoy them so much is actually because they offer so much insight on the decisions we make as humans and more specifically why we make them. It helps me as a writer because I understand humans a lot better through them.

On that note, I'm not a fan of psychology books.

5. ithestargazer

ithestargazer Active Member

I'm a novel girl, for sure. Lately I've been reading a lot of YA fantasy and sci-fi which I'm enjoying a lot. With these kinds of books I love a long series where I can really devour a story over a long period of time.

I like some non-fiction too, though usually in shorter form. I was swept up in the Titanic craze last month and read a few books on that :)

6. C.B Harrington

C.B Harrington New Member

Stories that pit "badass number 1" against "badass number 2" I like seeing faction champions fight. Mad Madmartigan vs General Kael, was certainly the beginning of this trend.

Achilles vs Hector. Araris Valerian vs Aldrick ex Gladius (Codex of Aleria - Jim Butcher, way better than the Dresden Files)

Even the occasional team up is cool! (Tango and Cash!)

Edit: Now that I think about it, this trend might have started with the short cut scene at the beginning of the original Ninja Gaiden.

7. BFGuru

BFGuru Active Member

I find myself sorely disappointed in books in the 2-300 page range. I prefer historic fiction, as it appeals to the inner anthropologist in me. However, if reading a novel I expect it to be long enough for me to feel justified in spending the 10-15 dollars on.

I bought Bossypants recently b/c anything else would have been too heavy. I was looking for distraction while attending my father in law in his last days. I read it in 3 days (taking many many breaks due to his care) and felt ripped off. I feel a book should take me a while to get through, or I'm left wanting more. Some 1000+ page books still leave me wanting more and I am happy when I discover they are part of a series.

8. Lazy

Lazy Banned

Short stories are the best. Most novels seem to be padded with useless material in order to reach some arbitrary word count (a practice that seems to be endorsed in a recent thread here). Of course I read novels but a story should ideally be able to be completely experienced in a single sitting. That's my view anyway.

9. YugiohPro01

YugiohPro01 New Member

Mostly Short Stories with a Surprise Ending. I like all Short Stories but most of those that shock you when you reach the end are the most interesting I believe seeing as how they complete twist the plot and your view on it. On the side note, I hate only factual literature seeing as how it does not provide any ideas or imagination just facts.

10. kamikazepilot42

kamikazepilot42 New Member

I read just about anything (literally), although I tend to stay away from popular fiction/mass market type of stuff, because I usually find myself disappointed by them as a reader and a writer. But when I walk into a bookstore I tend to be nearly paralyzed by the urge to read everything in there, and it's quite disappointing that even if I spent a lifetime trying I could never accomplish that.

With that said, I tend to gravitate toward classic and contemporary fiction, be it novels or short story collections. I also read some non-fiction. But, like I said, if there are words on a page, I'll read it.

11. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Whatever catches my eye - I love going to used bookstores and quite a lot of what I read is dated - right now I'm reading 2 Alfred Hitchcock short story collections , and a literary studies book called the Seven Basic Plots by Christopher Booker.

12. JessWrite

JessWrite Word Nerd & Proud! Contributor

I read a variety of books, from classics, historical, Sci-fi, children's novels, and stuff that just looks interesting! Really, anything I can get my hands on and for a good price at used bookstores. There are so many books I've bought but haven't read yet, probably the reason I haven't checked out a library book in a while.