1. louis1

louis1 Member

An agent just contacted me for the first time. What do I answer?

Discussion in 'Agent Discussion' started by louis1, Feb 15, 2014.

I know this isn't such a big deal but after only receiving many standard refusals, one agent just sent me an email to know if the book I queried is part of a series or not.

And I need help answering, I don't want to mess this up.

Here's everything I could answer: (what I need is for you guys to help me decide what to say and what not to say.

1. Yes the book is part of a series.
    2. It's part of a five book series.
    3. Book 2 and 3 are already written/rewritten but still need to be worked on.
    4. I've already planned everything up to the end (book 5)
    5. Offer them a synopsis for book 2 and 3?
    So... Should I say everything? of just that yes it's part of a series? Maybe I should answer something else? Help me! ahaha I'm way too excited and I don't want to ruin my chances by giving too much, or not enough information.

Thanks

edit: all the five statements are true of course, I just need to know what's expected of me.

2. Mackers

Mackers Senior Member

Well the truth is here you've planned for five books so why don't you tell him it's part of a series and you've planned 5 books, written 3? Simples...Offer to give him a synopsis of 2 and 3 if he's interested

3. louis1

louis1 Member

That's what I'm planing to do. Anything I should add? I just want to make sure I do this right. After months of rejections I need to make sure I do the best I can.

4. Mackers

Mackers Senior Member

Don't worry, relax :) I would leave it just at that and say no more. You don't want agents to smell any desperation lol

5. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

Yes, the book is part of a five book series.

What do you mean by "worked on"? Ready for submission and professional editing? Final draft with only polishing left? You should be able to give them an indication of how soon the next book(s) would be submission ready.

I have a [detailed outline/copious notes/much scribbling done] for each of the remaining books.

Be a bit more specific so the agent knows the sort of timeframe they're looking at.

6. Nightstar99

Nightstar99 Senior Member

As far as I know, publishers are more interested in new authors if they think they are establishing a pipeline for more books. While, apparently, they aren't interested in Part 1 of a trilogy (for example) that doesn't stand as a solo book, they would be investing a fair amount in marketing you so would like to know that you'll be able to deliver more books if the first one shows signs of selling.

This does make some sense as apparently first books rarely do much better than break even.

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

tell the truth and don't exaggerate...