When Is It Okay To Commit Suicide?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by HellOnEarth, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Ouch.

Oh and BTW: If my friends/family were talking about commiting suicide, then I would help them as much as I can. Do what I can for ANYONE really if they were feeling this depressed, so I don't advocate it, but I UNDERSTAND the decision.

2. Sir Ender

Sir Ender New Member

I know what being depressed can be like. Even after going through bipolar depression and all, suicide wasn't my way out.
    I agree that it's someone's personal choice, but there is always an alternative, even if you can't see it at the time being.

3. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

And I've been through the same depressing pain. When I was really sick. I thought that I was going to be sick and what a waste it would be to live if I was to never know what had afflicted me.
    I wanted to die back then so much.
    But I'm okay now.
    Old cheery me.
    I think we all experience a time in our lives when we want to die.

4. CharlieTheUnicorn13

CharlieTheUnicorn13 New Member

Somewhere in this universe... Is there some reason
    Yeah. Mine will probably come when I'm old and I can't even eat breakfast without help.

5. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

People who are seriously suicidal are incapable of thinking 'logically'; to an extent whereby their brain chemistry is so ****ed up, that they can just end their life without a second thought, without even realising what it is they're doing. Does this make them responsible for their actions? No, because their capacity to conduct themselves normally, within the realm of rational and logical thought, is hindered.

6. CharlieTheUnicorn13

In other words, the people who commit suicide are usually mentally ill, right?

7. Edgewise

Edgewise New Member

When surrounded by the zombie horde, having been bitten, and with one bullet left in the chamber.

8. Eoz Eanj

I can't just conclude that whoever commits suicide is mentally ill, no, because there's a wide range of causes. The cause I was/am referring to, is that of chemical imbalances, as that is the cause I am most familiar with contextually.

9. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

I neither approve or diaaprove it. I think that if an individual does not feel strong enough to cope woth life that they would rather kill themselves, then that is their choice. It is a life lost and a shame really but it remains their choice. It really is a shame though that people will not seek help when it is needed.

However, I know first hand it is not that simple to ask for help when you really need it. You keep burshing it off until the problem becomes too serious to ignore. But by the time it has got to that point, it is often too late. I don't know.

10. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Yup. You are very right there Heather.

11. Baywriter

Baywriter Contributor Contributor

It's never okay. It's selfish. I believe that it's the most selfish thing a person can ever do.

12. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I'm with you 100% on that Baywriter.

13. CharlieTheUnicorn13

I'm sort of with you and sort of not. If someone is suffering horribly, I think death should be an option (like, if they have some awful disease.) Of course, they shouldn't be the ones to kill themselves. Suicide is against my religious beliefs. Is it suicide to allow yourself to die?

14. Eoz Eanj

Whether attempting or actually committing suicide is selfish or not is irrelevant. People need to know that they're not alone and that they can get help; that suicide is not their only option. Everyone needs to unite and support one another so that the situation can be understood and relieved.

15. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

Quoted for agreement.
    I agree with Eoz.

16. diziet

diziet Member

i totally agree with this ;)

suicide is not, as the song suggests, painless. even though the pain may be over for the person commiting suicide the pain goes on and on for those left behind who cared for that person. its an incredibly selfish thing to do but it is entirely an individual's choice.

17. Heather Louise

yea, thats the way to look at it. A person feels so bad about themselves and life etc that they would rather kill themselves. Yea, they are being selfish, thats a good thing to tell them. They need your support and help if you want them to pull through this. Someone who feels this bad probably has some sort of mental illness that needs treating and ok, it might be the "cowards" way out, but what if it is the only way they see because of the people like you would shun then for even thinking about suicide?

I am not aiming this at you btw, BayWriter, I just used your quote as an example of what people on your side of the fence generally say.

18. Raven

Raven Banned

There are many things none of us take into account when someone feels so low they consider ending their lifes.

Thankfully I have never gone down that path. But we mustn't judge those that do.

If a friend is so low and usually lonely with it I think its up to us to help them after all if we are their friends its our duty.

Of course there are many reasons why someone would choose that path and sadly sometimes go through with it.

Condemning them is proberly the worst thing we can do considering we proberly don't understand.

19. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

My mother has a terminal illness. Her body is very slowly shutting down on her. She finds it hard to breathe, has chest pain all the time, randomly blacks out at any given time. She is always sufferring day in day out and it is pitiful to watch.

As time goes on she gets worse and worse. Eventually she will be on oxygen 24/7 and needing 24 hour care...the thought kills me. She is going to be on that many machines and wires and tubes to keep her alive and in knowing this she has opted to never be resusitated. It hurts but I accept that and wouldnt want her to suffer more than she should have to.

I know how hard it is going to get for her. It is going to be hell for her, she will be in so much agony every second of her life and to be honest I think that she should have the choice to free herself from the slow agonising death once she is at the point where she can't do a thing except lay in a bed with mchines keeping her going. It isn't fair and she doesn't want it either.

I know it sounds cruel and I shouldn't wish that for my mother, but I'd rather her not die slowly in a hospital bed sufferring being miserable for the remainder of her days. She was a very active lady and still is. It will seatroy her to be stuck in a bed living on machines!

20. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I have been close to suicide before, and I wouldn't consider myself selfish. I would advise people who are so quick to judge it as selfish to not be so brash and to conisder it from another angle.

Though now I wouldn't do it. There have been times in the past when it was a real option. And also, there are times when a person is so ill, Euthenasia is the only way to stop the suffering, this I can agree with too.

Please don't say it is selfish. It's not always the case.

21. Baywriter

Even if that wasn't aimed at me, I would NEVER shun someone for thinking about it. I've been down that path. I've attempted it. I failed and ended up in the hospital. After that, I realized how selfish I was being. I realized what I was doing to my family and friends. I've been on both sides. I've had dear friends commit suicide. My father commited suicide. To be on THAT side was worse than being on the other side, where I tried to do it myself.

On that side, I had a solution. I was just going to die and end my pain. The end. But on the other side... I didn't know what to do with my pain. I was lost (I still am). It's something that still is slowly killing me everyday. So yeah, it's selfish to kill yourself. I'm sticking to that. But again, I would always try to help someone who was trying to go down that path rather than condemning them for it.

22. Raven

Raven Banned

But again I repeat myself. Do not condemn those that choose to end their lifes. There are always reasons we can never possibly know why someone choses that path unless we have been there and thankfully I have not.

Well said Baywriter. You've certainly if anything shown yourself how strong you are. And I'm sure your father is very proud of you.

23. Heather Louise

BayWriter, I am sorry to hear about your losses with it, but I still struggle to see why commiting suicide is selfish? Because it hurts your family? tough, lots of things hurt them in life, that is life. I really think these people neede help rather than to be called "selfish" and whatnot.

Torana, I am terribly sorry to hear about your mother, and yes I know what you mean, sometimes euthanasia can be the easiest choice.

I am sorry if I offeneded you with what I said, Baywriter, suicide is often a touchy topic as many people have strong feelings about it and their own experiences with it. It wasn't meant offensivly what I said, I just think that people shuld be more sensitve around the area and people feeling suicidal. Just because you pulled through and mnaged, doesn't mean everyone else will.

24. Baywriter

Fine. It's not selfish. It's not selfish to destroy the lives of everyone that loves you just so YOU can feel better, which perhaps could even lead those people down the same path you chose. Nope. Not at all. My mistake.

You have to understand how much it devastates a person's family and friends. If you can't, then I can't help you. You see, it's not the fact that it hurts. It's how much it hurts them. It sometimes takes years for them to even begin to feel better. Sometimes they NEVER feel better. Causing a lifetime of pain to everyone that cared about you IS selfish.

Just because they're in distress does not mean that they don't need to hear the truth. "It's life" as you say. Yeah, it does offend me that you're telling me not to say that it's selfish. It is. I realized it myself, and THAT'S why I pulled through. I think people who are suicidal DO need to hear because maybe they'll pull through, too.

25. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

torana has sadly shown exactly why it should not be condemned across the board!... if you who are doing so were in the horrible situation her mom is [and mine was for years!], i'm sure you'd change your mind in one hell of a hurry... i'm sure if her mom had the ability to do it, she'd end her life, rather than go on suffering and making her daughter have to watch helplessly...

as i did with my mom, torana, i'll hope for a nice painless going-in-her-sleep for yours, soon... i loved my mother as you do yours and yet was so grateful to whatever when she finally didn't wake up one morning, at the age of 93, having had no quality of life whatsoever for years...

love and hugs, maia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.