When the character is of another religion.

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Link the Writer, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

That's a good idea. I can see other characters making small mistakes here and there and Heridon needs to correct them (Like them calling Passover "The Passover")

I guess I should have mentioned that Heridon doesn't take his heritage super seriously. He's a pretty easy going guy.

Thanks for the responses everyone. :)

EDIT: As for why he's a Jew? I'm just fascinated with the Jewish culture and history.

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

doesn't seem to me to be a good reason to toss that in... it's the story that should call for it, not your 'fascination'... you might be fascinated with eskimo culture and history, but it wouldn't make sense to have one of your characters in this story be one, would it?

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Diversity among characters is not a bad reason, in my opinion, as long as the author is prepared to adequately research the culture associated with the character.

However, if the writer merely proliferates stereotypes, he or she deserves all the scorn that will surely descend!

4. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I agree, Cogito. I like diversity in my characters.

I am prepared to adequately research everything necessary for the character and won't use stereotypes. (Hate them anyway.)