1. Daggers

Daggers Member

When that Lightbulb Finally Flickers on.

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Daggers, Sep 24, 2012.

I just want to share this feeling. The cogs have finally started moving of their own accord. I've struggled for a long time with developing my ideas into workable plots. I had a new idea on Saturday night while I was at work (the joy of working nightshift in a supermarket is the job is so straightforward and mundane you can do it on autopilot, basically I enjoy 10 hours a night of my own thoughts while my body does the hard work).

I got home and started writing down notes about my idea and the more notes I took the more the ideas flowed, I now have what I consider a good rough basis from which to start ironing out the finer details of the plot of my story. I'm really pleased! I wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience?

I just wanted to share this with people who would appreciate how great the feeling is. Unfortunately the downside of having so many ideas flowing through my head is that I never managed to get any reading done for my lectures tomorrow!

-Daggers

2. PlotDeviceManager

PlotDeviceManager Member

You know, I have just fallen into this same feeling lately. I've "started" probably a thousand stories, but the other night I was just screwing around with a dumb "What if?" idea. Suddenly I had three characters and a plot. The more I do, the more excited I get. I can really feel my characters starting to breathe. I've tried hundreds of "serious" attempts and they all peter out and disappear. This one, however, just strolled in like a fashionably late dinner guest and now I can't put it away.

So, I'm really glad for you. Good luck. Wish me luck, too!

3. hyperchord24

hyperchord24 Member

Yeah, it's amazing that even though I thought I had enough to start writing novel how much I don't know about my world and how boring it really is. I had a good idea of where the plot would go and thought the plot would just develop from there but sheesh, I'm running out of steam

4. Daggers

Daggers Member

Nice! I'm the same, one long brainstorming session brought me 3 main characters plus an antagonist, a near complete character profile of one of them, a suitable antagonist and two potential plot strands to follow. Right now I'm trying to decide who my target audience is. It's a science fiction plot which I would prefer to write more at the adult market but actually I'm thinking it might work better aimed at teens/young adults in the same vain of the kind of books I read at that age (Darren Shan/Alex Rider etc.).