1. chandler245

chandler245 Banned

When is it time to throw in the towel

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by chandler245, Jun 4, 2009.

I have been working on this book for over nine to ten months, I have finished it, with thirty-six chapters, but the more I read and revised the more junk I seem to find, So when is it time to throw in the towel, any advice neg and pos would help.

Thank You
    Chandler45
    Kisses to all:(

2. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributing Member Contributor

Chandler245,

It is very difficult for someone other than you to decide. But I do have a couple questions for you to consider as this thread starts.

How attached to the novel are you?

Is it something that can be salvaged (fixed up to what you believe you'd feel comfortable submitting for publication)? If so, would it be worth the time and effort, or would it be better to set aside, having learned from the experience and start something new?

Even if it can be fixed, will the process burn you out or prove too frustrating?

Or if it might be 'revisable', how would you feel if you put time into it and eventually had to walk away from it? How would this affect your ability to write another novel, even considering you might learn from the revision effort. Would that be payoff enough?

Terry

3. Irish87

Irish87 Contributing Member

This may be a horrible bit of advice, but your perspective on your story right now is most certainly negative. No matter how brilliant it may be, you only see the bad parts. So, you might want to think about taking a few weeks off from it. Hell, take a few months.

While you wait to calm down, take your vacation of sorts to write something absolutely different. Try to relax. Once you have refreshed yourself go back and look the thing over again. If you want to then toss it and move on. No use holding onto dead weight purely because you spent a lot of time on it. What I would suggest you do no matter what, however, is keep the plot in the back of your head. Over time it'll evolve and become something entirely different than it was before.

Either way, good luck.

4. starseed

starseed Contributing Member

You keep working on it until it's done.

That's it.

If you're not happy(satisfied, at least) with it, then it's not done.

You most certainly should NOT give up on something you've been working on for almost a year, that would be a crying shame. :(

5. Unsavory

Unsavory Active Member

Like Irish87, I seriously suggest setting it aside completely and working on something else for a while. Be happy that you finished the novel, but don't let it consume and frustrate you. Work on something else having learned from the experience, and come back with fresh eyes. By this time if you still don't think the novel is salvageable, at least your heart won't be so emotionally invested that it will break.

Choosing not to sell this particular novel is not the same as giving up. It means you had a great experience writing it and you'll be all the more prepared to start on a new project.

6. Forde

Forde Member

I agree with Starseed. That's a lot of time down the drain if you just give up. Of course, the writing process itself has probably been very useful, advancing your writing style and making you a better writer as you go along. That's probably why you've returned to the earlier sections and realised that they need a lot of revision.

Maybe a break might do you good, but then, slogging away doggedly at it might give you the breakthrough you need. Sometimes I like revising early text more than writing new content!

7. arron89

arron89 Banned

You've been working on it this long, suck it up, fix it, get it done.
    I mean the story, basic and unpolished though it may be, is all there, and of course there's gonna be a lot of fixing up to do, but if you didn't expect that then that is where your error lies. First drafts are invariably ****ty, its a fact of writing life. But its a big milestone on the way to getting it finished, so just keep hammering away at it until you're left with something you are probably sick of the sight of but at least don't hate.

So in short, rock and roll, deal with it.

8. chandler245

chandler245 Banned

Thank you for all your help, the stress is getting to me and I am having a hard time with the revise

9. CharlieVer

CharlieVer New Member Contributor

If you don't like it or you don't want to work on it any more, put it aside. If necessary, put it into a box, put it in a corner of your basement.

Move on to another book. Work on another writing.

Do not throw your book away.

There was once an author who wrote a book. He didn't like it. He thought it was going no where. He probably felt much the same way you did. He put it in a box and put it in the basement.

He wrote another book that was successful. He wrote more books. He wrote, yet another book that he didn't like at all. He put that book into a box and put it in the basement.

Some years later, he dusted off the first box, took it out, polished the first book and broke it into parts which were published in Science Fiction and Fantasy magazine. The book was called the Dark Tower, and it was eventually published, first as a single book, and eventually became a seven book series.

He dusted off the second box, polished and completed it. It eventually became a movie. That one was called Pet Semetary.

The author's name, of course, was Stephen King.

10. Dcoin

Dcoin Contributing Member

Let somebody else take a look. We are our own worst critic at times. Get a fresh pair of eyes on your work

11. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

all good advice above... the best bit is the last... if you want, i'll be glad to take a look at your work and let you know if it's so bad you'd be best off dumping it, or if it's worth keeping to work on later...

love and hugs, maia