1. hughesj

hughesj Member

When do you write?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by hughesj, Jul 21, 2013.

I'm guessing that the people on this forum have very different lives so I thought it would be interesting to see when people actually sit down to write and/or plan. Do you have a specific time each day for writing? Do you have a word goal each day that you want to reach? Do you have a certain time period that you want to be writing for and you just fit that into your day?

I personally write when I have a solid idea of what I am going to write. It could be weeks between writing sessions or I could write several hours per day.

When do you write?

2. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

I'm at my most productive early in the morning. That's my favorite time to write - about five or six am until the phone starts ringing.

Right now I'm revising a sci-fi novelette that's very nearly finished. My schedule for that is whenever I can squeeze in some time to work. For the past few days it's been late at night - I hate working at night!

I don't usually set a word goal for each session. I just work until either I'm satisfied with my progress or the real world interferes too much.

3. JetBlackGT

JetBlackGT Contributing Member

I write every weekend as my "second job".

First thing in the morning, I roll out of bed, open the windows, make sure the coffee maker didn't let me down, take a shower, make breakfast and eat it and drink the nectar-of-the-writer (coffee) while at the computer.

To make a long story short (too late), I write in the mornings.

During the week, I'll write a bit if I left off at a particularly exciting point and the story is engaging me to the point of distraction. Typically I'll get one or two days of writings-worth done during the week.

On weekends, the goal is 5,000 words a day. Once that goal is met, if I am really into it (which I freaking AM NOW!) I'll keep right on going if I feel up to it. Yesterday morning I had my 5,000 words by 8AM so I kept at it. By 5PM I was spent but still grinding it out. The last two weekends, I've done over 20K words over two days and felt great about the product. To get ten or twenty percent of a book done, in two days makes me very happy! To get a 120,000 word book fleshed out in ten days is a RUSH! Then comes the less exciting editing part, where you will often add even more body to flesh out the things you only sketched out in the rough draft. So your book gets fatter every morning :)

I do the planning in my head, at night, a lot. Also on long drives. I set up a lattice-work of the rough story, by fantasizing about it. After I get to a computer, I just let each chunk of story line flow into the next one so I don't have to actually remember it or write it down. If it works, it stays in your head and won't fall out until you shake it out of there onto the computer.

4. ChaosReigns

ChaosReigns Be Still and Know Contributor

i tend to write (when an idea comes to me, there is no point rushing them) later at night and on days off of work (every sunday and 1 day between mon and sat) the late nights i dont write much, but when i get a big block of time, say, if im on an early with my work, or have a day off, ill flesh a story out, ill get an idea, write it down on either my phone, comp or ipod, (normally phone or comp as i use google drive to share it between the two) and when i flesh out, i put pen to paper and write, its a slower process, but the idea gets formed.

in saying that, ive taken to typing on my laptop more, im beginning to find it more comfortable than a notepad and pen.

5. ladybird

ladybird Contributing Member

Interesting question :)

I write anywhere at anytime. However, I do write every day; whether lines of poetry, a short story, a blog post, an article or whatever. Sometimes I include research re. different aspects of SP&G. I don't set myself a goal unless I'm working to a deadline.

LB

6. JetBlackGT

JetBlackGT Contributing Member

And keep a notepad with you, when you are not writing. Sometimes you will hear one line or think of something that would be great. Jot that thing down! You'll even add entire scenes just to incorporate a single joke. :)

7. Makeshift

Makeshift Active Member

I haven't noticed any particular time of the day to be more productive than others. I do have this rule about attempting to write everyday, which I have now kept for about a month and I highly recommend this. Once or twice there were days I simply didn't have the chance to write and that's something I forgave myself. I don't work with a word limit, on some days that would just lead to writing complete crap to meet the limit.

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

whenever something needs to be written down... could be in the middle of the night, so i keep a notepad and pen on the bed... could be while out shopping, so i keep a pad and pen in my tote bag... plus by the chair where i watch tv and do jigsaw puzzles... and on the kitchen counter...

i can write 18-20 hours a day every day, if working on a major project... and have done so several times...

9. jazzabel

jazzabel Contributing Member Contributor

I work from home so I write every day. Usually start between 8:30 and 9 am and keep going until I have to cook lunch then depending on what I have on in the afternoon, I may or may not work then too. But generally, I stop writing before 6pm. Daily limit is 300 good words, although I sometimes end up with over 2000, edited and polished and making sense. I don't like to 'just write' only, I like to edit as I go so my words per hour aren't very high but the draft is of a reasonably good standard.

I also have an iPad with me most of the time, and a file in it which is for writing-related ideas.

10. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

I seem to write best between 4-11 am, and 4pm-2am. I'm more likely to edit in the afternoon.

11. matwoolf

matwoolf Contributing Member Contributor

I have dreams where I recite the poem, discussing with my teeth to which cookery show I'll send the script. I tend to chuckle a lttle bit about how good the poem is, dwelling over couplets, and such - savouring my talent - call it genius. Second stage of the dream I tell myself there's surely no need to fetch the notebook, because I'l remember it all, any moment. Then I wake up.

Athough, once wrote a terrible poem at midnight - fully awake - posted in froth, to some idiot website and still is the number one hit for my full name. So, write in the mornings.

12. UnrealCity

UnrealCity Active Member

I try to write at night, anywhere between 7 - 10 pm, usually for an hour or so if I can. Sometimes I write during the day if I feel like I can be productive. I usually keep a notebook with me for brainstorming ideas when I'm out and catching public transport.