What's YOUR personality?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Lea`Brooks, May 20, 2015.

1. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

LOL, ESFJ was a troll :\ I'd never reveal my real personality type as you can see this topic is as sensitive as one's belief in a higher being. Mine accurately expressed my career and it also accurately expressed some of my specific shortcomings in day to day life. Is it that remarkable the test guessed those things? It does ask you like 50 questions about yourself.

If you tell the test you hate being around people and they make you nervous, it better tell you you're an introvert

2. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

A phrase has come to mind as I read this thread back: nihi novi sub sole.

3. 123456789

What about Facebook?

4. Lemex

There it's practically the motto. So many ILoveScience reposts!

5. 123456789

I bet you Ginger started that group :D

Lemex likes this.
  6. GuardianWynn

GuardianWynn Contributor Contributor

LOL

I find myself like right in the middle here. Oh and I am a INFJ.

See I can't turn off my logical analytic brain(I have tried) but yet that doesn't stop be from enjoying something like this test.

Way I see it as long as we aren't actually trying to make life decisions based on it. Then what is the harm? I treat astrology in sort of the same light. I don't mind talking about but if someone tries to say I should or shouldn't make a serious life decision based on it. That would upset me.

Personally I think over analysis of this test misses the point. I don't think the researchers were trying to build a perfect all purpose life guide model. I think they were trying to say that personality is like language as there are pieces of it and it can be broken down to the roots to understand it better. Which I think it can be. Does this test perfect it? No. But I don't think personality understanding can be perfected.

I still find it fun and that is the point. When someone asks what the purpose is? I say the purpose is to be fun and light hearted and enjoyed. As long as it isn't hurting people what is wrong with that?

7. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Reading, yes, like this part I started the post off with: "Acknowledging first that the OP was clarified to suggest the M&B test was merely "fun" and not an actual measure of one's personality ..."

I'm sorry but it wasn't clear in your post that weren't buying the description. Once the thread was clarified, it was more apparent people weren't professing the validity of the M&B test. I was just showing posts where that wasn't clear.

Except @daemon and that discussion needs to be moved to the debate room, which I'll do after breakfast. :)

8. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

The Myers & Briggs Foundation website disagrees with you. They make it pretty plain that they feel this test should be used as a lifestyle guide.

http://www.myersbriggs.org/type-use-for-everyday-life/

GuardianWynn likes this.
  9. GuardianWynn

Then shame on them. Personally doesn't change my position though I can apply it as I wish too. lol.

Like if someone crafted a figurine they felt should be worshipped. If I won it I can use it as a paper weight if I want too. Doesn't matter if it is supposed to be something more. Does that make sense?

10. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

There's a Myers & Briggs Foundation? This is starting to smell a lot like Scientology.

Lemex likes this.
  11. Jack Asher

Well yes. Who do you think makes and distributes all the tests? You can even get certified as a test giver. As mentioned before, Briggs decided to go ahead and market her idea rather than back it up with any kind of science.

12. Lemex

Just watch, they'll be saying it originates from the planet Psychlo, 47,000,000 years ago next.

Making this reference made the many hours I spent, trying to sit through freaking Battlefield Earth worth it.

13. GuardianWynn

Darn. Now I am sad.

I mean didn't it start with two people trying to do science?

Not sure if it is worse that they lost there way or never had it to begin with.

14. 123456789

Since when has psychology ever been that scientific ??? :/

Ivana and Lance Schukies like this.
  15. GuardianWynn

Ugh. I study psychology and right now I almost wish there is an unlike button. :/

Jack Asher likes this.
  16. Lemex

Since before Nietzsche.

123456789 and Jack Asher like this.
  17. GingerCoffee

No, not even close. It started with people wanting to make money.

There is nothing even remotely resembling research or science on their web page. They collect cookies and sell "premium memberships".

The web page touts famous personalities in each category the way one touts famous people under the Sagittarius sign. Tell me how they decided what personality Andrew Jackson was? Do you think they asked a biographer or filled in the test themselves?

Ivana likes this.
  18. Jack Asher

I'm pretty sure they just sent President Jackson an email, asking if he'd like to take their test online.

GingerCoffee likes this.
  19. GingerCoffee

Psychology and sociology have had a slower scientific start than other fields like anthropology or even psychiatry. There's really bad science still today in the field, but nothing compared to the 60s and 70s when mothers were blamed for autistic and homosexual children.

You do have to sort through the chaff, which is a problem when there is so much pop-psychology like this test.

KaTrian and 123456789 like this.
  20. Jack Asher

Which is the whole point of our descention here. Fun you may find it to be, but it's like taking a giant leap backwards in our understanding of the human psyche. There are so many more important ways you can start to understand your own mind, and none of them can be quantified with an internet test.

GingerCoffee likes this.
  21. Lemex

I find it the same as saying 'Why not just leave people who take the con-artist, Anita Sarkeesian seriously alone!' or 'Why not just leave otherkin people alone, and let them believe they are wolves or rocks or blades of grass in human form - wah wah wah'. No. No I'm not.

Last edited: May 26, 2015
    GingerCoffee likes this.
  22. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributor Contributor

I guess I'm in the minority here thinking that people are allowed to believe and do whatever they want as long as it doesn't hurt themselves or others.

23. GingerCoffee

Yes, people are allowed to believe false things. Just as people are allowed to point out fallacious thinking.

The harm done is a whole different debate. Some false beliefs are benign, but others are malignant. Keeping this on topic, employers have been misled into thinking this test can identify the good and the bad potential employee. It's likely that well qualified employees were denied jobs based on something that has no more validity than consulting a horoscope.

24. Lemex

I don't know, when people believe con artists I tend to think they are harming themselves and others.

25. Kingtype

Kingtype Banned Contributor

How dare you!

I'm a proud member of the grass community and we don't take kindly to lawn haters like you!

hehehhehehe

Sorry

Lemex likes this.