1. The95Writer

The95Writer Active Member

When do you start your next book project?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by The95Writer, Mar 15, 2014.

I have just finished my first ever novella and now I got the editing to do. But, I also can't wait to get planning on a new novella. How long do you go after finishing a current project before starting a new project?

2. Bryan Romer

Bryan Romer Contributing Member Contributor

I usually commence the initial spadework and conceptualising for my next book before the current one is completed.

3. ddavidv

ddavidv Contributing Member

I started my second one shortly after the first was finished (rough draft). The idea came to me, I outlined it, and began writing.

I would not, however, start a second project while still working on one.

Since I prefer my work to 'ferment' awhile in the first draft stage before editing, I don't have an issue with beginning a new project when the first hasn't gone through it's first revision.

4. cutecat22

cutecat22 The Strange One Contributor

I think it's different for everyone.

I had something rattling around my head for my third fiction story which I needed to get out of my head, at that point (last week) I was only half way through drafting my second fiction and had only a title and one line idea for the third fiction.

The third fiction now has four thousand words but I still don't quite know much else about it.

Second fiction currently stands at approx. 60 thousand words and I know exactly what needs to happen to finish the story.

Whatever works for you, go with that, if an idea pops into your head, write it down and save it for later rather than put it to the back of your mind and then forget all about it when you come to sit down and write.

x

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i don't wait... always have multiple projects in the works...

vera2014 likes this.
  6. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributing Member Contributor

Whenever I feel ready.

7. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

After finishing a first draft, I usually take a break before I begin editing. During that time, I do a lot of reading, get back into playing music, and/or begin new projects (or resurrect old ones).

One comment: my understanding is that there isn't much of a market for novellas these days, so if your ultimate goal is publication you may want to think about either going longer or going shorter. Just a suggestion.

8. JetBlackGT

JetBlackGT Contributing Member

+1

My books are a series so it is easy to pick up where I left off and finish the cliffhanger scene while editing the previous book. It can be confusing though! You can be reading/editing the first book and you'll start wondering why the characters don't just use the [fill in the blank].

Oh yeah. They haven't worked that problem out yet [facepalm].

9. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributing Member Contributor

I usually can't think of two projects at the same time, I like to completely dedicate myself to just one story at the time, but I know a lot of writers who have projects in different stages at all times. Like, one in the idea-phase, one that they're actually writing, one they're editing and maybe even one they have released and are promoting in different ways. I think it's very individual.

10. Renee J

Renee J Contributing Member

I've been writing ideas for my next book while I'm writing my current one. I don't want to forget the ideas, but I also don't want to turn my focus on another book.

But, since this second book is a sequel to my first, it's helped my first book a bit.

cutecat22 likes this.
  11. peachalulu

peachalulu Contributing Member Reviewer Contributor

Who waits?
    :D
    Currently I've got numerous novels & short stories I'm working on. And whenever I see one of the story prompts it usually jogs
    out another short story idea. Stories and scenes frequently get interrupted but I never wait until I'm finished something - I might forget about it and lose the idea.