1. writewizard

writewizard Contributing Member

When do you write?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by writewizard, Feb 16, 2010.

When do you write?
    All day every day?
    Is writing your main profession, or just something that you do for fun?

What time of day do you write?
    For me, I write early morning, right after class, or late at night, about eight to ten o'clock. That is when I feel the most creative.

What about you?
    When do you write?

2. TeabagSalad

TeabagSalad Member

Hi,

I am new to the boards but I thought I would chip in on this thread as it interests me.

I have always written stories and the likes but never to any end apart from my own amusement. At the end of last year I went out and brought myself a netbook so that I could use the time I "waste" getting too and from work every day. So I tend to write most days on my way to and/or from work.

I also try and review what I have written at the weekend and try to spend a few hours editing my weeks work.

I try to spend a good little while each evening coming up with ideas or putting scenes together just before I go to bed.

Personally, I write for the fun of it but the idea I am working on at the moment seems to have developed into more that just a short story. Who knows where it could lead!?

Regards,

TeabagSalad

3. gabriellockhart

gabriellockhart Member

With meat first it was an extension of writing scenario's for a video game company i used to work at. Later is just evovled from there, designing my own games to writing films and finally hoping to write a novel.

As for time spent being unemployed:( all day everyday.

4. writewizard

Hey Teabag, I remember you introducing yourself. Welcome to the think of the forum.
    For me, I work best doing it at the same specific time of day, but I jot ideas down whenever I get them.
    I'm sorry you're unemployed, Gabriel, but at least you've got lots of time for writing.

5. whiskeyjameson

whiskeyjameson Senior Member

Whenever I can. Whenever an idea hits. Whenever and wherever.

Best, Whiskey

6. Cosmos

Cosmos Contributing Member

Generally now when I'm home in the evenings, usually before I go to sleep. There are days I couldn't get to sleep because I couldn't get an idea out of my head. xD

7. writewizard

Whiskey -
    I do the same sometimes :D
    Cosmos - totally!

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

... yes... and far into the night as well, when working on a major project... for as many days as it takes to get it done, or till i can't avoid taking a break... i've been known to work 18-20 hours a day for weeks at a time, not even stopping to eat, unless someone brought me food...

...when not on a major project like a book, or a screenplay, i write whenever something hits me that needs to be set down on paper... and of course i'm writing on and off all during the day, every single day, in my role as a writing mentor and in posting help on the several sites i visit daily...

it's been my 'profession' for nearly 30 years, though i no longer do it [or anything else] for money, having taken a vow to never again let making money rule my life, so all i do now is for free, including everything i do for aspiring writers that i used to be paid up to $150/hour to do for the clients of my writing consultant business...

my 'day job' now is being a practicing philosopher... and i give away all of my work, as its purpose is to enlighten, not to make money from it...

any time of the day [or night] i have something in mind that must be written... normally, i get up around 6 am, go to bed at 11 pm... but have been known to write things down in the middle of the night, if i wake with an idea/phrase/image...