Tags:
  1. The Viendish One

The Viendish One Member

What's Your Writing Style?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by The Viendish One, Mar 14, 2009.

I write in a way that the average Joe to understand. Normally whenever I try to overuse fancy words I get entangled in overly complicated sentences.

It's so frustrating when you see this in books! Whenever I come across a long, complex sentence I have to back up and read one word a time to soak it in. This is good every now and again, but I don't like having to do this a few times every minute.

Well enough of my rantings. XD

What's your "style"?

2. sophie.

sophie. Contributing Member

Mostly descriptive, quite detached, as an 'observer's' style. I'm not so good with dialogue.

3. Sato Ayako

Sato Ayako Contributing Member

I'd call my writing style somewhat sparse. I don't like adverbs. I prefer adjectives kept to a minimum. Weak verbs are out. I don't want to use more words than I have to in any one story. For me, it's important to give the reader a satisfying story as quickly, efficiently, and effectively as possible. Writing is an art form, but it's also a business, a business of getting people to read your stories and respond!

I'm mostly conventional in structure, but I do occasionally break out of the box and try experimental forms. I've also been known to use dialect (and pull it off well in short stories) in a lot of my stories.

4. TwinPanther13

TwinPanther13 Contributing Member

I write a lot of dialogue. I like the reader to "hear" what the characters are saying and whats going on. I also write in a lot of movement.

Aside from that I am not too descriptive of a place or setting. I try to give enough where the readers imagination fills in the blanks.

5. The Viendish One

The Viendish One Member

I think we're opposites when it comes to writing TwinPanther. I tend to overly describe the place, in the process not putting in enough dialouge and thereby throwing the flow of the story off balance.

But I like to think that I'm getting better with dialouge though. :D

6. g1ng3rsnap9ed

g1ng3rsnap9ed Contributing Member

To be honest, I'm still in the process of finding a voice of my own and I'm bouncing around with different styles. I have a good idea though of what is my true writing voice, but I haven't a clue how to explain it, but I'll try anyway. My writing style can be funny, poetic, informative, and both overly descriptive and vague at times (not the greatest characteristic, but I'm an honest type of guy. :p), amongst many other things.

7. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis Contributing Member

My style is lacking in description, but is keen on character. Actions are described as the MC or viewpoint character perceives them and includes a lot of thoughts and guesses from the character. Not first-person, but feels like it without being really intrusive. I'd like to improve on the atmosphere and setting part of it, really.

8. ArckAngel

ArckAngel Member

My style is constantly changing.
    Currently it's usually third person limited, to the point where it's almost first person. Only omniscient at cretin points, and rarely. Non descriptive, character driven. Rather blunt really.

9. sweetchaos

sweetchaos Contributing Member

My style is pretty poor in description, and heavy with dialogue. I essentially started my writing hobby with RPG, so that's what it's carried over with. I tend to focus on characters and not on the surrounding area. That's mostly because I'm terrible with descriptions. I'm more about action and reaction. And even there it tends to focus on reaction. I'm working on it though.

Also, my writing tends to be a tad ont he juvenile side. I've not been writing long. I started when I was 19, so like 4 years. It hasn't had much time to grow and it doesn't help that I haven't kept up with it. Everything is still in it's baby stages.

10. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

Character driven storyline, third limited POV, dialogue/internal dialogue heavy, descriptions only if they are important to characterization or storyline.

11. Arrow

Arrow Member

I write literary fiction and tend to be poetic with my prose (ha!) so I've been told. This style of writing can easily fall into "purple prose" fast. So I need to be careful with long-winded sentences. I also get caught up in describing places and people. When I'm revising, these are the parts I need to cut down (or out) the most. Of course, these are often the passages that are most endearing to me, perhaps b/c they're the parts on which I spent the most thought-time.

Writing most comfortably from Close Third and sometime Omniscient POV gets me into that overly-descriptive gaze. I feel and write most comfortably from these perspectives, however. Still trying to find my balance I guess.

12. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

It depends on what I'm writing. My default writing voice is a fairly cold one, so I try to keep the perspective as close to my characters as possible and let their personality shine through. I tend to emphasize dialogue over description, but I'll let my characters throw in lots of detail when their narrative voice calls on them to do so. That said, especially with witty characters, one of the biggest challenges I face with my style is not letting everything turn into a joke.

13. Dr. Doctor

Dr. Doctor Contributing Member

I like to keep a very gritty, realistic sort of tone with my work, as if it's something being told to you by a buddy who just happens to be really good with words. I use a lot of adjectives and describing words, but also a very relaxed tone, very casual in a way. I'm improving with each piece I write.

14. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Contributing Member

I write in a fast pace and to the point style with a little bit of decorations for certain parts that I like, and try to balance exposition with dialogue where I can.

15. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

I forgot the real definition of my style- the occasional burst of cleverness amongst pages of crap.

16. joe

joe Member

Interesting question, Viendish One. I think I'm a little too close to my writing in order to be able to describe a certain "style."

I see recurring sentence construction every now and then, and definitely see some common elements in all the stuff I've written. There probably is a certain style to my writing, and maybe one day it'll jump out at me.

17. Dalouise

Dalouise Contributing Member

I'm influenced by Dick Francis and Jilly Cooper - earlier work from both - overlaid with Brit quirky humour in subtle doses. It seems to have gone down well, over the years.

18. architectus

architectus Banned

I don't know what my style is, but I tend to use shorter sentences. However, I don't believe a long sentence has to be complicated.

Is this long sentence hard to read?

He heard Sam crying, and he wanted to reach out and touch her, but he was exhausted mentally and physically as if he had fought twenty rounds in a boxing match and played a three-day-long, intense chess match without sleeping.

19. The Viendish One

The Viendish One Member

It's not hard to read but it comes off as too long winded. I generally try to avoid long sentences for this reason.

20. architectus

architectus Banned

He heard Sam crying, is an independent clause, and so is, he wanted to reach out and touch her, and when and connects two independent clauses there should be a comma. That is why I used one.

I think having a few long sentences adds more variety, but as long as you have simple sentences, complex sentences, and compound sentenced, etc, it should be varied enough.

21. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing Contributing Member

I'm not sure if it can really be said that I have a style because I just write whatever the fairies tell me to write. O_O

To be honest I have no idea what kind of style my writing is, and I guess I'm not all together aware of any particular style before, during or after writing something. I use the term self-indulgent to describe it often (as you may be able to see), since I know that I like/try to use (what I think is) off-beat imagery to create mood and emotion, I more than likely err on the side of purple prose and I'm frequently being told by the 'grammar-checker-thingy' that my phrasing is passive and I should change it, but in that circumstance I stand up to the computer software, or rather, ignore it, and leave my words be.

Ooh, and I often ramble on to almost get to a minor point, then leave it looking like an incomplete thought process with a summary rather than a proper explanation.

22. pacmansays

pacmansays Senior Member

I prefer writing in first person with little dialogue....great at writing in a character voice, not so good with conversation

23. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Writing dialogue is a lot more than writing conversation. Dialogue is practically a separate art. Good dialoque reveals much more by what is not said than by te leteral text of tge conversation.

24. DavidGil

DavidGil Senior Member

Shouldn't a writer try to write in several different styles? But theme wise, my writing is normally dark.

25. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Wow! This will unbraid my style even in my own eyes.

I guess I like to use small images a lot, relying on a lot on minor details in describing a seance to build the biggest impression on the reader's mind. I use dialogue - also - as more as a characterisation than a devise to move the plot along, something I detest. I also like writing in first person, and find it a much more involving and interesting medium, though a lot of the things I have written are in third person, when I do write in first person I find it much easier to mess with the readers minds and get more into the character's head.