1. shards

shards New Member

whats your favourite season and why

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by shards, Apr 10, 2016.

Whats your favourite season or least favourite and your reason?

I particularly enjoy early to mid spring and mid autumn.
    living in a sub tropical part of Australia, the weather for the most part is hot and humid. Daytime temperatures average a nice 27 - 32 degrees celsius, with night time lows of 19 - 24 degrees celcius. At times reaching 100% humidity; but for the most part 70% or 80%.

After an intense blistering, body drenching, feet burning, summer; the weather subtly begins to change and you begin to feel that coolness on your skin early in the morning or late afternoon a reprieve from heat the days still provide, that cool place you seek out underneath the verandah actually starts to afford that protection you were seeking from those still burning rays. Then within a few weeks that daytime warmth you were trying to escape now becomes your shield and protector from those cool shadows that were sought only weeks before. But fortunately in such a climate as I am lucky to live, those cool changes are merely fleeting glimpses not lasting more than six to eight weeks and average about 17 degrees celcius to 22 degrees celcius. Just cold enough to have an outdoor firepit. Never too cold to enjoy the outdoors,( okay maybe a week is too cold and i have to get the heater out) skys so blue a clear... weekend nanny naps on the daybed on the verandah. My bananas grow, my mandarine and lemon trees start to produce fruit. These are the things i enjoy not too hot to become a puddle. Not too cold to become a popsicle.. just right

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  2. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Winter. My birthday's there, I don't like sweating and there's less mosquitoes. Bloody Australia! :supermad::supermad:

shards likes this.
  3. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I hate heat. Australia sounds like Hell (and not just because all the animals there want to kill me).

I'm a moderate temperatures kind of girl - fall especially, with the crisp air and the foliage and end of the goddamn summer heat. ((I know, it rarely gets that hot where I am - anything over thirty is considered a heat wave. But... cooler is BETTER! My ancestors came from the highlands, and we don't want to live in a swamp OR a desert!).

Phew. Probably I should move to England. Or back to BC.

NigeTheHat and shards like this.
  4. mrieder79

mrieder79 Probably not a ground squirrel Contributor

Summer. Definitely summer. That's when the rivers here in the southeast US are warm enough for scuba diving and I can go to the bottom and look for fossils and megalodon teeth. It's my other passion.

shards likes this.
  5. Oscar Leigh

Eh, the animals aren't that bad. As long as your in the city there's not that many of the dangerous ones. And the snakes and spider are usually killing people because of their own mistakes in pissing the animal off and making it feel threatened. Although some snakes can be a bit aggressive. Fortunately, the Inland Taipan, the most venomous, is also not very aggressive. (It's been described as shy. Which almost sounds cute.:D)
    The worst animals are the saltwater crocodiles. They kill people quite eagerly because they're very territorial and hungry. But that's mostly a Northern Territory thing, and there's plenty of warning about croc areas and guidance as to how to avoid the death scenarios. (The riskiest thing is swimming alone in a lake or river that connects to the sea, at night. Don't do that.)

6. Oscar Leigh

Megalodon teeth fuck yeah!! I used to want to do paleontology so that's really cool to me. Why does prehistory get all the super-cool big stuff?! :cry:

7. JD Anders

JD Anders Member

Just the fact that there's "not that many" in the cities as opposed to "none" is enough to terrify me of Australia.

That being said, you have a lovely country to watch nature documentaries about.

8. Oscar Leigh

Well, to clarify, the only dangerous ones I've seen in my area are red-backs, which aren't that bad, and there aren't many of those anyway. We have far more bush cockroaches than any scary native animals. (Bush cockroaches are essentially slightly larger, more hygenic version of the introduced European ones. They show up less the less you have plants around and get replaced by the european ones which are more human acclimatised and are more likely to be covered in germs from trash.)
    I love how this thread is turning into: "Oscar explains Australian animals." :D:D

JD Anders and shards like this.
  9. shards

shards New Member

Australia is quite diverse... i am more north if you head south the temperature can be quite cool Melbourne especially at the bottom. Its a little like english weather where you have light but the sun has no warmth to it over winter and even into the summer but then you get the scorcher heat waves 40 - 42 celcius for 2 days then pop back to 20 celcius. Regarding animals its definately about where you live i am in the suburbs of the Gold Coast and being warmer snakes are more active. Spiders are huge but like anything anywhere you dont worry about them. The diversity of climate, rain forests, deserts, beaches, there is something for everyone to enjoy.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  10. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I don't think I've ever been in heat higher than mid-thirties--maybe forty with humidex. And I couldn't stand it. So heat in the forties? No. No way.

You guys have some mountains, right?--I might be okay up in them. But rain forests, deserts, and beaches? Nope. Not my thing.

Nothing personal--if you like it there, that's excellent! But it wouldn't work for me, even without getting into the deadly animal issue.

11. Oscar Leigh

Okay, well the blue mountains are very nice. They've even got a bunch of hotels and bred and breakfasts and stuff. Unfortunately, because it's a nice place with nice places around, it's also expensive. You'd have to save up quite a bit.

12. Oscar Leigh

I totally understand about the cold weather. I only gave up on my plans to move to Sweden because I really like my local community. I have a great neighbourhood.

13. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

We have only two seasons here: Dry and Wet. It's summer here all year long by the standards of anyone living north of the Tropic of Cancer or south of the Tropic of Capricorn.

I like the dry season best. I have to mow the lawn slightly less often during the dry season.

shards and Oscar Leigh like this.
  14. NigeTheHat

NigeTheHat Contributor Contributor

Dear sweet God. There is no place for the word 'nice' in that sentence. 24 degrees celsius is the maximum that should be allowed in any civilised country.

So it probably won't surprise you to learn my favourite season is the British November. Clear blue skies and crisp early frosts - that's magic right there.

shards and BayView like this.
  15. Wreybies

Ha! :superlaugh: Poppet, it's been between 30º and 32º celsius all week here, and raining from 4:00 pm to twilight. You can hear the mosquitos pass by in regimented squadrons.

And it's only April, and it's technically the dry season just now. :ohno:

shards, Lifeline and Oscar Leigh like this.
  16. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Ideally, my favourite season now that I've moved to Scotland is usually the one just coming up.

Back in Michigan, though, it was definitely autumn. I loved both winter and summer (well the first 3 months of winter, but it got to be a drag after a while) and didn't even notice spring (which usually came and went in 5 minutes) ...but autumn? A long bright autumn, filled with late season wildflowers, a still-warm Great Lake on my doorstep, colourful leaves overhead, crunchy leaves underfoot, wild mushrooms to gather ...ah, heaven.

I love living in Scotland, but as for seasons, well ...there is the very dark one where you barely see the sun, and when you do it's low in the sky and blinds you, and there is the light-filled one when you can take photos outdoors at midnight without a flash—if you can see anything through the clouds of midges. Everything in between usually contains rain.

shards likes this.
  17. NigeTheHat

NigeTheHat Contributor Contributor

Cream puff, if more proof were needed that you're certifiably insane, living there would be it.

18. Wreybies

I'm a warm-weather model. :bigwink: I answer to the typical description of equatorial peoples. Short, olive-skinned, not hairy, lean. I was made for climes such as these.

[​IMG]

The years that I lived in Berlin, much as I loved it, the winters were torturous. Thank goodness Berliners aren't shy. Any nice summer day that allowed it, I was starkers with the rest of the Berliners at the local park, catching some sun. :)

123456789 likes this.
  19. HelloImRex

HelloImRex Senior Member

I usually like season two. Season one of a show has a good plot and concept but most of the time hasn't reached its full potential as far as character acting and revealing of the universe. By season three it seems like often times a show is out of ideas. Season two is usually at least one of the three best seasons of any show and is the best sometimes. Therefore, if I was only allowed to watch the same numeric season of any show I'd have to pick season two.

daemon likes this.
  20. Guttersnipe

Guttersnipe Member

Winter. Snowboarding.

What, you wanted something deep and meaningful?

Oscar Leigh and shards like this.
  21. Aaron Smith

Aaron Smith Banned Contributor

Summer/late spring. I like to spend time outside, but usually not when it's cold.

shards likes this.
  22. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

My favorite is season 7 of Star Trek TNG or season 2 of Rick and Morty. Solid sci-fi on both fronts. Season 3 of Babylon 5 was also pretty good.

My least favorite was definitely season 2 of The Walking Dead, dubbed "argument farm." They lost the show runner and the producer's solution was to keep everyone hanging out a Hershal's farm for the whole fucking year. Season 6 of DS9 was a dense forest the light of creativity was unable to penetrate. It gets second worst.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  23. plothog

plothog Contributor Contributor

In England, May to June. Nice comfortable 12º to 20º sorts of temperature and not as rainy or humid as July and August.

shards likes this.
  24. shards

shards New Member

Lol brrrrr its a good thing we are all so diverse... 12 is just a tad too cool for me as a daytime temp

25. Dahaka

Dahaka New Member

I like them all for different reasons.

Except summer. I hate the heat; it's unberable both outside and in my apartment. And the mosquites are driving me nuts. And I'm scared of wasps. And I sweat all the time and have to take a shower like 5 times a day. I just can't function properly.

I hate summer.