1. KarlSmith

KarlSmith Member

What's your favourite science-fiction plot?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by KarlSmith, Jul 17, 2011.

What is you favourite science-fiction plot? - by this I mean do you enjoy books that revolve around time travel, parallel universes, insane wars in the future, destroying robots etc etc...

Also try and include a book for reference of you favourite plot...

I recently read 'World War Z' which was quite good, so I'm going to go with Apocalyptic as my favourite Sci-fi plot at the moment ^^

2. East

East Member

I enjoy stories where people emerge into future societies.

For example, 'The Unincorporated Man', where the main character is a billionaire dying from cancer, and has himself cryogenically frozen, secretly sealed away in a mountain, then reawakens several hundred years in the future.

3. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributing Member Contributor

It's a difficult question as sc-fi spans so many different stories. I mean how can you compare Star Wars to Jurassic Park? (not that I would place SW as sci-fi, but you get the idea.) But if I were to pick a few, I guess I'll go with:

1. Science gone wrong. Frankenstein is an obviouls example of this. A harmless experiment going completely out of control with devastating results.

2. Time travel. Although it's a movie, The Butterfly Effect is a great example. And of course, Back to the future. Both of them. :p

3. Having fun in space. Think Firefly, Farscape and so on. Oh, sure, Firefly is a western, but at least it's in a sci-fi setting. I think. :redface: Farscape is sci-fi, though.

4. KarlSmith

KarlSmith Member

Yeah you've got to have a bit of firefly thrown in for good measure ^^ - besides Firefly is a space western and that counts as Sci-fi

5. Daydream

Daydream Contributing Member Contributor

Apocalyptic stories are definitely my favourite! Loved Firefly aswell though :D

6. KarlSmith

KarlSmith Member

You have good taste - Firefly is awesome ^^

7. Daydream

Daydream Contributing Member Contributor

Ever heard of Falling Skies? Some new Sci-Fi show that started a few weeks ago. Heard it was really good!

8. KarlSmith

KarlSmith Member

I've just had a look at the synopsis on IMDb - it does sound pretty good, episode one starts in 2 days, I'll have to give it a watch