Novel What's Your Writing Process?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by ACCERBYSS, May 26, 2008.

1. LuminousTyto

LuminousTyto New Member

I like to outline so I know where I'm going. To tell the truth, I suck at just sitting down and writing whatever comes to me. First I come up with a basic story idea. Then I write a paragraph for each scene that I think up, which will drive the story forward. Of course I already have a beginning and an end in my head, but I make the 2 points meet by coming up with the ideas for scenes.

After I'm comfortable with all the scenes I start writing the story until I finish. I do not edit it or change anything until the first draft is DONE. That's KEY. Get the first draft done. After that I do all the major plot revisions which I think need to be changed. I keep revising on different levels until I'm happy. LVL1 is plot for me. LVL2 scenes, to make sure they work right, having the right amount of conflict and suspense and all that mumbo jumpo, etc ,etc.

2. fwc577

fwc577 New Member

I start by looking at it from a perspective similar to Joseph Campbells work and a four act structure.

I have the following notecards hung on my wall that detail my writing process...

1-"Ten Minute Hook" - Opening chapter or paragraph that shows a "day in the life of..." and gives a mini-preview/foreshadows what's to come.

2-Arc One - I setup conflict, develop main character, develop subplots

3-Arc Two - I can start using flashbacks and filling in back story, Have the main character go through trainings, trials, and tests one of which will be an attempt to solve the problem outright but they will fall. All of my subplots continue to move forward. Each gain I make as far as subplots and how close the characters are to their goal I make something happen that causes them to take two steps backward and make things worse. I also establish a "ticking time bomb" something that a character needs to accomplish a task in X amount of time or fail.

4-Arc Three - The pace increases, a lot of action will be in this arc. The ticking time bomb is nearing completions, I have subplots wrapping up and building towards climax.

5-Arc Four - The final showdown, climax, and writeup. I also leave it open ended to continue a series. I make sure all subplots are resolved and the characters should come full circle and be ready to impart their gifts moving forward.

I outline my story in the above manner.

Then I write.

I also seek to identify the various archtypes so I know who is going to be what. Stuff like Shadow, Mentor, Goddess, etc.

3. Keitsumah

Keitsumah The Dream-Walker Contributor

I'm not going to force any ideas on anyone -everyone has their own method for writing- but as for me this is the method i use:

A. Prewriting

I think i understand prewriting as the very first bit that you manage to jot down of a story -and in this case i am constantly bombarded with ideas for a multitude of books. For me, i make separate files (i use Microsoft word) for each different book and just type in whatever interesting scene that has popped into my head at that moment in time. It doesn't have to be neat or even very interesting -what matters is that you write (or type) it down so that if you leave it for a while you can go back to it and add another piece to the puzzle. I imagine a book as a mirror that has broken and that you see many different fragments of the reflection of watt the book will eventually become. Over time, you will begin to piece it together. Just get general ideas down first -and it will make it a lot easier for you to just figure out the characters and settings. Plots come later as you figure out how the characters interact with others and their surroundings.

B. Writing

In my case i just write "from the seat of my pants" as is said oftentimes around me. But i get an idea of say the three biggest events in the story before i begin writing. For me, i think of the beginning of the conflict, the building action (any other major or minor events that build up to the end), and then the climax. But between those things i just go with the flow. You can be surprised at how your book can write itself if you just give it enough time to develop in your head (and believe me i know cause i have over ten in my head currently and i have absolutely no clue how i can manage this!) Overall; random thoughts equal random events that (if tamed and eventually fitted properly into the right place) can become very interesting events in your story. It doesn't matter about how neat it is or even how organized it will be on the first draft. That can wait for later!

C. Revision

Okay revision. I haven't gotten to that part just yet in my book so i have limited advice for this (three years and you would think i would have more than a hundred pages finished T.T) But as for revision i would say that first you should have someone read your book -and make it clear that you need them to point out every little thing that bugs them and not to just say "its great the way it is" because they are not telling the truth. There will always be a mistake or something in your book that you will not be satisfied with -but you can get it to be as best as you can before going overboard. Big tip; be a perfectionist in this area. But even bigger tip (and sadly i don't follow this very often as i manage to catch myself in mistakes in setting or plot very quickly) don't review until you get the entire first rough draft completed. It will make things a lot easier for you if you do.

4. dlaiden

dlaiden New Member

Prewriting. I never plan, I usually wait for inspiration in the form of a new song, film, artwork, etc. Or I see another writer's work, and eventually I have ideas running around in my head. When my head is fit to bursting or I get the impression that I will soon forget the idea, I resolve to begin writing it.

Writing. Ah. A mug of hot chocolate and an exercise in patience whilst staring at a blank Word document. Sometimes there's music in the background. A few months later, I'm done (usually 6-8, a full year with my current project).

Revision. Excessive re-reading, and making notes on the version of the WIP I've made for my iPhone. Passing chapters around to anyone who's available, typically friends or fellow writers. Gathering feedback, and generally failing to do anything with it.

5. Juganhut

Juganhut Banned

My writing process is a bit like this:

1. Idea pops in my head.
    2. I start writing, once I know the direction I want to take.
    3. At the end of the first chapter I decide if it is worth continueing.
    4. If it is worth it, I then jot down plot reminders in order they will be written until the end. I modify this as I get new ideas as I write.
    5. About halfway through my book I make sure my characters are at their highest or lowest or introduce a drastic change in the flow of the book to keep it interesting.
    6. Once the book is done, I re-read it, but not in order. I can catch a lot of mistakes this way, and able to better clarify on events.
    7. I then read it cover to cover and make any changes on the way.
    8. Along the process I feed chapters to a few people who want to read my stuff and give an opinion on it.
    9. Send it to be edited (Cheap 150 edit is just as good as a $1000 edit)
    10. Start making the cover art.
    11. Make changes in book with feedback from editor.
    12. Print book and do a final read through.
    13. Book shelves and eBook shelves.

Emily Johnson likes this.
  6. Daniel Bucci

Daniel Bucci New Member

You will soon find yourself where you feel fit. For me: I just have so many clouds floating in my head that are full of thoughts (Vivid pictures, voices, places, people, and much more.) When you write, try writing the first thing that pops into your head; keep on writing the feelings that are popping in, and never stop. Try to keep your hand typing and/or swiping. That is my guide for you, and understand it might lead to bogus pleasure. I am willing to share my knowledge with you.

Writing is not easy for those who seek help. Those who seek help are well known as those who are finding it difficult to master their craft. God gave us living soles a gift, and that gift is yet to be found. If your gift is writing, you shall use it, and those soles are usually capable of taming the beast. Most of us have distractions blockading our path. We must continue the emissary of the journey. I am wishing you luck.

~ Dan was here...

7. writerwannabe13

writerwannabe13 New Member

I've had ideas both made up and real life events that started stories. I've had a song being stuck in my head that created an image that cascaded into a story and one story a character's sentence started echoing in my mind and the story basically spung from there.

8. Stupid-Face

Stupid-Face New Member

I think of an idea, leave it in my head, if it sticks then I note it down on paper or word. Then I starting creating the story, characters, etc until I know a little bit about it all, then I get inspiration from various things like music, films, books, current events in life, people I know, research I have done, etc and I carry on planning and making my world seem real until I feel comfortable to start writing, even then I'm still planning my story and all the little parts about it.

9. marktx

marktx New Member

Color Coding My Chapters

Now about forty chapters in (80% done/40K words), my editing/revising process is going through some changes. On re-readings, I am still catching and refining (correcting errors, tightening up word choices, etc.), but every now and then I spot a chapter that needs medium or major revisions and rewrites. Maybe I was a little off my game when writing the chapter, and now that it's cold, I see its weaknesses. Maybe I've learned a few things about my MC in the meantime which can be used to make the chapter better. Maybe I was powering through that chapter as best I could and knew I would need to come back to it. Whatever the case, they're going to need some work beyond the usual read-through-and-clean-up.

So I have created a spreadsheet of my chapters which lets me see them at a glance, and I have assigned them the following "statuses":

GREEN - I'm happy with this chapter. I'll no doubt find small things that can be cleaned up, but from a storytelling perspective, I've got it where I want it.

YELLOW - Overall set of the chapter works as I intended, but some element within it is going to need some work.

RED - Major storytelling surgery needed here.

(I also have a fourth status, WHITE (as in "blank page"), but that's a placeholder for chapters that have not yet been written. Not much to say about that one.)

Here are a few sample rows from my spreadsheet. As you can see. the GREEN chapter (41) does not have any notes because I think it's basically OK. I've only included enough rows to give you a flavor of the kinds of notes I'm making to myself about chapters that need work. The "synopsis" for each chapter is meaningless to anyone who isn't me--it's just enough to jog my memory about what the chapter's about.

[table="width: 500, class: grid"]
    [tr]
    [td][/td]
    [td]Status:[/td]
    [td]Synopsis:[/td]
    [td]Notes:[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Chapter 2[/td]
    [td]YELLOW[/td]
    [td]Motel/Wilkin Helps/Buyer Calls[/td]
    [td]Add Wilkin Conversation for Voice[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Chapter 27[/td]
    [td]RED[/td]
    [td]Melanie Calls Eula/Wilkin in Jail/Her First Ghost[/td]
    [td]"OMG" Sequence Feels Gimmicky[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Chapter 28[/td]
    [td]RED[/td]
    [td]Eula Visits Wilkin/"Not a Good Crackhead"[/td]
    [td]Conversation Flow Feels Forced/Give Eula and Melanie Visual Props/Bring Them to Life[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Chapter 29[/td]
    [td]YELLOW[/td]
    [td]August at Car Repair Shop[/td]
    [td]Mentor Flashback Sounds Hokey and Cliched/Rest is Good[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Chapter 32[/td]
    [td]YELLOW[/td]
    [td]Clemont at Bed and Breakfast[/td]
    [td]Clemont Needs to Focus on Wilkin[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Chapter 41[/td]
    [td]GREEN[/td]
    [td]Humphrey's Rooftoop Flashback/Whisper-Song[/td]
    [td][/td]
    [/tr]
    [/table]

What do I hope this spreadsheet will do for me? Well, it gives me a little prompting as to which items I need to put on my brain's front-burners. A lot of my writing occurs when I'm not really "writing"--when I'm driving in the car to work, doing other things, and noodling over some part of the story to figure out the approach I want to take in telling that part of the story. The spreadsheet is my list of storytelling items that I want to chew on for a bit and toss around in my brain until I find the solution that works best for that part of the story.

What approaches do you find yourself using as your manuscript gets thicker? How do you go about keeping an eye on the weak spots?

10. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Wow, you're organized! Sometimes I edit along with the writing - especially if I find my story getting off track and moving
    into a potentially weak scene. I cut it and replace the scene with something else. If my printer has ink - I print out the
    story and start making notes on the actual paper which can be easier than doing it on a computer screen. That way I
    can spread stuff out, search out plot holes, things that aren't tied up, repeats. Slashing through anything that's excess.

11. Hurin

Hurin New Member

I tend to mainly write poetry. I've yet to venture into the realms of short stories and novels. Basically, I simply have these feelings/thoughts in my head that I want to convey, and then I figure out how I want to put my underlying thoughts/feelings across using words. What feelings do I want to instill upon the reader? After that I think about how I want it to look visually and how it should sound when read (Whether or not it's free verse or it rhymes and so on)

Once I've got a basic draft written down I read it over and over and go over it in a different coloured pen what is good and what is bad. I do this various times over a few days so I have a relatively finished piece. I don't believe a poem is ever 'finished' but it can certainly be polished to a high standard. I believe poems grow as the poet grows, so you can always edit them as you develop.

12. mclanier235

mclanier235 New Member

This may sound weird but I normally think of the ending first and work backwards from there. To me, it helps prevent writing myself into a corner. Other than that, I tend to outline the major events in the story so I have kind of a road map to follow... however, I don't plan out the characters at all. I just kind of write and let them come out on their own.

13. Fivvle

Fivvle Member

I'm something of a writing spiritualist... I just let the story go where it wants to, no questions asked. This often leads to story gaps and jumps the size of a small whale, but when I'm going over my writing I know what I want to keep, trash, and change, no matter how long it's been since I've looked at it. If I don't let the story "write itself" per se, I can't write worth a damn.

14. omrmstro

omrmstro New Member

the most sequential steps to be followed are
    idea develop[ment
    screening idea
    prewriting the idea
    checking and corrections
    concluding the topic being written
    finally writing as of final copy

15. MazMaric

MazMaric New Member

I tend to just write a scene, usually random (two guys chatting in a cafe for example), and then see where the story takes me. First thing I do is finish the story ASAP, then go back through it in detail to make sure timeline/distance/plot holes are corrected, then go through it after again, before going through it for any spelling or grammar mistakes, before giving it to a friend to read for anything I may have missed.

A lot of notes, lines, ideas or dialogue are in my phone (in text or spoken) as a lot of ideas come when I am away from a laptop or pen.

16. CyanideBreakfast

CyanideBreakfast New Member

It's absolutely fascinating to see how everyone else gets through writing! Time to add my own, although I can't say I've ever really thought about it much before.

When I decided I wanted to do this, I sat down and thought of an idea for a series and started writing, rereading and editing it every 1000 words. But, I decided that I really didn't like what I was doing. It could still work out, but for right now, for my first piece, I needed something special, not something I had came up with intending for it to thrust me out there. I don't think it's always the case, but I personally think that the writer has to believe in their writing for it to go anywhere.
    So, I looked through everything I had written over the years (I've a lot of incomplete stories saved on my computer from when I was about 13/14). In one of these old discards I recognised the potential for my something special. But I had to change nearly everything. The initial concept was very complex with humans, witches, vampires, elders, ancients, seers, time people (this is basically what it is about, keepers and masters but I really don't want to give it all away) and no real plot to speak of. So I cut it down, simplified it all. I kept humans and the time people (that is really a horrible title for them but it'll do for this). I changed the point of view, so it became first person instead of third. I changed some aspects of the main character's life story and, with these changes in mind, began to decide on the plot. She would have to find out who had done this horrible thing that threatened to ruin her life. I also kept the part of the plot where she was now the intended target. And I began to write, focusing initially on character development (I know I struggle with character development so I wanted to be sure she was believable). It wasn't until I reached the first major event in the story that I decided on my 'bad guy' and I gave motives to the bad guy and added to the plot. So my bad guy became, I hope, more of an anti-hero.
    This story is still in the process of being written. I'm at the point where I'm beginning to develop my anti-hero from friend to foe.

The only plan for my story is in my head. I've considered writing it down, my motivation to write is running a little low just now. Hopefully not for long!

I have a small group of friends (and my dad, since my writing is essentially his influence) reading it as I go. They only have the first five chapters, but will be getting more from me soon. I'm round about the 30k word mark.
    I know I have a lot of work to do to improve this. I notice a lot of you take some time off after completing a draft before you edit it...I wonder if maybe this approach will work better for me now.

17. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I think it really is worthwhile to see other people's process, and perhaps even try out a couple of them. Every writer must discover what process works best for him or her, but it isn't necessarily the first process you come up with, or the one you are the most comfortable with.

But in the end, your process will not be the right process for everyone else.

18. paisley

paisley New Member

Resources for plot organization

Hi!
    I'm new to the boards and really excited to be a part of such a large community of writers! I'm currently planning my first novel. Prior to this, I have written vignettes and short stories. Obviously, the plot of a larger work is much more involved than my usual two- to three-page essays...my question for the community is: does anyone have a particular tool (like a worksheet or mapping technique) to keep all of the emerging plot details and character development organized as it is generated? I have pages of notes scribbled in my spirals, but it worries me that it's kind of...everywhere. I'd love to hear some pointers from more seasoned authors!
    Thanks a bunch - and I look forward to getting to know you!
    P

19. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

I keep my notes in a specific note file for each story, and more complicated chapters have their own sub-file. They contain a text file of 'scribbled' notes, rather random but searchable, and separate copies of articles I've found in my research. I also have stickies posted about the walls that haven't been added to the file yet. It sounds chaotic but whatever works. ;)

20. B93

B93 Active Member

One of my basic tools for plot organization is a time line. It is especially valuable if you have multiple subplots with events going on simultaneously that aren't all seen by the MC. There may be events that are never shown in the story but need to have taken place to be referred to. You don't necessarily have to relate the story chronologically, but you need to avoid anachronisms.

I draw parallel lines on the page, one for each important character and maybe one for the McGuffin, and mark interactions between them with arrows. This helps avoid a character knowing something before they should or getting between places too fast.

21. FirstTimeNovelist91

FirstTimeNovelist91 New Member

When do you guys start worrying about work count? I'm less than 1k shy of 60,000 words, and I think I may end up going over 100k.

Do you start cutting words NOW or wait until after the first draft is completed?

22. Thromnambular

Thromnambular New Member

My writing process is fairly simple, I think.

1)Compile playlists of music that helps me write...
    This will usually be Trance music for me. If I'm writing something romantic, I'll listen to chillout/lounge music instead.
    Zoning out while listening to music is a great way to avoid distractions and just write. There's no such thing as
    writer's block; there's only doubt and laziness out there.​

2)Codex or Encyclopedia
    Because I only write fantasy and science fiction, I have to deal with world building, which can be fun. I start at the
    "highest" level, think a satellite's view of the world I'm creating. I plot geography, nations/states, organizations,
    culture, places of interest, phenomena, and so on. I make a codex or encyclopedia that describes the world itself
    rather than any individual characters. These repositories of fictitious facts will hold onto things that can inspire plot
    twists and help me set rules that give the story a sense of realism. It's easier for a reader to feel immersed in your
    world when he or she can relate it in some way to our own, and reality is defined by rules of some kind or another.​

3)Plot Skeleton
    As I flesh out the world itself, I get an idea of what kind of flavor to give my plot. So now I create a skeleton of
    my plot. Basically, I condense each chapter into a paragraph or two and write plenty of notes regarding ideas
    for details if I think up anything that seems too good to let go. Even after this skeleton is done, the plot isn't
    set in stone. Anything is subject to change; but, by creating this skeleton, I can make sure that each section of
    my story can lead to the next in a way that makes sense...thereby avoiding plot holes and other nasty things.
    Once I feel that I've arranged major events so that they fit nicely together, I move on.​

4)Character Profiling
    Before I can put someone in a situation and tell people how they dealt with it, I need to know who this person
    is and how he or she thinks. I profile my protagonists in as much detail as I can, but leaving some room for them
    to grow or change as write the story. I make sure that I know these characters enough to know how they'll
    approach their journey, but I avoid being too rigid with this...everything is subject to change as long as it makes
    sense and doesn't break the story or immersion.​

5)Narrative
    At this point, I actually start telling a story in detail. I try to imagine that I'm actually telling it out loud to someone.
    This helps me find the right pace and phrasing. I stop often to read what I write and "say it out loud" in my head.
    If it sounds bad to me, it'll probably sound bad to whoever reads it. Of course, it'll sometimes be bad even if it
    sounds good to me...that's what reviews are for. Trying to write a book alone is dangerous, so try to have other
    people read your stuff once in a while.​

6)Polish
    Even though we all try to do our best, and we write down what we think is good...what we write at four in the
    morning (animated by the arcane powers of caffeine alone) will not look as good when we look at it with fresh
    eyes the next day. This is when I go back and rephrase things, fix errors, and so on. Personally, I jump between
    steps 5 and 6 sporadically because I like to edit early and often. Once I'm done telling the story and I've made
    sure everything looks good, I'm pretty much done.​

23. DannyA

DannyA New Member

^ I have to say that 1,3 and 4 are spot on for me too.

As for editing. I tend to edit last (other than spelling and grammar). My reasoning for this is more habit than method. I've helped adapt books into plays in my previous job in theatre and so I'm used to cutting off the fat in order to retain the most important parts that actually drive the story. Sometimes if I edit early on, I remove something that I needed to be able to refer to later - even though at the time it might have seemed like 'fat'.

That said, sometimes my characters deviate slightly from their intended actions (one of the things that I love about writing is when the characters start to write their own story!) and so I find myself having to backtrack and write in additional info.

24. SuperVenom

SuperVenom Senior Member

Im a new writer myself, and i thought long and hard about what to do.
    I had ideas forming in my head and would sometimes forget them. This annoyed me so i started a small idea book. I would start by adding just character notes or a scene outline or jokes I would like to put in etc. and kept it with me as often as i could.
    I would number the stories and once i thought i had enuff meat i started another book for just for the story (titling the book with the number.) I would then try and get the story pieced together nothing major, just pad out the story's - ie. if i wrote in first idea book boy finds a magic flute that calls a small red dragon to him- in the new book i would start explaining who he was, how he found it, where i want it to go with it, he finds out that different songs bring a different dragon of size and colour. etc. Im at the point now where i am writing my story and it feels nice i can reference them books when i get lost or forgetful, and i don't stare into space in front of the computer (as often) as most the ideas have been formed. I try to write as much as possible and once I get to a point i feel i can stop i go back through the selection, rewriting parts im not happy with. Not a major re write as I am waiting until i finish the first draft for that, i just want to at least be happy with what i have done. I will prob. then print it out and go through it with pencil and rewrite and then repeat 3 or 5 times, before showing it to anyone.

On the days I don't feel particularly creative, i will still go back to the story and see if i can correct spellings, rewrite a scene even just sentence. What ever I do it manages to keep me within the world i created, keep the flow going and keep my interest.

This is just how i feel comfortable- I used the book because i could keep it with me where ever i go :)

Hope this helps, im new to all this myself and like to think i can help.

25. Pudge724

Pudge724 New Member

When I begin the writing process I usually have an idea or two that I allow to mull around in my head for several weeks. i tend to listen to music and think of these ideas and begin to build a plot idea and characters in my head. Occasionally I will take small notes, for example I might write down a characters name when the perfect one comes to mind. As far as outline's go I generally don't make them until I begin the writing and process and usually only when I need help organizing my thoughts.

When I sit down to officially begin writing I start with a pen a paper and get a few pages written before I move on to begin typing instead. As far a revision goes, I'm always revising my stories throughout the entire writing process.
    so my writing process goes as such

1. mull over idea for weeks
    2. take small notes on occasion
    3. hand write a few pages (revising as I feel is need)
    4. move to type written pages (revising)
    6. start the editing for spelling and grammar.

Also don't know if anyone else does this but I find that listening to music throughout the process helps to keep things flowing in my brain.