1. Z. C. Bolger

Z. C. Bolger New Member

Q about agent

Discussion in 'Agent Discussion' started by Z. C. Bolger, Apr 10, 2012.

I have written a YA Mystery novel and have had a friend offer for me to submit it to her editor. This editor is part of one of the largest publishers in the country and doesn't normally accept MSs that aren't represented but because of my friend the editor will check it out without an agent. Should I have an agent for this anyway or should I submit for an agent after the editor LOVES my book so that I can make sure I get the most out f the contract?

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

the latter, by all means... you'll be far more attractive to an agent if you have an interested publisher waving a contract in your face... and you'll most likely get a better deal with an agent than without one...

congrats on getting a foot in the door!

keep us posted...

love and hugs, maia

3. Z. C. Bolger

Z. C. Bolger New Member

Thanks so much (even if just for answering lol). that option was also suggested by OSC (Orson Scott Card) but I wanted to see if anyone else had a different take.

4. Woody

Woody New Member

I agree - if you have a connection, by all means go for it! As much as we wish it wasn't true, it's all about who you know.
    Congratulations on this exciting step! All the best. Keep us updated.

5. mammamaia

just make sure you don't jump the gun and shoot yourself in the foot [love mixing metaphors!] by sending them a ms that isn't properly formatted and polished to a faretheewell...

6. bethklewis

bethklewis New Member

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. An editor in one of the Big Four (UK) is reading my mss as a favour and enjoying it, the feedback has been wonderful. It's simply as a favour and I have no expectations but I'm wondering if I should mention to agents.

I definitely want an agent, I wouldn't want to negotiate direct with a publisher and would recommend anyone to get an agent.

7. mammamaia

i don't think it would be politic to mention the friend who's reading it as a favor, if it's not really being considered by that publishing house... as an agent, i would consider that to be misleading at best, dishonest at worst...

you're wise to go the agent route, as it will almost certainly result in getting you a better deal with publishers...