1. blernblan

blernblan New Member

When submitting a story...

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by blernblan, Feb 23, 2009.

What exactly do you include? The story in the proper format obviously... but do you include a cover letter? A resume? If you include a resume, would it be strictly a writing resume listing previous publications, works and other experience?

Thanks for any answers!

2. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Short answer, you include exactly what a publisher requests.

Normally in the cover letter, you'd include some of your recent sales (of stories--especially those similar to what that market publishes--paying takes priority over nonpaying markets in most cases).

Since you said story, I am going to stick with short fiction. If the market accepts only (or prefers) snail mail, a cover letter with SASE would be included with the story. An email submission, the cover letter info would go into the body of the email. It gets a little more complicated if the market requests the story in the body of the email--but generally they give specifics in those cases. With an online submission form (where you fill in fields and upload a document) it is pretty obvious what is requested. In the comment section, if not possible elsewhere, then cover letter content information can be included.

You'd never send a formal resume with a fiction submission--unless one is specifically requested, which I've never come across yet.

Hope that answers your questions.

Terry

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

main thing is, follow each publication's 'submission guidelines' to the letter!

4. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

Send them whatever they ask you to send. Very rarely have I seen publishers ask for a resume, though. The only reason I can think of needing a resume is if you are submitting a non-fiction book on a very specialized topic.

5. Bob Magness

Bob Magness New Member

Yeah, I have never heard of fiction publishers requesting a resume. Previous published works, sure, but not a resume.

6. traffic101

traffic101 New Member

Most sites have their own guidelines of what is acceptable and what isn't. They might want a synopsis, or a sales page, or just an outline, or the first 3 chapters. It's best to tailor each submission to what the publisher is looking for. Good luck!