When did you first experience 'book escapism' and do you have a three chapter rule?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Raider, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

Enid Blyton and Roald Dahl were the first to inspire me to write, even though Enid Blyton is probably a below-average writer. Something about her books capture children's imaginations.

I don't have a three chapter rule or any particular rule. I will delete a book from my Kindle immediately if there are SPAG errors early on. Otherwise I'll give the author a chance to set up the story until I feel "this isn't going to get any better." That can happen a few chapters in or 1/4 of the way in.

OurJud likes this.
  2. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

I adored those! But then I tried to read them again in my mid-teens and I couldn't stop seeing the exclamation marks! At the end of every sentence! It was impossible to read!

3. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

I'm showing my age now, but this - in particular one of the stories called The Land of Nowhere. I read this one story every single night, for about 3 years solid. Can't remember how old exactly... about 23 maybe :D. No, I jest, I was probably 7 - 8.

[​IMG]

You know what's really strange, though? The first thing I do when I buy a new paperback is flicker the pages under my nose, and they smell EXACTLY the same as they did when I was a kid. This smell will remind me of one of two things; the books I used to read as a kid, or the 'arts cupboard' from infant school, which was a blend of crayons, chalk and plasticine.

Tenderiser likes this.
  4. edamame

edamame Contributor Contributor

I remember being an avid book reader around 4-5th grade and really seeking book escapism at around 10, meaning I looked for books outside of school reading. I'd also had a breakup with my best friend and was a bit of a social outcast thereafter (didn't fit in any of the cliques and was bad-mouthed to others by said former friend) so it makes sense. Without Francis Hodgson Burnett's A Little Princess and A Secret Garden I might have become bitter. They were healing books at that time and they gave me the determination to keep the spring of kindness within me alive.

5. Gabcy

Gabcy Member

I think my first experience would be with that old children's series Magic Tree House.

Best series evarrr.

6. General Daedalus

General Daedalus Banned

I'd have to say that, for me, it was Post Office by Bukowski. I read when I was younger, sure, but nothing really stood out to me. Everything seemed to be a bunch of far-off, unrelatable accounts of fanciful stories. But once I found Bukowski's work, things started to make sense. It was a gritty, true reality. It was around the time I started reading his books that I got back into writing myself.

OurJud likes this.
  7. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Ham on Rye is beautiful, isn't it? I know that's not a word you immediately think of when talking about Bukowski's writing, but it is.

General Daedalus likes this.