When a nobel author claims to be the best

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by Augusto, Sep 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

Fully cognizant of such information, but it's really bizarre that people do those things and expect to get somewhere from it.

2. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

I'm going to visit the Ferrari website and claim to be the best driver in the world, ever. This will certainly make them interested in learning more.

Fullmetal Xeno likes this.
  3. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

And it's at the end of the book. He's gotta get people to start it, first.

Fullmetal Xeno likes this.
  4. Augusto

Augusto Active Member

I have about three days left before my vacations end. After that I'll be gone from the forum until Christmas at the very least. Just wanted you guys know.

ChickenFreak & Minstrel: I understand my arguments make my novel sound like a boring enciclopedia. The thing is that it isn't. It is 100% an enjoyable novel filled with well developed and compelling characters. The story can make you tremble and even cry. The ending can leave you dizzy. I can tell you because those are reactions I, myself, have experienced even being the author, and because those are comments I've received from people I trusted them with my manuscript.

The interesting part is that all that shitload of theory is working right within its pages and it can be extracted just by meditating in the events or by studying the relation between different elements. Pardon me if I get too excited, but this monstruous book allows people to extract information that is not there, but it is, and since the ground I used to build it is so massive, nobody can extract it all, so it's not like an enciclopedia, but rather like an incredibly rich novel.

ChickenFreak: As for your suggestion of writting non fiction, I still haven't share the biggest part of the reasons for my conviction. I already wrote something else, the book without narrative, and I'll tell you about it maybe tomorrow. Just know that you haven't heard anything yet.

As for the puzzle part, it is a promotional estrategy that is actually INSIDE the novel. That's pretty new, I believe.

Minstrel: I completely agree with your last two paragraphs. That's why I didn't focus in the pleasure of reading during my defense, because it is something entirely subjective, and that's why I don't care about fame or anything. There is no way in earth anyone could write a book that everyone find enjoyable... which doesn't change the facts that there are shitty writers and non shitty writers.

As for the non shitty writers, I think there is a huge range right there. I enjoy regular novels a lot and I couldn't finish reading The Divine Comedy, which is a super-turbo-hyper-mega-classic... it was too heavy and I hated it. I preffered Fifty Shades to Dante's masterpiece (we mention Fifty Shades a lot, haven't you guys noticed it? Lol).

My point? Anyone can write something more enjoyable than a Nobel Price winning novel, depending on the reader.

5. Augusto

Augusto Active Member

In movies... I hated "The Good German" and "Citizen Kane", two huge classics, while I laughed really hard watching many chapters of The Powerpuff Girls. Are the Powerpuff Girls trash? Hell no! They're nice cartoons even I can enjoy, while Citizen Kane is a boring story of a rich dude and The Good German is even more boring. I was crying out of boredoom with both movies, and I love movies and I know a lot about it. Even saw various mute movies and enjoyed them.

My point? As long as you get published, as long as you have a good story, as long as you manage to touch the reader, you can beat the crap out of Homer, Cervantes, Dante and Shakespeare.

But, again, I am talking about "literature" and "promoting a novel", and making a bold claim, and so and so on...

6. Dagolas

Dagolas Banned

You just said you're better than Shakespeare?

Don't come back at Christmas, I'm leaving this thread.

7. Void

Void Senior Member

I'm not sure if this was ever answered, but was the earlier information you gave before you revealed yourself to be the author, the part about only dialogue and no setting, a ruse, or is it still true? I ask because, if true, that along with everything else you said about your book basically confirms it to be unmarketable.

I'm still slightly confused about your intentions, but from what I can gather, you aren't interested in being famous or seen as the greatest author ever, but would rather make money in order to support your family. Okay, a decent cause, but you've chosen a futile path.
    It took you five years of dedication and hard work to produce this. Was it worth it from an artistic stand point? Sure, I don't doubt that. Was it worth it from a financial stand point? Hell no. If money is what you desire, you would have been far better off spending those five years flipping burgers, or stacking shelves. I know it sucks to hear this, but it's true. As you've said yourself, agents aren't interested in this type of novel, and the reason why is because the general public isn't interested. If your book really is what you say it is, your audience is pretty much limited to a few professors and literary critics who might enjoy books that favour structure and experimentation, but it won't sell to the masses regardless of critical praise. You couldn't possibly have picked a less financially viable genre if you tired. It doesn't matter how many puzzles and gimmicks you throw in there. Even if you do manage to get decent attention from critics, and they give you good reviews, this is extremely unlikely to translate into good sales. In fact, you've even claimed this to be the only "epic" since the nineteenth century. This in and of itself, while being a fun thing to boast, pretty much reveals that you're writing in a dead genre.

I'm telling you, even if you don't want to hear it, but from a financial stand point you have basically pissed away five years of your life. Making a decent living from writing books is the dream, not the standard. In fact, if you picked up the pen because you wanted to get rich, or even make a liveable wage, you picked up the pen for entirely the wrong reason. Writing is largely an arduous, thankless task, that should only really be embarked upon if you enjoy writing enough that making money is of secondary importance.

Now, as cynical and pessimistic as this might all sound, understand that I take no joy in deflating people's hopes (well, maybe a little bit of joy). But, this was not a good use of your time from a financial perspective.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
    plothog likes this.
  8. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

But you aren't going to get published.

Paper Waster and Dagolas like this.
  9. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

But...the reading public doesn't care about "literature" as a quality separate from their enjoyment in reading a novel. And it sounds like YOU don't care about literature. Promoting a novel based on its literary credentials sounds like another route to safe guaranteed failure.

10. Augusto

Augusto Active Member

Void: The second quote refers to my second novel. I will go there soon enough. When I explain what this second novel, The Wise, is, a lot of people are going lose their patience and call me a crazy and megalomaniac, deluded fool... so don't miss it.

I love writting and I did it because I enjoyed doing it, despise the suffering and all the difficulties. I believe Apotheosis is marketable. I really busted my ass to avoid making it something unreadable and exclusive of excentric literature experts. Hopefully, it is accessible to people with a minimum level of general culture. Kids are going to run away from it for sure, but still it is not that experimental... I mean, it is, but at the same time I tried a friendly approach and I think I succeeded in that.

Also I will tell you the general public is interested in whatever is selling and causing controversy, and mixing Christianism with Islamism and Atheism is totally going to provoque controversy. I trust this novel is going to be readed, and yes... I should have done something else. I was ignorant as fuck regarding the system, but now that I am here I need to sell my work.

Good/mixed news: yesterday I got a mail in which an editorial asked me for my address so they can send me a contract. They haven't reply yet and I'm affraid they may take their offer back after they found out where I live. I am Venezuelan. That's right, the number one country in misery. The country that is being mocked worldwide because we are being ruled by an ignorand bus driver. Being here (and being unable to leave) may be a problem for editorials, since there are restrinctions to the Dollar and whatever, but yeah, I got an offer and I'm waiting for that bloody contract. It is a nice editorial but I am not going to offer any specyphics because a few people here have showed rejection and hate toward me and I am afraid of any possible boycott.

11. Augusto

Augusto Active Member

ChickenFreak, they do care. Whenever a book earns the Nobel Prize, for example, sales multiply exponentially, so people do answer to quality and not only to "fun".

12. Dagolas

Dagolas Banned

I'm surprised editors would be so desperate.

13. Sifunkle

Sifunkle Dis Member

My guess at this point is that this second, currently-mysterious, non-fiction, completely-dialogue work of his will just be a verbatim transcript of this thread, perhaps with our usernames edited out. A literary version of performance art, if you will. He's certainly set up the hubris of the main character well, so maybe it will have some merit. And if there's no other saving grace, half of the dialogue will be snappily written.

Void and Tenderiser like this.
  14. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

@Augusto - If you want to pitch your novel to an agent as the best thing since sliced bread (or the greatest story ever told) then by all means return to the forum after you've sold the book and laugh and point at those of us who said this won't work. The ball is in your court. Prove us wrong. If you feel this is the best way forward, then take it. Our opinions don't matter. We're not the agents you'll be pitching to.

nastyjman likes this.
  15. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Just a small correction: Individual books do not win Nobel Prizes. The Nobel Prize is awarded to a writer for his or her entire body of work. There are many prizes around the world (the Pulitzer in the USA, the Man Booker in the UK and Commonwealth nations, and lots of others) that are awarded to individual books.

16. Augusto

Augusto Active Member

I know that minstrel. I didn't say I was going to win it. I said people pay attention to quality.

Ready...?

I'm about to start talking about my second book... The Wise...!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

[​IMG]

So here is a little example... I will explain the main plot and how this system works soon enough. Right now I just have a question for you all: after having said so many things about Apotheosis (and I didn't say it all), whay do you think I could say about this manuscript?

17. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

They answer to publicity. It's not the same thing.

And I sigh at hearing about that contract, because I'm assuming that it's a scam.

18. Augusto

Augusto Active Member

I'm very nervous and I don't rule out the possibility that they come up with a self publishing bullshit or don't reply at all. Anyway, why do you think it may be a scam?

19. Void

Void Senior Member

Damn it. If that's the case then I'm going to come across as one gloomy bastard.

20. Augusto

Augusto Active Member

Lol

I have thought about that a lot. I've been on so many interesting exchanges on different forums over the years that... well... but no. The book is finished and is more arrogant than that. I already posted a sample page and left a question hanging.

Anyone venturing to answer it? :)

I promise this is gonna be interesting...!

21. Tenderiser

I think the less you say, the better.

22. Augusto

Augusto Active Member

But I am saying I am the best writer ever... and you're still actively checking this thread... so it would be a shame if I stop posting in here, admit it...! :)

Also you don't know what I am going to say!

23. Tenderiser

Oh, absolutely, I want you to keep posting. This is like a car crash that everyone slows down to watch! But I think the less you say to agents, publishers and readers, the better for you.

24. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

@Augusto, most of us can't read Spanish, so there isn't much we can say about the content of your work.

25. Void

Void Senior Member

I'm still open to this thread being one giant ruse, and containing a massive plot twist.

jannert and Tenderiser like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.