Novel What's Your Writing Process?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by ACCERBYSS, May 26, 2008.

1. Daemon Wolf

Daemon Wolf Senior Member

The way I write is usually this:

I get my inspiration and let it mull over in my head a bit. Then I begin to write a guideline for my book (I find that I cannot write a long story without a guideline otherwise I just get to the point pretty quickly), after which I begin working on my story. Now the guideline (if you want to use that method) can be as detailed or undetailed as you want. There are parts of mine that are very detailed and other parts which are not. Generally as I write the guideline changes (Hell I printed my guideline and already have a dozen sticky-notes and extra tacked in papers with excess writing on it) more and more.

I hope this helps.

2. Samson Michael

Samson Michael Member

I get images of a situation in my head, often times a single image, that I feel compelled to write about. I don't outline anything, nor do I dwell on where the plot might go, honestly, this might make me a bad writer, but I tend to just wing it. I feel an outline holds me back. I like to feel the story playing out in front of me as much as it would for the characters within the story. For short stories this is fine, for novels, I'm still working on my first one, it's taken me almost four years and I still haven't finished it. It sounds like I'm disorganized, but I do actually generally have an end point, sometimes, such as with my novel, that end point begins become incompatible with the rest of the story. It's a rather strange process and it ends with a lot of failure and incomplete work, but it's the only way I seem to be able to write. Sometimes the stories just tell themselves too. On a couple of occasions, I've sat down with a virtually empty mind and emerge an hour or two later with a complete first draft.

3. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I'm beginning to learn that outlining might just be the thing I need for my writing process. It helps me clear up my usually chaotic headspace enough to focus on what's important for the story and the characters.

Sack-a-Doo! and Daemon Wolf like this.
  4. Jack13star

Jack13star Member

Generally, an idea will come to me and I will mull it over for a few days. Sometimes it will come to me as I am writing something else and I will start typing right away.
    **Find somewhere comfortable to work!!

I am a notebook addict, so I start there.
    I write down my basic plot and events in no real order.
    Then, I put them in order and expand on each one, inserting notes like,' intro character here'
    I outline my characters (This will most likely change as I go, as I get to know them better)
    I write my timeline and start writing as its coming to me, in no real order,Sometimes chapter 8 or 9 first, because I think of a great conflict or something and want to get it out while its hot.
    I carry that notebook everywhere with me. Working on it any chance I get.
    I finish the draft and edit it a few hundred times. (Ha... yeah.. sure feels like it)
    Then I get a few others to go over it for me, make the appropriate revisions and send it out again.

I would say that's it!

5. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Didn't want to start a thread for this, but I'm struggling to think where to put it.

Anyway, can I ask if there's anyone else who gets a real injection of inspiration and enthusiasm just by deciding to make themselves a cup of coffee? Not at any time, obviously, but when sat at the keyboard trying to write.

It's quite bizarre how strong an effect it has on me. I can be sat there staring at the three sentences I've managed to squeeze out over the last three hours, falling into despondency, and then I decide to make myself a cup of coffee and BOOM, I'm raring to go.

It makes very little difference in the long run, but the thought of having a cup of coffee while I write really spurs me on.

Is it just me?

6. dreamersky1212

dreamersky1212 Active Member

I am really a hodgepodge of both camps. I have an idea and immediately begin to write. I use the first 2-3 chapters to really figure out who my MC is, what their world is and where I want it to go. By the third chapter I have a pretty good idea of where the story is going to end. I don't plan it out chapter by chapter to reach this end, I just have a general idea of the ending and then simply write what I need to to get it there.

I usually begin each writing session with a general idea of what is going to happen, but it is usually not written down unless there are a lot of specific things I need to explain in that chapter. But even then I can not make myself outline more than the current chapter that I am working on. I feel like I can't. I don't know where the characters are going to go in the next chapter, they haven't told me yet.

I plan and integrate new ideas as the chapter progresses. Sometimes the situation will end up very different from my original plan. I don't really worry about it though. See, this is how I view it, they (my characters) are acting out their story in my head and I am more of the director sitting in the corner saying "yes....that works" or "no...that's horrible" while I frantically try to put their story into words. Maybe that makes me a little crazy, but it works for me.:rofl:

Daemon Wolf likes this.
  7. Jack13star

Jack13star Member

Not at all! I have to have something to grip or grab for when I'm pondering the wording of something. If I sit down without my coffee or tea I feel distracted, like something is missing from the process, I always write more when I wear my shoes. Weird? Yes, probably. But I feel more ready to go, like laziness isnt an option because Im not relaxed enough to take my shoes off.
    The more I type the crazier it sounds! :eek:

OurJud likes this.
  8. OurJud

I'm starting to realise that word-count is no guide whatsoever in terms of how much I write. How much I write is very much dictated by duration.

As enthusiastic as I am about writing, and no matter how caught up or excited I am by my story, I have a limit of about 3 hours. This means if I start a session by going over what I've already written, and begin editing and tidying up, this comes out of the time I'll spend writing.

I wish I could figure out what the problem was and overcome it, but after a good three hours I feel utterly drained and unable to continue, even after a great session when my fingers are itching to carry on.

If I could just resist going over what I've already written, this would increase how much I get done, but I find it practically impossible.

Anyone else suffer this?

peachalulu likes this.
  9. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

I don't get the three hour wall but yes, I find myself wasting too much time going over what I've already done instead of writing new stuff. I've trained myself out of it and I'm making much better progress as a result. I can't really give any tips though, you just have to stop!

OurJud likes this.
  10. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

I never count(ed ) my progress by word count in fact I didn't even know writers did that till I joined this site. Publishers yes, writers - I always thought they went by scenes and pages. That's how I work. I only use the Properties do-hicky when I'm entering a contest and want to make sure my word count is A-Okay. At night when I'm writing I try to get out a scene and as I'm going back over it I can manage about eight pages ( at the most - that's minimal going over ) or three at the least ( that's really going over it. ) I don't have a three hour wall that I hit but there is a moment when my brain feels so stuffed the sentences no longer come out coherent and I have to just go to sleep or unwind. Not that I want to stop writing.

When I was doing Nanowrite I knew I couldn't get caught up in the mess of fine tuning yesterday's work so what I did was label word docs with the days date and then after writing Nov 1 I would copy and paste the last paragraph into Nov 2 so that on Nov 2 I would carry on from that last paragraph. No looking back.
    Now I simply tell myself I have a time limit to tweak yesterday's work. I've heard of writer's that actually cover their screens to avoid editing.

OurJud likes this.
  11. OurJud

I've often considered opening a new file for each chapter, so that the temptation is removed. Only problem with that is having multiple files for the same story.

12. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

That's what I do. Nanowrite left me with over 30 files. But my usual process is to either chunk up the story in parts or chapters. I don't want a big massive doc to scroll through, so I usually call a folder by my novel's title and then open a fresh OpenOffice doc for every chapter. It's a lot of files but in some ways it's easier to keep track of. I can jump to certain chapters and then rename the file first draft when I'm done. I can also copy and paste the whole thing for a second draft.

OurJud likes this.
  13. OurJud

I'm very tempted to give this a try.

14. Gloves37

Gloves37 New Member

I think the writing process is a little different for everyone. Some people have to plan every little detail out and make a storyboard of each chapter before starting to write. Some people like to have a loose concept in their brain and see where their writing takes them. I tend to lean more toward the latter. I like to have an idea, jot a few notes down about plot ideas, and then start writing. This helps me really develop my characters and find their voices. After I've written for a while and kind of know where I'm going, then I like to really sit down and build a chapter-by-chapter outline of the story. That helps keep my writing a little more structured. Of course, it never ends up the way I initially write it down as I strike some ideas and add new ones as I go alone.

One thing I've stumbled upon recently that's really helped with my writing is Pixar's 22 Rules of Storytelling. I've always been a big fan of Pixar's movies and this can be a great recource if you ever get stuck.

Lifeline likes this.
  15. AniGa

AniGa Member

I have a very clear process when devising stories.
    It's a step-by-step process.
    1. The initial idea
    2. Pick a situation it fits in
    3. Pick rough personalities and general places (in a cultural sense) for that idea and situation
    4. Pick a point on the timeline it fits in (in case of Vasticia, also pick a point in that particular universe's timeline that fits, if applicable)
    5. Give the main characters realistic, proper personalities and a "life-before-the-story"
    6. Devise basic A to B plotline in bullet point form
    7. Deepen plotline, add side plots and side characters as needed and wanted
    8. Double-check if 1 through 7 are both valid and satisfactory
    9. Fix any errors or parts that came out wrong, deepening all main and side characters and all major and minor plotlines along the way
    10. Repeat steps 8 and 9 until satisfied
    Done. That's my process.
    That gives me a fully fleshed out plotline in bullet point form that has all strings of events in it.
    I also make "chapter summaries", short pieces of text that summarize a chapter, including notes on what its purposes in the story and in the overall "message" of the story are.
    And all needed major and minor sheets for characters, locales and so on get made along the way while going through this process.

That thus leaves me with several separate documents that I organize into a "Character Sheets" and a "Tools & Miscellaneous" folder inside a "[Story Name]" folder, which itself is in a "[Verse Name]" folder.

• Detailed Character Sheets
    • Detailed Locale Sheets
    • Bullet Point Form Timeline
    • Chapter Summaries
    • General Information (Culture, Technology, Magic...)

From then on it's nothing but simply transcribing it into a written story - but there is still one step in between: MANY writing exercises to truly get to know all the characters and places.
    These writing exercises are sometimes major, but most of the time completely insignificant everyday life scenes (Saturday shopping for the weekend, a casual day in school or at work and so on) - these are the best(!) exercises to truly get to know your characters and locales.

Then, in the very end and after I'm confident about the thing mentioned above, comes the actual writing process for the story.

Greets,
    AniGa

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  16. Deloctyte

Deloctyte Member

When I was younger I planned the entire plot of a novel in my head, down to the smallest detail before I began to write.

Two pages in, my head was already thinking of the sequels, the movie adaptation, the video game and the subsequent EU spin-offs.

To me, the best method is to have a vauge outline of what to do, pretty detailed character sheets, some vital twists and turns and then just go for it. I have to keep myself occupied with the writing, otherwise I wander.

Kids these days, am I right? :p

17. OurJud

Not worth starting a thread for this, as it's just a general wondering, but does anyone else find it difficult to 'slot' themselves back into their story-world when starting a new day's session?

By the time I'm nearing the end of a session, I'm right in there, right alongside my characters. I can hear them, see them. I can feel the very ground of that world beneath my feet.

But then the next day, they all feel like strangers, and I almost feel as though I'm intruding when I start writing them again. It's like I have to introduce myself and let them accept me.

I may be going peculiar, who knows, but I'm sure I'm not the only one to have this strange connection/detachment with their characters, am I??

18. Daemon Wolf

Daemon Wolf Senior Member

That's odd, I'm usually always right there with my characters. My problem is either I write for a full day or don't even touch anything.

19. writer one

writer one Member

Great ideas all. I am now wondering when I write and run out of words, then I just sit and stare at the empty word space. Then it dawns on me, does this piece have a subject :) ? Bingo I found the next right word. This could be a wake up call for me? writer one

20. Din Winchester

Din Winchester Banned

Even though I'm a very organized person and plan everything in advance, when it comes to writing I can't make myself start working according to my schedule. I always need to wait for some kind of a sign to push my brain to start working and turn on my imagination. Then I start writing right away and don't re-read the material until at least a day or two later.

21. Bocere

Bocere Member

My process involves a lot of sporadic writing followed by a frightening amount of revision. I have tried slowing down my initial writing process to allow for less revision time, but that just curbed my creative energy and I ended up getting nothing done.

Once I know my rough story I try to break it into a few major plot points, then follow that extremely rough little road map as I recklessly dive in and start writing. As long as I hit all of my desired plot points along the way it is at least a good starting place for what will eventually become my final draft. Inevitably I change 100 details and I add a bunch of minor plot points, but at least I have the bones of my story.

My revision process is a little more structured. Once I have a full "draft" I will do a close-reading. Any details that I changed halfway through are jotted in a specific notepad, so I have to hunt all of these down to make sure everything is consistent all the way through.

Once I'm sure the story is at least consistent I do another close reading - beef out some characters and subplots, add some detail etc. etc. Only after I have this third draft completed does the project go to my crit partners.

I can't oversell the importance of good crit partners. Mine rip my books to shreds every time and I love them for it (even though it hurts a little :p). But then the process becomes a back-and-forth between myself and those wonderful partners of mine until I finally have a cohesive completed story.

I hope this is helpful! I know everyone's style is a little different, so just go with whatever works best for you, and happy writing! :)

22. writer one

writer one Member

I am a general e-mail writer and have to write what I know. Off the top of my head is out of bounds for me. I am sure before Star Trek nobody had a clue about science and space and the future. That had to be off the top of ones head. I write from my heart to my mind and my experiences. The word story to me is off the top of ones head and I believe that their experiences in their life create it.

I now understand creative writing a little better. Every story has to have a writer behind it somewhere. My life experiences are my creative writing stories. A history so to speak, of my life. Thoughts please. writer one

23. Hayden

Hayden New Member

I should start plotting more before I start.

Usually my process is I'll just sit down and blurt out a random scene or passage that feels strong to me. I'll start asking myself a million questions about that scene: who are these people in it, where, why, what, etc.

I just got from there if it sounds good.

24. writer one

writer one Member

The voice in my mind sound like me. I do not know what they are except my thoughts. I remember a story about a judge who asked the the plaintiff why he killed his friend. He answered the judge by saying, " the voices in my head told me to"! I like that excuse, but it would not work for me. Writer one

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  25. kenver

kenver Member

I have a poor work ethic, no "process", and I rarely pursue ideas. When it comes to "finishing" things (about which I assume anyone into "processes" is concerned primarily) I rely solely on external motivation--the expectations of others, competition, money (rarely). Absent these I finish nothing. But I can't not be writing, so I have a things that I often do. They come in periods. Here's what I'm doing this period, step-by-step:

1. I become obsessed with a work of art to the extent that I believe being "good" at something means living up to the nebulous standard of the work of art. An oblique example--to illustrate the breadth of this effect--would be watching Philip Roth interviews on Youtube and becoming convinced that Philip Roth's style of interlocution were the only "correct" and "good" and "beautiful" style. This takes anywhere from one hour to several weeks.
    2. I generate a sentence or sentences. Ways of generating a sentence/sentences include free writing, plucking things from found text, describing scenes randomly called to mind, writing gibberish and then working the fake words into English words phonetically, performing "cut-ups" with a few of my own sentences.
    3. I read the generated sentence/sentences many times while listening to music or some other form of content-rich audio and focusing on the "space" the sentences occupy. By "space" I mean the literal space in which I feel the sentences sound natural or otherwise good. Example spaces include a school auditorium, the chamber of Poe's Raven, a desert, inside my own skull. There is no purpose here other than to imagine the work spatially. I use all kinds of music for this, but nothing has ever worked as well or as consistently as John Coltrane's A Love Supreme. This makes me feel like a simpleton.
    4. After I've thought about space, I free write while listening to spoken-word podcasts. The chatter of podcasts fills in for the less desirable parts of my imagination (namely the constant stream of disjointed bullshit) and introduces a measure of predictability to my thoughts. I also stop and make line edits every few sentences so that I maintain stylistic consistency. Line editing is, to me, the most satisfying part of the practice.
    5. At this point I will, if I'm lucky, have a "page." If it's right, I'll change the font size in my word processor so that the text fills one word processor page. Sizes typically range from 20pt to 11pt. Less or more words than this are too few or too many.
    6. I repeat steps 1-4 until I am no longer interested in the way things are going. This usually happens between five and twenty "pages."
    7. I periodically gather electronic documents in folders and label them by seasons or weeks.
    8. I become obsessed with a piece of art. While in the "psychic state" the art produces, I read through my pages and like, hate, and line edit them.

From time to time, someone will ask me to write something for them. I assume my practice affects this work in some way. I also assume that this practice is not conducive to a writing career.